Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: We've come a long way..........

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under Patricia.........
    Posts
    8,423
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default We've come a long way..........

    As a nation, as people, as inhabitants of this small world........

    What are the moments that define us as a nation to you???

    Good or bad...........

    Or just moments that have changed the world, or you, as a person???
    Advertising space available for hire, and reviews for sale, just call me....xxx

    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Yes I've got one of them
    Posts
    1,296
    Reviews
    15

    Default

    Certainly plenty of things have happened that shape what Ireland and its people are today. Not many of them happened in my lifetime though.

    I think the adoption of the Euro as a currency was a pivot point. I am no raving republican but I hate anything that removes a bit of Irish from Ireland and I think the loss of the Punt was such an event. Of course I'm ignoring the wider economic reasons for it and so forth, but not having Lady Lavery or Daniel O'Connell in your pocket any more is a step away from Irishness.

    Second to that, it marks the point where rip-off Ireland was really born. A Euro just doesn't go as far as a Pound did. And at the time of conversion the retailers rounded everything upwards and some used the opportunity to sneakily increase their prices. It was disgusting and the introduction of the Euro allowed it to happen.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    854
    Reviews
    4

    Default

    I agree with banjo, I think we are loseing irishness and becomeing more european. I would like our punts and miles back.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,303
    Reviews
    15

    Default

    Although not in my opinion one of the defining moments of our country, I see the introduction of the Euro as the beginning of an increase in our confidence, we began to realise we are welcome part of the greater world and we began to shed our fear and dominance by our nearest neighbour (all perceived by us not necessarily real). Remember too when we adopted the Euro we gained 20% it was the beginning of the Celtic tiger. Our relationship with Europe is strained at the minute but we are still better regarded than Greece for instance.

    A much forgotten event that was significant in a wider scale, is the smoking ban. When you think of it we, a small country, decided to ban smoking and the rest of the world has largely followed us. Not earth shattering but an interesting example of the power of our little country. Another is the accession of the Eastern bloc countries into the EU, negotiated and achieved under Ireland's presidency of the EU, just think lads if that hadn't happened we would be deprived of the some of the finest examples of womanhood who use this site.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Yes I've got one of them
    Posts
    1,296
    Reviews
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    Although not in my opinion one of the defining moments of our country, I see the introduction of the Euro as the beginning of an increase in our confidence, we began to realise we are welcome part of the greater world and we began to shed our fear and dominance by our nearest neighbour (all perceived by us not necessarily real). Remember too when we adopted the Euro we gained 20% it was the beginning of the Celtic tiger. Our relationship with Europe is strained at the minute but we are still better regarded than Greece for instance.

    A much forgotten event that was significant in a wider scale, is the smoking ban. When you think of it we, a small country, decided to ban smoking and the rest of the world has largely followed us. Not earth shattering but an interesting example of the power of our little country. Another is the accession of the Eastern bloc countries into the EU, negotiated and achieved under Ireland's presidency of the EU, just think lads if that hadn't happened we would be deprived of the some of the finest examples of womanhood who use this site.
    There's no doubt that Ireland had to broaden its mind and realise there's a bigger world out there to which it had plenty to contribute. I just feel it did that without proper regard for its own identity.

    But yes, the women it borrowed from other nations was definately a positive. But there in itself is a test of the European project .... will the women consider Ireland home or will they just go back to where they came from when life gets better ? Sadly I believe the latter will be what happens, and Ireland goes back to what it was from a quality of women standpoint. I believe the European project is a set of ideals that will only have a defined life span. Once all the rich pickings are consumed and all possible states are in on it, what then ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,303
    Reviews
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    There's no doubt that Ireland had to broaden its mind and realise there's a bigger world out there to which it had plenty to contribute. I just feel it did that without proper regard for its own identity.

    But yes, the women it borrowed from other nations was definately a positive. But there in itself is a test of the European project .... will the women consider Ireland home or will they just go back to where they came from when life gets better ? Sadly I believe the latter will be what happens, and Ireland goes back to what it was from a quality of women standpoint. I believe the European project is a set of ideals that will only have a defined life span. Once all the rich pickings are consumed and all possible states are in on it, what then ?
    An interesting observation and one I probably agree with, there is anecdotal evidence of a lot of your Eastern European friends going back to their home countries, however in general they have begun a legacy that can only be good for the country. I think the challenge is to maintain our confidence in a positive way and not revert back to "poor old Ireland". That having been said there are a lot of good things we had before the Celtic Tiger that haven't quite disappeared and are coming back in vogue.

    Perhaps the defining moment in Irelands history is the bank bailout of September 2008 when the government decided to implement too wide a bail out and bankrupt us. But hey we got over the Famine, we can get over this too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    5,879
    Reviews
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dark-knight View Post
    I agree with banjo, I think we are losing irishness and becoming more european. I would like our punts and miles back.
    This what makes us Irish?
    Last edited by Rayden; 05-06-11 at 12:13.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,713
    Reviews
    35

    Default

    i really don't get this thread, Luther, come and fill us in a bit.
    this sounds like a thread from 2006-some sort of toast.

    Ireland has tried an economic model and welfare system/rate never
    attempted anywhere else, we borrow 60 million a day to prop things
    up-Ireland has a long way to go!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under Patricia.........
    Posts
    8,423
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    i really don't get this thread, Luther, come and fill us in a bit.
    It was just a question.......

    But I really find it sad that these are the answers......

    Banks, money, Europe, economic...

    These are the things that have defined us???

    I thought we'd done better.......given more....

    My bad........
    Advertising space available for hire, and reviews for sale, just call me....xxx

    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    Our contribution to the world of science and our scholarly work our myths legends and our way of thinking
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •