I liked VJs observations on the "who would make a good mod thread". I think it is relevant here.

Vampire Jackie says
Before i started this job i had used many forums over the years in a poster capacity and its not until i got a few months into this job, I realised how difficult moderating can be.
As some have said already it can be a thankless job, and you can often be seen as the bad boy/girl when things get heated on here.
One of the most difficult things i found ,is judging personalities online. How to tell when a poster is joking, having a laugh, and not being serious about what they are saying. It is a very difficult role to do sometimes. Also every person is different, will judge a situation different, what one person may do, another may not.
Hopefully we have turned things around for the best, trying to get conisistency in decisions made, and there is always lots of discussion that goes on in the background on difficult situations. The moderators and the manager have to help each other all the time, its a big team. We all make mistakes and make bad calls sometimes, and we have to deal with that and move on to the next drama.

All the moderators working here sometimes get slated, but most of them spend a lot of time on this site, helping out, and are trying to do the best by everyone.

I do understand this thread is a bit of fun, but it is a difficult role, you have to try and be impartial, and judge everything fairly and against the rules and guidelines off the site.