Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite films?

there are so many...where to begin

The Officer's Ward - french arthouse movie about a guy who gets half his face blown off during the first world war and spends 4-5 years in military hospital having rehab experimental surgery...one scene is memorable where several of these guys decide to visit the local bordello...extremely touching and uplifting movie

Requiem for a Dream - one of the most difficult films I have ever watched...even now would have second thoughts about watching it again....basically an urban tale about addiction and the consequences of....sounds deeply depressing i know but if you can detach yourself emotionally from the storyline the acting by Ellen Burstyn is stunning

Almost anything by the Coen brothers...in particular No Country for Old Men, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, The Big Lebowski...love the cleverness of the script writing and the apparent absurdity of their world view

Frida..the true story of the mexican artist Frida Kahlo performed by Salma Hayek...inspiring story of a woman who lived life to the full despite being in constant pain for all of her life as a result of a traffic accident in her early life. Her work is currently on exhibit with that of Diego Rivera her husband at IMMA....highly recommended if you like art with a pulse.

Withnail and I...devastatingly funny film about 2 unemployed actors played by Richard E Grant and Paul McGann...great fun

Blade Runner...I love the sci/fi genre and this film is almost a benchmark standard for me

The Outlaw Josey Wales....one of the best westerns ever made....needless to say Eastwood is stand out in it.

Harold and Maude...a cult movie about the unlikely love affair between a young man and a much older woman. She is a true social rebel and lives life entirely on her own terms. Wonderfully funny and uplifting movie.

Whale Rider...lovely film set in NZ within a Maori culture where a young girl has to contend with the inflexible traditional attitudes of her community as dictated by her grandfather and become a leader in her own way.

Thank you for Smoking.....extremely well written and acted film about a guy who works as a spin doctor on behalf of Big Tobacco. laugh out loud funny.

These are just some of the films that I have enjoyed to date. I also like a lot of well written mainstream movies

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clint Plywood For This Useful Post:

Apollo1 (13-04-11), ChiefHandker (13-04-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Again too many to mention, Chinatown would be up there. Loved Alien first time I saw it, the atmosphere it creates for the first hour is fantastic
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

Reviews

memento with guy pierce
    if you have not seen it make the time.
    very cool idea

5. The Following User Says Thank You to john connor For This Useful Post:

Bruno69 (13-04-11)

Reviews

Chambers is so clever. She's busy shagging some farm-hand in Sligo and was afraid she'd miss something interesting so started this 'what's your fave' thread, knowing that it will keep us all amused in her absence and away from weightier matters.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruno69 For This Useful Post:

Lucy Chambers (13-04-11)

Blog Entries

Too many favourites but my most favourite film ever is Shining Through (1992). Starring Michael Douglas, Melanie Griffith and Liam Neeson. The film has so much I enjoy in a film including suspense, romance, drama and sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by john connor View Post
    memento with guy pierce
    if you have not seen it make the time.
    very cool idea
    It actually only made proper sense to me when I watched the hidden extra where it runs the other way round. Very good film.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno69 View Post
    Chambers is so clever. She's busy shagging some farm-hand in Sligo and was afraid she'd miss something interesting so started this 'what's your fave' thread, knowing that it will keep us all amused in her absence and away from weightier matters.
    Darling, I dont shag, I fornicate. Wildly Spot on though.

Angels With Dirty Faces...Who doesnt love James Cagney? Great plot, excellent acting and a cryfest. Yum

Leon. What can I say? I have a morbid fascination for those with alternative lifestyles.

The Crying Game... As above
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Apocalypto directed by mel gibson back to the future and goodfellas.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    Leon. What can I say? I have a morbid fascination for those with alternative lifestyles.

I have a brilliant painting, black and white, of the two of them looking down the scope of a sniper rifle. It's just their faces and the rifle scope and barrel in between them.
    I have it at the end of the hallway opposite the front door so its the first thing anyone who comes to the house sees when they arrive.
    Last edited by willyup; 13-04-11 at 16:06.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Way too many to list.. Papillon is an outstanding film. One to watch if you haven't seen it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dave1dave For This Useful Post:

Bruno69 (13-04-11), Lincoln (13-04-11), magicalman9357 (13-04-11)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast