Quote Originally Posted by robijntje View Post
The most ideal thing would be replacing the primary HDD with an SSD so that the access times for the OS drastically improve. However, for data storage, I would still recommend the convential HDD's as the price /gigabyte is much lower and the capacity of the SSD's isn't that big (yet).

SSD's will replace HDD's in the future, but that's not something to be worried about just yet. It will take maybe as long as that Blu Ray will completely replace DVD: it could take a while.

Also, Anon, congrats on doing this but make sure to optimize your SSD to the fullest, carefully, otherwise it might be that after a while the SSD will become slower than your old HDD . Just sayin'.

And actually, if you really want to get the best speeds out of the SSD, update your RAM as well... the SSD will never reach the speed of the RAM memory but still... SSD's perform best on systems that have the max RAM installed (an x86 architecture with max like 4 GB of RAM... install an SSD, assign the paging, and DROOOOOOLLLL at the speeds...
Yep done all above, I use the SSD purely as a boot drive and left my scsi drives as storage, was going to install 64bit windows 7 but I was a bit worried that not all my programs would be compatible, going to do a little more research and if all is ok I'm going to bump her up to 64bit, that way I can bump the ram up even higher than the 4gb ceiling x86(32bit) allows