Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11/09/01

Reviews

I was at work, sitting at my desk. I had come back from lunch and glanced at Sky News online as I often did and do. First plane had hit and the surprise made me shout "Jesus Christ" across the large open plan office. Then I had to explain to everyone what was warranting of such an exclamation. I thought it was an unfortunate accident, but then the second plane hit and I knew it was no accident. Reports started to filter through about the other two planes as well and I can still remember the thought dawning on me that America was in a very VERY big spot of bother.

Luckily I knew nobody who was caught up in it. Just one person who was en-route to NY at the time, got diverted to the arse end of Canada somewhere and spent the best part of a week sitting on the floor of a public school that had been converted to house such people who were stranded.

Reviews

Like a lot of people I was at work, heard from a mate about the first plane hit (thought a tragic accident at the time) and then saw the second plane hit live. Spent most of the day feeling a bit numbed and glued to the TV.

Flew out of Heathrow on the 15th and I've never seen so many cops at an airport, we were told to arrive at least FOUR hours before the flight for extended security checks.

I was in London during 7/7 and the place was bedlam, we were all in a meeting and had no clue what had happened until the phones all lost reception and we saw everyone crowded around the TV pods

10 years since 9/11 has disappeared and I'm not sure we've learnt that much!

“'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.”.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dohnut Boy For This Useful Post:

benin (26-08-11), warmcome (26-08-11)

Quote Originally Posted by Dohnut Boy View Post
    Like a lot of people I was at work, heard from a mate about the first plane hit (thought a tragic accident at the time) and then saw the second plane hit live. Spent most of the day feeling a bit numbed and glued to the TV.

Flew out of Heathrow on the 15th and I've never seen so many cops at an airport, we were told to arrive at least FOUR hours before the flight for extended security checks.

I was in London during 7/7 and the place was bedlam, we were all in a meeting and had no clue what had happened until the phones all lost reception and we saw everyone crowded around the TV pods

10 years since 9/11 has disappeared and I'm not sure we've learnt that much!
    excellent post.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to benin For This Useful Post:

Dohnut Boy (26-08-11)

Reviews

I was hung over after a heavy night the night before. One of the worst hangovers I ever had. I was eating lunch and switched the ITV news on just shortly after the news was breaking. A while after it became it reported the other planes going down and terrorists involved. My first thoughts were the Israelis were behind it. It became clear soon after what we all know now. I woke up that morning with a bad hangover. It was nothing once I saw all that.
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

Reviews

was at work,out in the middle of a field,didnt hear about it till that night when i got home. none of the radio's in any of the machinery or vans were working!.i visited ground zero in 06..what an eary sad place,no 1 speaking,and it didnt really hit me till i saw the list of names of those that died........it seemed to go on forever,was trying my best to hold back the tears.... and now 10 years on i dont think any lessons have been learned.....

I remember sitting in a house in Clontarf, my friends father's place, watching a 14 inch TV in disbelief at what I was seeing.

Ireland are playing the USA in the Rugby World Cup on the morning of the 11th September.
    Last edited by corm; 26-08-11 at 19:38.

Was working and saw it on tv and like most people thought it was an accident till the second plane hit and i honestly cried with the totally unnecessary loss of innocent lives and the people trying to save them as the towers fell.

CBG

I've spent my entire life doing nothing but collecting comic books... and now there's only time to say... LIFE WELL SPENT!

Reviews

I had just gone back to work after lunch when the news came through that the first tower had been hit.First reports were that it was an accident but after the second plane hit it was obvious that it was a terrorist attack.I dont think that I have ever been in such a rush to get home as I was that evening and was glued to the TV coverage until the early hours of the morning.
    Last edited by westcorklad; 26-08-11 at 20:18.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post:

lovethegirls (26-08-11)

I was preparing to go for the night shift,when I say events unfolding. Couldn't beleive my eyes when I saw the second plane going into the tower. Unbeleivable! and they say God is a way of peace!

Reviews

Had one of my best friends in NY at that time? was sick with worry till i heard from. He said it was devastating. so glad to hear from him next day and know he was ok.
    Last edited by gentelmandave; 26-08-11 at 21:09.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast