Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Czechs Under Fire For 'Arousal' Testing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default Czechs Under Fire For 'Arousal' Testing

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageViewer.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	34219The Czech government has come under fire for using controversial “sexual arousal” tests where male asylum seekers are shown pornography to check if they are homosexual.

    The report, issued by the Agency for Fundamental Rights states that the Czech Republic employs phallometric testing - where men are shown both homosexual and heterosexual pornography while censors monitor the blood flow to the penis – to distinguish genuinely gay asylum seekers from those that might use claims of homosexuality, and subsequent persecution, back home in an fraudulent attempt to get into the country.

    The Agency for Fundamental Rights also said that the test could fall foul of the European Charter of Human Rights, which prohibits degrading and humiliating treatment, adding that "this exam is particularly inappropriate for asylum seekers, given the fact that many of them might have suffered abuse due to their sexual orientation".

    Vladimir Repka, a spokesman for the Czech interior ministry, defended the test explained that it was applied mainly to asylum seekers from countries "that severely punish homosexuality".

    "These are people from areas where Islamic Sharia law is applied, or from countries which have a strong Islamic influence," he explained, citing Iran, Syria, Azerbaijan and Nigeria as examples.”


    Is this good, bad or ugly?

    GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    854
    Reviews
    4

    Default

    Thats just wrong no matter what way I look at it. Whenever I here a story no matter how bad, I try to see it from an other perspective but this one is just wrong.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    Obviously its a bad thing.
    This goes against any civil rights that they have
    Also if they do come from countries taht have strict treatment of homosexuals they will be more conditioned better to hide it or to try adn conform to the hertrosexual norms in order to evade abuse

    What if they are bi sexual ?
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Obviously its a bad thing.
    This goes against any civil rights that they have
    Also if they do come from countries taht have strict treatment of homosexuals they will be more conditioned better to hide it or to try adn conform to the hertrosexual norms in order to evade abuse

    What if they are bi sexual ?
    You would not be able to hide it, as it is meant to arouse your subconsciousness. So if you were bi, you would be outed...
    Surely if it is in order to double check that they are gay, in order for them to claim asylum?

    Is it not OK then?
    GL
    Last edited by Gaylord; 20-12-10 at 05:15. Reason: edit
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In a cathouse
    Posts
    3,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    26

    Default

    Interesting that someone is worried about straight people passing as gay. Not something you run into all that often.

    “I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,434
    Reviews
    8

    Default

    Fair play, Mr Lord, I don't know where you find these things, but you always make me think. :-)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post
    Fair play, Mr Lord, I don't know where you find these things, but you always make me think. :-)
    That's what I want to do OM....


    GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,442

    Default

    Interesting report. The test is obviously designed to weed out bogus gay asylum seekers who know that their countries of origin are on a list of countries that either discriminate in some way against gays or actively persecute them and that they could therefore apply for asylum on that basis. As to how foolproof it is as means of determining sexual orientation, I just don't know, but the main question here I would have thought is, what do genuine gay asylum seekers think about it.....does it infringe their human rights?, is it something they would be embarrassed to undergo? or do they feel that it vindicates their gayness and strengthens their asylum case? People claim asylum under a number of different headings and I see no contradiction in trying to devise tests that can be applied as an aid to determine the veracity of cases in each different category.

    To take a completely different example, if a woman claims that she has been raped, is it not normal proceedure for a doctor to take a vaginal swab. Some may argue that this is similar to being violated and losing ones dignity all over again, but it is necessary from a legal standpoint to gather certain evidence for any case which may be brought.

    From what Gaylord has posted and given the manner in which I imagine such a test would be conducted, I cannot see it being any more humiliating or degrading then a person going for say a full medical examination.

    I would only view it as being objectionable, if the aim of the test was to discriminate against gays and make it more difficult for them to get asylum.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlos marvado View Post
    Interesting report. The test is obviously designed to weed out bogus gay asylum seekers who know that their countries of origin are on a list of countries that either discriminate in some way against gays or actively persecute them and that they could therefore apply for asylum on that basis. As to how foolproof it is as means of determining sexual orientation, I just don't know, but the main question here I would have thought is, what do genuine gay asylum seekers think about it.....does it infringe their human rights?, is it something they would be embarrassed to undergo? or do they feel that it vindicates their gayness and strengthens their asylum case? People claim asylum under a number of different headings and I see no contradiction in trying to devise tests that can be applied as an aid to determine the veracity of cases in each different category.

    To take a completely different example, if a woman claims that she has been raped, is it not normal proceedure for a doctor to take a vaginal swab. Some may argue that this is similar to being violated and losing ones dignity all over again, but it is necessary from a legal standpoint to gather certain evidence for any case which may be brought.

    From what Gaylord has posted and given the manner in which I imagine such a test would be conducted, I cannot see it being any more humiliating or degrading then a person going for say a full medical examination.

    I would only view it as being objectionable, if the aim of the test was to discriminate against gays and make it more difficult for them to get asylum.
    Thanks for that Carlos. So, should we be using lie detectors in the general scrutinisation of asylum applicants?

    GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    Lie detectors , No.
    They are the most unreliable equipment ever in use.
    Anyone can get over a lie detector by staying calm or permenantly on edge and get false readings
    What you want is fMRI mapping of the brain to show that the brain is pychicaly lying
    or to show the arousal in teh brain as its happening
    Last edited by Doozer; 24-12-10 at 15:03.
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •