Thread: Census forms and religion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

I agree with you Punterminator. The Minister for Education has stated that 50% of primary schools should be outside the patronage of private religious organisations i.e. 100% under state or public control. Some argue that this is just an optimistic target and that the government would be happy to settle for a lot less. Basically, religious education or faith formation would not be part of the curriculum for the schools under state patronage........the 4 or 5 classes per week saved would be devoted to such subjects as Maths, Science, IT, English.......which are important for both the individual and for the economy. Those parents who want their children taught a particular faith or prepared for First Holy Communion or Confirmation would then have the option of this being done after regular school hours or the churches always have the option of running a Sunday School type arrangement.

No doubt, there will be those who will try to frustrate the intentions of the Minister and keep the number of schools taken out of religious patronage to a minimum. The best way to support the Minister is to do what the electorate did to Fianna Fail in February and record ones religion as anything but Roman Catholic. The Irish people and the many immigrants from a wide range of cultures now living here deserve a proper choice as to how their children should be educated and only the state can provide this choice.

I also agree that filling in Jedi is a waste of time, as those replies will just be regarded as the work of cranks. You need to choose a sensible option such as No Religion (aetheist or agnostic) or one of the Protestant churches to make most use of the census.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos marvado For This Useful Post:

punterminator (08-04-11), warmcome (08-04-11)