Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible Spelling

Reviews

hmm we ran into trouble recently over the punctuation of a certain lady poster!!,,,,,

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I start threads here in the hope i might start some form of intelligent debate and it can be quite frusturating to see the same
    people consistently jump in and fill up the threads with utter shite, some of these people have thousands of posts and out of
    all those wouldnt have started a dozen decent threads. When this is pointed out to them ure told tis all a joke and lighten up
    well i fail to see the funny side to be honest
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Is the terrible standard of spelling an indictment of our education system ?or is
    it the direct result of technology, txting, abbreviations being used in chatrooms
    on social networking sites and twitter etc. Poor handwriting seemed to be the
    bain of educated people in the past now it seems to have graduated to their
    spelling
    Folks,

I will put this out there as food for thought:

Poor spelling is a result of the gradual decline in the requirement for essay writing in second and third level education. There was a time where serious writing was the ONLY way to achieve your Leaving Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Over time, it became too much for teachers and professors to mark such papers due to larger classes, time constraints, fewer teaching assistants, etc.

It is quite common now for assignments to consist of short essay papers, oral presentations, multiple choice and true and false examinations, etc. For example, it is much quicker for a teacher in a second level program to mark multiple choice and true and false papers. At the university level, fewer teaching assistants mean that professors no longer have the benefit of graduate and post graduate students to grade essay papers for them. As a result, these professors often will only require one or two essays for a course as opposed to a time when three to four papers per course would be the norm.

On top of this, you have the "instant culture" that exists whereby everything is in "real time" with brief and speed being the key to communication. People want to convey the shortest amount of info in the fastest way possible. Hence, you often get mindless drivel on twitter and facebook. People no longer have the time or desire for serious writing and reading. Tell me when you last read the New York Times, The Economist, The Sunday Times, etc. There are young people who have never read any of the publications that I just mentioned. Yet, they can tell you the top ten on twitter or how many followers some famous person has on facebook or spend an hour saying ffs, lol, lmao, psml, stfu, tgif, etc over the most mundane topics while on msn, yahoo or in any chatroom.

Just my thoughts.

Regards.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Hobbyist For This Useful Post:

benin (18-02-11), ber (18-02-11), City Gent (18-02-11), mellors (18-02-11), monster_monster (19-02-11)

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    I have to say I think punctuation is more important than spelling.

FFS don't get ber started on punctuation mate he's grumpy enough tonight already

CG
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Wise men talk because they have something to say;
    fools talk because they have to say something:
    Plato

Reviews

I start threads here in the hope i might start some form of intelligent debate and it can be quite frusturating to see the same
    people consistently jump in and fill up the threads with utter shite, some of these people have thousands of posts and out of
    all those wouldnt have started a dozen decent threads. When this is pointed out to them ure told tis all a joke and lighten up
    ber, my good man, with your 3445 posts can you not see that your tendency to fly off the handle leads ppl to wind you up, nothing personal from me man and ill refrain from filling your intellectual posts with my non serious posts
    i am sooooo deeply sorry if i have offended,
    honestly
    (in the style of fr jack in fr ted)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kelso For This Useful Post:

City Gent (18-02-11)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Going forward, I agree 110%.
    Come in she said "I'll give you shelter from the storm "

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbyist View Post
    Folks,

I will put this out there as food for thought:

Poor spelling is a result of the gradual decline in the requirement for essay writing in second and third level education. There was a time where serious writing was the ONLY way to achieve your Leaving Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Over time, it became too much for teachers and professors to mark such papers due to larger classes, time constraints, fewer teaching assistants, etc.

It is quite common now for assignments to consist of short essay papers, oral presentations, multiple choice and true and false examinations, etc. For example, it is much quicker for a teacher in a second level program to mark multiple choice and true and false papers. At the university level, fewer teaching assistants mean that professors no longer have the benefit of graduate and post graduate students to grade essay papers for them. As a result, these professors often will only require one or two essays for a course as opposed to a time when three to four papers per course would be the norm.

On top of this, you have the "instant culture" that exists whereby everything is in "real time" with brief and speed being the key to communication. People want to convey the shortest amount of info in the fastest way possible. Hence, you often get mindless drivel on twitter and facebook. People no longer have the time or desire for serious writing and reading. Tell me when you last read the New York Times, The Economist, The Sunday Times, etc. There are young people who have never read any of the publications that I just mentioned. Yet, they can tell you the top ten on twitter or how many followers some famous person has on facebook or spend an hour saying ffs, lol, lmao, psml, stfu, tgif, etc over the most mundane topics while on msn, yahoo or in any chatroom.

Just my thoughts.

Regards.
    I think that was a brilliant post and i wholeheartdly agree with what u say. Personally i would never buy a tabloid newespaper
    only broadsheets and would regularly buy the ones uve mentioned. If u want to get a varied view and opinion u have to as ,the
    tabloids dont have columnists per say that give a view on any topic. While columists on broadsheets often are biased and
    have agendas they still create constructive debate and debate is always good
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

That's not like you.

CG

Plato

Reviews

I think that was a brilliant post and i wholeheartdly agree with what u say. Personally i would never buy a tabloid newespaper
    only broadsheets and would regularly buy the ones uve mentioned. If u want to get a varied view and opinion u have to as ,the
    tabloids dont have columnists per say that give a view on any topic. While columists on broadsheets often are biased and
    have agendas they still create constructive debate and debate is always good
    Ber,

Might I add that the headline "Gov't backtracks on forestry policy" is never going to get the same interest as the headline "Katie Price finds out her man is a trannie".

Regards.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Hobbyist For This Useful Post:

ber (18-02-11)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbyist View Post
    Ber,

Might I add that the headline "Gov't backtracks on forestry policy" is never going to get the same interest as the headline "Katie Price finds out her man is a trannie".

Regards.

Who's Katie Price?

CG

Plato

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast