Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Any mechanics or electricial engineers?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    east
    Posts
    580
    Reviews
    23

    Default Any mechanics or electricial engineers?

    have a problem with xeron lights, they came standard on the car and on dip the lights are really bad.
    was in at a main dealer and i can see they are setting it up to rip me, said they will change one of bulbs which has to b ordered in and than see from there to try and find problem (which i know they will get at least a day out of). !!
    anyone one on here any ideas??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,434
    Reviews
    8

    Default

    Why are they setting it up to rip you off?

    From my experience Xenon lights are expensive, and it is usually the board and not the bulb.
    This is based on my own cars, not that I personally know anything more about it.
    Why not look on the Internet to see what goes wrong with your own particular make and model of car, and eBay to find spare parts.
    Chances are you'll end up back in the garage, go to an SIMI approved garage or main dealers. I personally think the back street places are a waste of time for anything other than the simplest of jobs and even then you are better leaving it to the specialists.
    But again, just my opinion and what do I know.
    There is only a bulb. and a board in the headlamp that powers the bulb.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    If im lucky..its with Ms Chambers
    Posts
    2,553
    Reviews
    6

    Default

    Try some of the motoring forums for your make of car . Usually they come up trumps
    Last edited by An don; 29-01-11 at 16:55.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mid ulster
    Posts
    777
    Reviews
    4

    Default

    Google "make model of car + xenon lights + faults" and see what comes up for ideas. Main dealerships are rip off merchants but xenon lights are a cruel price. Think they were about 80 a pair a few years back but maybe they have dropped in price since.
    Maybe the reflectors in the back of the headlights need cleaned or replaced ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lost in space
    Posts
    2,648
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mathsteacher View Post
    have a problem with xeron lights, they came standard on the car and on dip the lights are really bad.
    was in at a main dealer and i can see they are setting it up to rip me, said they will change one of bulbs which has to b ordered in and than see from there to try and find problem (which i know they will get at least a day out of). !!
    anyone one on here any ideas??
    Don't know about cars, but was talking with a mechanic from 'yester years', and he said mechanics, like himself have been put out of business by today's cars; one has to go to the dealership and have them do the repairing-it's all sown up-you have to give the dealerships their money!
    Last edited by anitasizzle; 29-01-11 at 17:13.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    east
    Posts
    580
    Reviews
    23

    Default

    thanks for reply
    cause it is main dealer for make of car and they will take their time in finding problem so as to clock up the hours.
    yeah the lights are a rip bulbs are 80 each think the proper one's are 260 each
    think there is more than just bulb and board, there may b power pack too
    are the lights on ur car giving good visiblity?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post
    Why are they setting it up to rip you off?

    From my experience Xenon lights are expensive, and it is usually the board and not the bulb.
    This is based on my own cars, not that I personally know anything more about it.
    Why not look on the Internet to see what goes wrong with your own particular make and model of car, and eBay to find spare parts.
    Chances are you'll end up back in the garage, go to an SIMI approved garage or main dealers. I personally think the back street places are a waste of time for anything other than the simplest of jobs and even then you are better leaving it to the specialists.
    But again, just my opinion and what do I know.
    There is only a bulb. and a board in the headlamp that powers the bulb.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    east
    Posts
    580
    Reviews
    23

    Default

    thanks an don and derry lad,
    try that but its just pages of bullshit and hard to find stuff specific to what i need
    Quote Originally Posted by Derry lad View Post
    Google "make model of car + xenon lights + faults" and see what comes up for ideas. Main dealerships are rip off merchants but xenon lights are a cruel price. Think they were about 80 a pair a few years back but maybe they have dropped in price since.
    Maybe the reflectors in the back of the headlights need cleaned or replaced ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,713
    Reviews
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anitasizzle View Post
    Don't know about cars, but was talking with a mechanic from 'yester years', and said mechanics, like himself have been put out of business by today's cars; one has to go to the dealership and have them do the repairing-it's all sown up-you have to give the dealerships their money!
    correct Anita! modern cars have become much more complicated. the dealership
    works you for cash long after the initial purchase...
    Last edited by warmcome; 29-01-11 at 17:14.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mid ulster
    Posts
    777
    Reviews
    4

    Default

    Up here in the north you can get smaller garages that specialize in a certain make of car eg vw Audi only or alfa fiat only. They are generally a lot cheaper than main dealerships and a lot more tuned in as they own the business and take more of an interest in sorting your problem. Also they are more likely to have access to or locating cheaper or 2nd hand parts. Check yellow pages or golden pages under garages and the brand of your car. Or search under auto electricians.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    east
    Posts
    580
    Reviews
    23

    Default

    good idea thanks i will try that

    Quote Originally Posted by Derry lad View Post
    Up here in the north you can get smaller garages that specialize in a certain make of car eg vw Audi only or alfa fiat only. They are generally a lot cheaper than main dealerships and a lot more tuned in as they own the business and take more of an interest in sorting your problem. Also they are more likely to have access to or locating cheaper or 2nd hand parts. Check yellow pages or golden pages under garages and the brand of your car. Or search under auto electricians.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •