Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northside / Southside divide ?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by scotus View Post
    I would have most big cities have something equivalent.

I lived in Chicago for a while, and it was slightly odder in that it had a South side, West side, and North side - but no East side!

The North side is the posh part, while the South side is a little suspect, while the West side is downright dangerous.
    Looking at a map of Chicago, wouldn't the East side be Lake Michigan?

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Looking at a map of Chicago, wouldn't the East side be Lake Michigan?
    Well, yes and no.

East is Lake Michigan alright, but that's not actually in the city, if you see what I mean, so you couldn't call that the East side of the City. East OF the city maybe.
    The Gods are just, and of our pleasant vices
    Make instruments to plague us

In galway, people talk about westside and eastside.

Blog Entries

That's just people ... all groups divide in even smaller groups and see the rest of the smaller groups worst then them.

Kindergarten, school, work, village or city etc. everywhere is the same and I yet have to see some place or institution that is not like this. There are always groups who think they are much better and most times they are more or less just the same as all the others.

In case of Dublin, Cork etc. it probably started from some economical reasons. The north had lots of social housings, more barren industrial areas while in the south people had the privilege of being closer to more signs of civilisation and culture. But the more time passes, the less it applies. North people can be found anytime in the south parts, the posh south people may run a business in the north and decide to move there etc ...

These days, 90% of those cases are just people being snobs and childishly competitive. Or just learn from early age that's how is suppose to be and stick with the idea. Unfortunately, there are still sad and valid differences left in the world, only they are very unlikely to be found here in Ireland.

Reviews

Derry has the Bogside or cityside on the north and then u have the Waterside on the southside. Religious divide more than financial.
    Belfast has N S E and West. South would be as posh as it gets but each quarter has more divides within divides I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave1dave View Post
    Just something that came up on another thread got me thinking.

How many Citys / Towns have a divide like Dublin.

And why ? Is it just a need to slag people that are from a different area ?

I'm not from Dublin but it always amazes me how annoyed people can get over being called a northside Knacker, or equally a Southside snob.
    Chicago to some degrees, but it's the Northside that has the snobs and the Southside with the 'Working-class (knackers); it didn't always be that way, the Southside was more developed, but then the Great Chicago Fire destroyed all that, supposely the fire was started by an Irish woman's cow

P.S. I once met a Dub from the Northsiide who said she didn't cross the liffey until well into her 60's; she said she never had any reason to go to the Southside.
    Last edited by anitasizzle; 17-01-11 at 23:47.

Los Angeles has these same kind of divides. People from the West Side slag on people from The Valley all the time, even though The Valley has much less traffic and nicer folks. As was said before, it's all just a silly competition. But there are some truly dangerous spots in LA. Stay out of Compton! ;-)

Blog Entries

Talking

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sensual Delights For This Useful Post:

dave1dave (18-01-11)

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual Delights View Post
    That's just people ... all groups divide in even smaller groups and see the rest of the smaller groups worst then them.

Kindergarten, school, work, village or city etc. everywhere is the same and I yet have to see some place or institution that is not like this. There are always groups who think they are much better and most times they are more or less just the same as all the others.

In case of Dublin, Cork etc. it probably started from some economical reasons. The north had lots of social housings, more barren industrial areas while in the south people had the privilege of being closer to more signs of civilisation and culture. But the more time passes, the less it applies. North people can be found anytime in the south parts, the posh south people may run a business in the north and decide to move there etc ...

These days, 90% of those cases are just people being snobs and childishly competitive. Or just learn from early age that's how is suppose to be and stick with the idea. Unfortunately, there are still sad and valid differences left in the world, only they are very unlikely to be found here in Ireland.
    ===================================

Sensual, re: all this deep thinking near to the point of philosophising are you contemplating an impending career change ?
    if so I must get to see you before the break , lol !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    ===================================

Sensual, re: all this deep thinking near to the point of philosophising are you contemplating an impending career change ?
    if so I must get to see you before the break , lol !
    Nope huni, what I said it's just common sense, nothing to do with philosophy.

And yeah, I do contemplate a career change, but it's not going to happen for a good while, so you have plenty of time to see me if you wish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12