Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: World Famine

Reviews

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by herodotus View Post
    I am not sure why this topic should not be raised on an inernet discussion board...

And, somewhere in the world there has always been a famine for one reason or another.

Many of the major wars fought over the years have been fought for econmic/ trade reasons. From teh Trojan war which resulted from a lack of Grain in Greece to the invasion of Iraq which was fought over Oil.

How much money does the west make from the sale of weapons to countries in the thrid world? A lot is the answer. And where to they get the money? They get it from average people struggling to survive.

You only have to look at the budget here. The goverment gives 40 mil to bankers while taking money away from carers. This is relevant to the current discussion because I woudl content that there is more enough food in the world to feed all teh people in the world. It is the manner in which the resources are divided that is the problem. Just as out government chose bankjers over carers. The wider world allows the continued transfer of wealth form the thrid world to the first world and one mresult of this transfer of wealth is continued famines around the world.

But you do not need to go too far to see people starving. Just look at the two kids rooting through bins this morning. You could argue that this means that there is not enought food in Ireland but of course that is not the case. It is the way the resources are divided. On the micro level it manifests itself in parents spending money on drink, drugs or debt repayment instead of food for ther children.

Thanks for straring the discussion Ber. It is always good to have issues like this raised.
    I again agree totally with u but what the people with the plenty dont realise is that the malaise is spreading and the places
    where it was thought unimaginable there would be a food shortage (ie the first world) may be much nearer it than they think.

They stole Trevillions corn
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    They stole Trevillions corn

So the young might see the morn,
    Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay

Cmon chorus now

Quote Originally Posted by herodotus View Post
    I am not sure why this topic should not be raised on an inernet discussion board...
    The Internet can be a great medium for discussing important topics like this one, but just look again at the first half a dozen reponses on this thread. Serious disussions are invariably ruined by trolls and wind-up merchants.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Shaft For This Useful Post:

An don (10-12-10), ber (10-12-10)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
    The Internet can be a great medium for discussing important topics like this one, but just look again at the first half a dozen reponses on this thread. Serious disussions are invariably ruined by trolls and wind-up merchants.
    Well its nice to see someone of a like mind
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

Great article in the Sunday Times magazine a few months ago about metals in general....so vital yet all finite resources and many close to running out...maybe if i googled i'd fine it but too...tired..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fiatpunter For This Useful Post:

ber (10-12-10)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Well its nice to see someone of a like mind
    A rarity here id say .

Cmon Ber chilly out .
    Where is that dry wit , i know you to possess gone lol
    Last edited by An don; 10-12-10 at 01:07.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by An don View Post
    A rarity here id say .

Cmon Ber chilly out .
    Where is that dry wit , i know you to possess gone lol
    Well u see wit needs a a fast mind and a certain level of intelligence
    Dont ever make the mistake of confusing the vast majority of the
    stuff that goes on here with wit it is only juvenile humour of the
    lowest form, stuff u might or might not find funny when one was
    six or seven, genuine wit would just go right over heads here.
    So dont fear about my wit or the lack of it because it only
    appears when sufficently stimulated by intelligent beings
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiatpunter View Post
    Great article in the Sunday Times magazine a few months ago about metals in general....so vital yet all finite resources and many close to running out...maybe if i googled i'd fine it but too...tired..

JP Morgan revealed as mystery trader that bought £1bn-worth of copper on LME

The American investment bank JP Morgan is the mystery trader that grabbed more than half the copper on the London Metal Exchange, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

The trade was described in the LME's daily update as 'between 50pc and 80pc' of the 350,000 tonnes of copper in reserves

Well, one big bank is preparing for the future

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anitasizzle View Post
    JP Morgan revealed as mystery trader that bought £1bn-worth of copper on LME

The American investment bank JP Morgan is the mystery trader that grabbed more than half the copper on the London Metal Exchange, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

The trade was described in the LME's daily update as 'between 50pc and 80pc' of the 350,000 tonnes of copper in reserves

Well, one big bank is preparing for the future
    Well shouldnt there be safe guards in place not to allow such a monolopy position to be attained
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast