Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smokers and their Health Costs

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post
    If I'm honest I was probably looking for a less polite reaction. Although on a serious note if we were as a nation encouraged to exercise and look after ourselves better would that be such a bad thing
    Would be a very good idea onlyme we can but hope lol ,;doc;
    Never mistake kindness for weakness .: doc

This is not the forum for this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dublin laddie View Post
    This is not the forum for this thread
    Ah now Texas. Don't be throwing your toys out of the pram. I enjoy your campaigns.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    You often hear of doctors complaining of treating smokers who have, after all, caused damage to their own health through their habit. Should smokers have to pay extra in PRSI or health insurance to cover the costs of their own health problems?

Nah they shoudnt. Shop retailers make a tiny margin on selling fags so in essence the massive amount of tax on cigarettes already covers the costs you're talking about.
    Fact is you see all these anti-smoking campaigns on tv and magazines but if everybody in the country stopped smoking forever tomorrow and cut off the the huge influx of cigarette tax we'd be even more fucked than we are now.

Now someone's going to say "In that case people would be healthier and less money would be spent on smoking related illness" - This is only partially true. The money generated by cigarettes dwarfs the money spent on "smoking related illnesses" each year and very often cigarettes will only be one of several contributors to a persons health deterioration and its impossible to say to what extent, but because they smoke it is simplified and branded a smoking related illness.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefHandker View Post
    Nah they shoudnt. Shop retailers make a tiny margin on selling fags so in essence the massive amount of tax on cigarettes already covers the costs you're talking about.
    Fact is you see all these anti-smoking campaigns on tv and magazines but if everybody in the country stopped smoking forever tomorrow and cut off the the huge influx of cigarette tax we'd be even more fucked than we are now.

Now someone's going to say "In that case people would be healthier and less money would be spent on smoking related illness" - This is only partially true. The money generated by cigarettes dwarfs the money spent on "smoking related illnesses" each year and very often cigarettes will only be one of several contributors to a persons health deterioration and its impossible to say to what extent, but because they smoke it is simplified and branded a smoking related illness.
    do you smoke many in the day?

Reviews

Ha nah not really it's too feckin expensive so maybe 10 a day or so.
    I've had this discussion countless times before with mates, I just wish i could remember the exact figures.

Live and let live I say

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12