Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: How safe is your identity on this site???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    Reviews
    9

    Default How safe is your identity on this site???

    I sometimes find it a harrowing thought on just how safe your identity is on this site. Not knowing much about the art of computer science, ie - what exactly is an IP address, does the management of this site know who you are, or at least what your address is, I think they can narrow it down to the street where you live. If the shit ever hits the fan, perhaps a different government might want to sort these sites out and do a bit of naming and shaming or something on those lines. You can have a different sim card for your phone, but what can you do about an IP address, an escort once told me to can hide your IP address by tampering with the settings on your computer. What do the Garda know, it's not out of the question for the management of this site to have an arrangement with them, although doubt if that's the case.

    Private messages is another issue, I'm pretty certain that the people on the top level of this can quite easily access all the private messages you have ever sent. That would make me want to bow my head down in shame, I've sent some pretty weird ones in my time, the mods mightn't be able able to access them, but I'm the top brass can.

    So just how safe are we, what information has been collated about us all, some members mightn't give a toss, but one day in the future it could be your downfall.

    Anybody got any answers that might put me at ease.

    Once a prick - always a prick.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:

    Morpheus (30-01-11)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a big bed wearing hot underwear!
    Posts
    2,782

    Default

    Hey Rover its not illegal to post on the boards of this site
    I know what you mean though hun, sometimes your head can run away with fears!!
    You got to nip them in the bud and see it for what it is..... banter on the boards of a fun and sexy website
    The Garda would have a stupid amount of ip's to go through and for what...... people joining and posting on a legal site??
    You cant name and shame someone for perfectly harmless behavior!

    Also be discreet in your pm's. If your going to contact someone with more personal details (dates, places etc) use your hotmail/gmail acc. I'm sure the pm system is perfectly safe and private but this will help alleviate those fears.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Fiona For This Useful Post:

    Rodney69 (30-01-11), rover (30-01-11)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    Reviews
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    Hey Rover its not illegal to post on the boards of this site
    I know what you mean though hun, sometimes your head can run away with fears!!
    You got to nip them in the bud and see it for what it is..... banter on the boards of a fun and sexy website
    The Garda would have a stupid amount of ip's to go through and for what...... people joining and posting on a legal site??
    You cant name and shame someone for perfectly harmless behavior!

    Also be discreet in your pm's. If your going to contact someone with more personal details (dates, places etc) use your hotmail/gmail acc. I'm sure the pm system is perfectly safe and private but this will help alleviate those fears.
    Thank you Fiona, the mention of your name has left me relaxed and with a big bulge in my trousers,, I suppose you could call me a bit of an alarmist, but thanks.
    Last edited by rover; 30-01-11 at 13:45.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In a cathouse
    Posts
    3,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    26

    Default

    You need to decide who you want to worry about. Here's a partial list of options:
    - Your wife, and anyone else in the house.
    - The neighbours
    - Your ISP
    - E-I's ISP
    - The mods
    - The staff
    - The site owners
    - The database admin
    - The server hosting company
    - Random people like me
    - An Garda Siochana
    - The courts
    - GCHQ
    - The NSA
    Until you've decided who you are worried about, it's hard to say how worried you should be, or what to do about it.

    “I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a big bed wearing hot underwear!
    Posts
    2,782

    Default

    My fingers are running through your hair as your cheek is rested on my bosom!
    Your tail has gone from a brisk agitated wag to a soft and lazy swish up against me

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Fiona For This Useful Post:

    rover (30-01-11)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    Reviews
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    You need to decide who you want to worry about. Here's a partial list of options:
    - Your wife, and anyone else in the house.
    - The neighbours
    - Your ISP
    - E-I's ISP
    - The mods
    - The staff
    - The site owners
    - The database admin
    - The server hosting company
    - Random people like me
    - An Garda Siochana
    - The courts
    - GCHQ
    - The NSA
    Until you've decided who you are worried about, it's hard to say how worried you should be, or what to do about it.
    Thanks El Gordo, that makes me feel great.

    Once a prick - always a prick.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,282
    Reviews
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    My fingers are running through your hair as your cheek is rested on my bosom!
    Your tail has gone from a brisk agitated wag to a soft and lazy swish up against me
    How romantic, I wonder one day will I be able to do that and make my dreams comes true.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:

    Irish Fiona (30-01-11)

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In a cathouse
    Posts
    3,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Thanks El Gordo, that makes me feel great.
    Relax. Most of the people or institutions on that list don't care about you or me. For example, are you Gerry Adams or Martin McGuinness? No? Then you can probably cross GCHQ off the list. The server hosting company is in Atlanta, I think. Unlikely to be interested in you. To be honest, I think you can probably cross off all but the first line of that list.

    “I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Independent Republic of Cork
    Posts
    6,125
    Reviews
    14

    Default



    The Truth is out there.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westcorklad For This Useful Post:

    Irish Fiona (30-01-11), rover (30-01-11)

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ten thousand miles away
    Posts
    951
    Reviews
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    I sometimes find it a harrowing thought on just how safe your identity is on this site. Not knowing much about the art of computer science, ie - what exactly is an IP address, does the management of this site know who you are, or at least what your address is, I think they can narrow it down to the street where you live. If the shit ever hits the fan, perhaps a different government might want to sort these sites out and do a bit of naming and shaming or something on those lines. You can have a different sim card for your phone, but what can you do about an IP address, an escort once told me to can hide your IP address by tampering with the settings on your computer. What do the Garda know, it's not out of the question for the management of this site to have an arrangement with them, although doubt if that's the case.
    An IP address identifies a connection to the internet. If you are sitting at home in a house with one computer and a broadband connection then it identifies your computer. Your IP address may change from day to day, some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) do that while others leave you with the same one as long as you are a customer.

    Like any website, E-I can see your address. They will be able to know with certainty, which ISP it is from and that will tell them the country that you are in. Like many website, E-I think that that they can tell more than that. There are commercial services that will tell a website which city or even city district a certain IP address comes from. These services are unreliable and they will often give wrong results.

    Your ISP knows a lot more than that. They know which customer goes with each IP address - they are required by EU law to log that information and to retain it for between 6 and 24 months. They also retain logs of the websites that you visit. A court can order them to hand over that data to the police or even to private bodies such as music publishers.

    There have been cases of staff selling the content of these logs to private investigators and the like.

    What can you do to hide things?

    It is possible to use a proxy service. With a proxy, you only have one communication link out of your computer. This will be a heavily encrypted connection to a server in some other part of the world. My ISP knows that one such link is currently emerging from my residence and that it is connected to a server located in another country. There is not enough computing power available in Ireland to decrypt that traffic so I feel pretty secure from their prying eyes. To get a service like that which is good enough to use all the time, you have to be prepared to pay. There are free sevices around but they perform poorly and limit how much you can use them.

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sharkskin For This Useful Post:

    Escort Advertiseremmasweet (31-01-11), hornylimerick (30-01-11), Irish Fiona (30-01-11), Morpheus (30-01-11), Rodney69 (30-01-11), rover (30-01-11), westcorklad (30-01-11)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •