Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Isle of man TT

Reviews

They've already made a film about the TT; TT3D was a (shock horror!) 3D film about the TT with Guy Martin and some privateers - even for non bikers a great film and well worth look. Some really cool onboard footage giving a sensation of the speeds that they do.

The TT is a cruel and unforgiving race. The riders know that. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the TT has left many widows and orphans - very true. However, any widow that I've seen speaking about road racing has never, I mean not one of them (and unfortunately I've listened to many over the years, and not just the TT), sought to have it banned. They understood that their partner was fully aware of the risks but was absolutely passionate about what they did.

In any event the TT is too important to the Manx economy for them to ban it.

BTW the film Senna is on release now - haven't seen it yet but fully intend doing so. He was a childhood hero of mine. I remember watching 'in cockpit' footage of him doing a lap of Monacco back in the days of manual gear changes - phenomenal. Maintaining the speeds he did while making 2 or 3 gear changes mid corner ... If I can find a youtube vid I'll post it.

FWIW, while I respect the F1 and MotoGP guys I really, really admire the road racers. I think the top prize in the most prestiguouus race for them (i.e. the IOM TT Senior ) is roughly 10k Sterling - they take huge risks, not for money, because they get to do something they love that they can't do elsewhere. For the Irish Road Racing Championship I would imagine that the prize money is miniscule and yet they give it their all ( sadly, sometimes), with tragic consequences.

That's my tuppence for tonight.

hd

Derek Brien (RIP) a roadracer from Meath sadly came unseated at Gorse Lea , a right hander taken at 150 mph on a Supersport 600 machine. At such velocities you can be lucky numerous times but unlucky just the once .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123