6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republicans

3 50.00%
  • Nationalists

3 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Civil war poll

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno69 View Post
    Seems a trip to the bookstore is on the cards for me in the morning then.

Sounds interesting.
    Google is your friend. Get ready though, as GF/Texas/Dublinladdie loves cut and paste with a passion. The best troll we have.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    Google is your friend. Get ready though, as GF/Texas/Dublinladdie loves cut and paste with a passion. The best troll we have.
    I need a good book anyway. All these lonely nights, you know ?

Oh, I have a good one for you, it's one of my favourites.

The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber. Look out for Miss Sugar

black book of communism is a great read

Reviews

I see as of now only 4 people voted in the poll 3 for the Nationalists and only one for the Republicans for whom quite a few Irish men died for fighting as members of the International Brigades , and before anyone says it I know quit a few followed O Duffy fighting on the fascist side. Now I just wonder how well we all understand the history of 20th century warfare ?

interesting topic for a Punters Board,
    there was such carnage on both sides that I can't really vote in this poll... although two things struck me as interesting:
    When Franco's forces attempted to take the City of Barcelona, the police & the armed anarchists held them at bay for over a year.. of course Franco committed some serious bloodshed when they forced their way in..gather this is etched into the Catalan psyche to this day.
    An old geezer who was something of a hermit where I grew up passed away in the 80s- nobody in IRL really knew much of his involvement in the SCW.. until at his funeral, a considerable bunch of his comrades from the International Brigade that fought alongside the Basques showed up to drape his coffin in a Basque flag- as a child I didn't have a notion what this meant but even then I was touched that someone could believe so strongly in a cause that they'd travel half way across europe to fight for something they believed in.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Franken996 View Post
    interesting topic for a Punters Board,
    there was such carnage on both sides that I can't really vote in this poll... although two things struck me as interesting:
    When Franco's forces attempted to take the City of Barcelona, the police & the armed anarchists held them at bay for over a year.. of course Franco committed some serious bloodshed when they forced their way in..gather this is etched into the Catalan psyche to this day.
    An old geezer who was something of a hermit where I grew up passed away in the 80s- nobody in IRL really knew much of his involvement in the SCW.. until at his funeral, a considerable bunch of his comrades from the International Brigade that fought alongside the Basques showed up to drape his coffin in a Basque flag- as a child I didn't have a notion what this meant but even then I was touched that someone could believe so strongly in a cause that they'd travel half way across europe to fight for something they believed in.
    Indeed there were many brave men on both side in the conflict all of which had the courage of there convictions to stand up and be counted and fight for what they believed in. The Spanish civil war was basically a fight against Fascism it became a proving ground for Hitlers armed forces and a frighting in site into what was to come later during ww2

sadly the spanish civil war has taken another victim.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    sadly the spanish civil war has taken another victim.
    nice shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Paul View Post
    nice shot!
    It was a noble death.

From 1936 earlier and onwards the world was in Global recession. The information available was limited and highly compromised. To fight for a cause is wonderful but was the cause just that? We do not know.

I will miss GF. He is an excellent troll.
    Last edited by lucy chambers; 02-04-11 at 00:13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast