Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are they In the wrong business?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by northernwaster View Post
    I hope the tossers responsibe are proud of themselves, I really do. Why go out of your way to force your lifestyle down the throats of people who obviously don't want it. The elderly owners don't stand in gay clubs preaching the gospel do they? We are ALL allowed our OWN beliefs not just the crusaders

I'm struggling at how to put what I'm feeling into words about these gay "heros." Actions like this only harm relations between the different factions of socity. Time for them to stop the crusade and get on with their lives in peace - what we all want!
    There is nothing in the article to suggest that any third party was involved.

Where are you getting your information from?
    The Gods are just, and of our pleasant vices
    Make instruments to plague us

Quote Originally Posted by scotus View Post
    There is nothing in the article to suggest that any third party was involved.

Where are you getting your information from?
    What are you on about 3rd partys? There is the elderly couple that own operate and LIVE in a hotel the way they want, and these 'heros' come to try and right a non-existant wrong - thats 2 partys!

Reviews

Looks like you didn't read the article.

Two guys try to book a room and are refused - where are you getting the 'hero' angle from?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    They lost their case, anyway. It was in the news a wee while back.

BBC News - Christian hoteliers appeal against ban on gay couple

But it seems that the Gay Gestapo aren't all that innocent. Turns out they got wind of this couple's policy, then set them up by having these two men make a booking where they deliberately did not indicate their sexual orientation. Then when the two gay men are turned away - hey presto, you're sued! Cue fake moral outrage from the Gestapo and the rest of the establishment falling over themselves to be seen as PC.

Surely the Gay Gestapo have better things to do than bullying an elderly couple like this.
    Agree Mousey. That is quite weak imo.

The Gay couple were/are members of stonewall, however that is like being signed up to Greenpeace or friends of the earth...

It doesn't mean that they knew that the organisation (Stonewall) had contacted the hotel prior to their arrival.

GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    Agree Mousey. That is quite weak imo.
    I have to ask the question once again - where are you getting the information that they were bullied?

Could asking, presumably politely, for a room constitute bullying?

Could highlighting discrimination constitute bullying?

I think that is a leap too far to accuse anyone of bullying, given the information presented in the article, but please feel free to share if you have additional information
    Last edited by scotus; 08-02-11 at 09:24.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by scotus View Post
    I have to ask the question once again - where are you getting the information that they were bullied? Could asking, presumably politely, for a room constitute bullying? Could highlighting discrimination constitute bullying? I think that is a leap too far to accuse anyone of bullying, given the information presented in the article, but please feel free to share if you have additional information
    Rayden is not quoting information, he's agreeing with my personal opinion in my earlier post that this couple was being bullied by the Gay Gestapo.

Your statement in this post is mostly correct - highlighting discrimination is generally not bullying.

Reviews

Rayden is not quoting information, he's agreeing with my personal opinion in my earlier post that this couple was being bullied by the Gay Gestapo.

Your statement in this post is mostly correct - highlighting discrimination is generally not bullying.
    So - on what information do you base your opinion that the couple were being bullied?

Why do you claim there was 'fake moral outrage'? I would have thought pointing out discrimination was something to be lauded, not sneered at.

Which parts of my post do you not consider correct?

Reviews

If he is agreeing, then he should be able to defend his position, no?

not exactly the same thing but.. a number of years ago I was with the mot & her (female) friend in a poplar west of IRL town over a bank holiday w/e. Almost all the B&Bs were sold out so we booked a room through the tourist office.. when the three of us showed up, the auld battleaxe who ran the place obviously didn't like that a) the couple weren't married & b) we had a ladyfriend in tow who was to share the room with us.. so she make all sorts of 1950s type comments to try to make us feel uncomfortable ( that worked- not! we were just glad to have a room for the night) .. so that evening the three of us put on a big sound display in the room with bedsprings, fake moaning etc. But interestingly enough at breakfast ( ie just prior to getting her MONEY) the old bat was nice as pie;
    She'd have been well within her rights to turn us away ..but most times cash talks louder than principles
    Last edited by Franken996; 08-02-11 at 17:32.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast