Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is there a moderator

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by An don View Post
    Why was the thread closed ?
    Because you are an EI lacky and you cant argue a simple point with out going on a tirade .
    i think he might have been an altar boy as a child, dark dark memories id imagine.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheCelticDream For This Useful Post:

An don (06-04-11)

You're not a very pleasant individual are you thecelticdream?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    You're not a very pleasant individual are you thecelticdream?
    somebody is finally noticing..pitty ur opinion is wasted on me.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Sensitive people like you are whats gets the threads closed you reported a joke and then the thread was closed then you start whining about moderators closing them not once but twice with two threads you opened, you might want to look at yourself in the mirror and see the person who got the thread closed. You also are against this site in subtle ways i have found, if all you are going to do is complain about the site and staff a lot of the time then why even come here at all. You only create unnecessary drama, i'm pretty new here and thats the vibe i always get from you you are disruptive to the site quite often. It does not take a rocket scientist to see you for what you are.

Ok mr EI

I reported one post on a thread which I found offensive and Im sure Im not the only one . Now you are basing your opinion of me since you joined which was in March . So you my friend are full of shit and are on the EI gravy train. I might be desruptive(to the benefit of punters here) as you have said but at least Im honest and my intentions are real. Where are yours ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to An don For This Useful Post:

tuam sham (06-04-11)

Reviews

Sensitive people like you are whats gets the threads closed you reported a joke and then the thread was closed then you start whining about moderators closing them not once but twice with two threads you opened, you might want to look at yourself in the mirror and see the person who got the thread closed. You also are against this site in subtle ways i have found, if all you are going to do is complain about the site and staff a lot of the time then why even come here at all. You only create unnecessary drama, i'm pretty new here and thats the vibe i always get from you, you are disruptive to the site quite often. It does not take a rocket scientist to see you for what you are.
    Well i'm not remotely religious but your deleted post was the height of ignorance and not remotely funny.

One thing i can't get my head around though... You're banging on about embracing our roots and everything Irish, going on about ancient oaks, druids, the hills of Tara etc yet you show such disgust for Irish Catholicism. Like it or not, Catholicism is intrinsic to Irish culture and heritage. Up until relatively recently it was also crucial to us maintaining our national identity (for example GAA & Cultural Nationalism movement etc) and it could be said that it played a pivotal role in gaining our independence. As said i'm not religious so i'm certainly not endorsing the Catholic church, merely pointing out that your hatred seems to show a discrepancy when embracing our "roots"

Anyway, that's all off the point. Please continue tearing each other to pieces

Reviews

Why don't you tell that to the thousands of women enslaved in catholic institutions and were beaten and abused by nuns. If you were planning to anger me you have succeeded.
    on a scale of 1-10 how angry are you?

Reviews

I have reopened that thread about the Gardai joking about raping a protestor which was captured on a cam corder. So you can go back to debating gas, protests, police and bad driving, trees, Tara, some strange form of moss in Kerry, talking to trees, hugging trees, f**king trees for all I care. You may also discuse the Bishop of Rome and what he did or did'nt know and when he did or did'nt know what he knew or did'nt know...........I don't know and I don't propose to spend all f**king night trying to find out either.

So continue your debate.......but no personal insults, and no insulting another person's theological, political, philosophical views either or their perverted sexual predilections for that matter.
    Last edited by carlos marvado; 06-04-11 at 02:22.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos marvado For This Useful Post:

An don (06-04-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefHandker View Post
    Well i'm not remotely religious but your deleted post was the height of ignorance and not remotely funny.

One thing i can't get my head around though... You're banging on about embracing our roots and everything Irish, going on about ancient oaks, druids, the hills of Tara etc yet you show such disgust for Irish Catholicism. Like it or not, Catholicism is intrinsic to Irish culture and heritage. Up until relatively recently it was also crucial to us maintaining our national identity (for example GAA & Cultural Nationalism movement etc) and it could be said that it played a pivotal role in gaining our independence. As said i'm not religious so i'm certainly not endorsing the Catholic church, merely pointing out that your hatred seems to show a discrepancy when embracing our "roots"

Anyway, that's all off the point. Please continue tearing each other to pieces
    Actually the form of diocesan catholicism that superceded the monastic form of Christianity that was originally established in Ireland, was enforced on the people firstly as a result of the Synod of Kells and then finally by the Anglo-Norman invasion. The pope of the time sanctioned the Anglo-Norman invasion in order to bring the Irish church fully under the authority of Rome:

"The invasion was supposedly legitimised by the provisions of the Papal Bull Laudabiliter, issued by Adrian IV in 1155. The bull encouraged Henry to take control in Ireland in order to oversee the financial and administrative reorganisation of the Irish Church and its integration into the Roman Church system.[33] Some restructuring had already begun at the ecclesiastical level following the Synod of Kells in 1152.[34] There has been significant controversy regarding authenticity of Laudabiliter,[35] and there is no general agreement as to whether the bull was genuine or a forgery.[36][37]

In 1172, the new pope, Alexander III, further encouraged Henry to advance the integration of the Irish Church with Rome. Henry was authorised to impose a tithe of one penny per hearth as an annual contribution. This church levy, called Peter's Pence, is still extant in Ireland as a voluntary donation." (from Ireland/History in Wikipedia)

But for those who wish to go even further back, our roots, as those of every other people, are pagan.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos marvado For This Useful Post:

Brock (06-04-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by carlos marvado View Post
    Actually the form of diocesan catholicism that superceded the monastic form of Christianity that was originally established in Ireland, was enforced on the people firstly as a result of the Synod of Kells and then finally by the Anglo-Norman invasion. The pope of the time sanctioned the Anglo-Norman invasion in order to bring the Irish church fully under the authority of Rome:

"The invasion was supposedly legitimised by the provisions of the Papal Bull Laudabiliter, issued by Adrian IV in 1155. The bull encouraged Henry to take control in Ireland in order to oversee the financial and administrative reorganisation of the Irish Church and its integration into the Roman Church system.[33] Some restructuring had already begun at the ecclesiastical level following the Synod of Kells in 1152.[34] There has been significant controversy regarding authenticity of Laudabiliter,[35] and there is no general agreement as to whether the bull was genuine or a forgery.[36][37]

In 1172, the new pope, Alexander III, further encouraged Henry to advance the integration of the Irish Church with Rome. Henry was authorised to impose a tithe of one penny per hearth as an annual contribution. This church levy, called Peter's Pence, is still extant in Ireland as a voluntary donation." (from Ireland/History in Wikipedia)

But for those who wish to go even further back, our roots, as those of every other people, are pagan.
    Haha i'm not sure if you're being mildly pedantic here but that quote from wiki doesn't conflict with the point i was trying to make. As you say, it just depends how far you go back. Personally i think it's impossible to draw an invisble cut off line of say 500, 1000 or 2000 years to state that a particular period is where we should derive our roots from.

Regarding the church, i was highlighting the role they played in promoting our ancient heritage and re-establishing our national identity, be it through the literary revival, the Gaelic league, the GAA etc. I also made the point that they played a big part for us in gaining our national sovereignty through support of the land leagues and various political parties, not to mention the IRB.

My points is, Catholicism, like it or not, is every much a part of the genetic makeup of our nation as anything else mentioned, hence why i was pointing out the contradiction of sorts in that Brock wants to embrace all things old and Irish yet despises one particular aspect. I don’t see why you’d disregard it as not being part of our “roots” just because it’s more contemporary than say, the druids & Celts.. after all, at one point the Celts were settlers too (from Iberia?) just as the Normans were.

Bah I had a better post twice as long as this typed out when my computer crashed. The real question here is wtf am i doing typing this out at 4:40 in the morning on a subject i couldn't really give a shit about.
    I'm off to start a Good Morning thread. Ta.
    Last edited by ChiefHandker; 06-04-11 at 03:44.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChiefHandker For This Useful Post:

carlos marvado (06-04-11)

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    Benny crossed to the dark side. Now An Don is bad bad bad
    Now he's banned banned banned.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast