Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Greens call for a general election

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    Democracy. Does. Not. Work.

Nobody should be entitled to vote just because they're 18. You should have to pass some sort of test to gain that privilege.
    Oh noes - can o' worms opened.

Reviews

Yes, I should propose an alternative before someone attacks me.

My alternative is Mousey's Benevolent Dictatorship. Under this progressive mode of government, everything continues as before, except that I have on-demand sexual rights to all adult females (including your mum, should I so desire it), and you have to get out of my way if you see me coming.

Sieg heil die Maus!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Or worse Sinn Fein
    Whats wrong with that? Ppl really have to let all of this IRA stuff go. Both FF and FG were made on violence and at least Sinn Fein have a 100% clean slate in gov. OK they have never being in gov but still though.

My main grudge with SF is they have the North as a priority and secondly with Adams himself in the fact that he is too fixed in his approach to other parties.

Sincerely,
    Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 22-11-10 at 22:57.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Whats wrong with that? Ppl really have to let all of this IRA stuff go. Both FF and FG were made on violence and at least Sinn Fein have a 100% clean slate in gov. OK they have never being in gov but still though.

My main grudge with SF is they have the North as a priority and secondly with Adams himself in the fact that he is too fixed in his approach to other parties.

Sincerely,
    Westside.
    My main grudge with SF is that they would be exactly like all the others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    My main grudge with SF is that they would be exactly like all the others.
    Possibly. Who knows but better to give someone with a clean slate a chance than proven liars and corrupt ones. Remember SF wouldnt be in gov on their own and i think if Lab, FG and SF formed a gov then the differing views and opposing views would balance things out. It wouldnt be all agreement as it was with FF and the Greens.

sometimes opposition is a good thing,
    Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 22-11-10 at 23:06.

Reviews

Possibly. Who knows but better to give someone with a clean slate a chance than proven liars and corrupt ones. Remember SF wouldnt be in gov on their own and i think if Lab, FG and SF formed a gov then the differing views and opposing views would balance things out. It wouldnt be all agreement as it was with FF and the Greens.

sometimes opposition is a good thing,
    Westside.
    I think if FG, Labor and SF formed a govt, SF would be the smallest party in it and quite ineffective. Now if they got a larger share of teh vote, who knows...

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    Democracy. Does. Not. Work.

Nobody should be entitled to vote just because they're 18. You should have to pass some sort of test to gain that privilege.
    I'm with you Mousey. How about a return to the days of the 40 shilling freeholders. In fact in the British House of Commons in bye gone days, MPs did'nt even receive a salary. Back then it was assumed that MPs would all be gentlemen of private means who would not require remuneration for representing their constituents or for legislating for the realm. So if we have to have cutbacks, instead of abolishing the Senate and reducing the numbers in the Dail, just abolish salaries for public representatives and let's get people of means who are dedicated to the nation's welfare at the helm.
    Last edited by carlos marvado; 23-11-10 at 00:44.

Reviews

Whats wrong with that?
    Sincerely,
    Westside.
    One simple reason , corporation tax . If they ever got in they will raise it to fuck . So i would never vote for the shinners and that has nothing to do with IRA ,its on their policies which as a business man ,they dont appeal to me .

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    I think if FG, Labor and SF formed a govt, SF would be the smallest party in it and quite ineffective. Now if they got a larger share of teh vote, who knows...
    People think that there is a fg/labour pact in place to form next gov, i wouldnt be so certain of that . The indies will have a big part to play in a new government.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by An don View Post
    One simple reason , corporation tax . If they ever got in they will raise it to fuck . So i would never vote for the shinners and that has nothing to do with IRA ,its on their policies which as a business man ,they dont appeal to me .
    I wouldn't vote for SF, but not for that reason. Raising corporate taxes would be the best thing we could do right now. I know we've been beaten over the head for a decade with the claim that we need low corporate tax rates to survive, but it's all a lie. Our low tax rate on corporations is a large part of why we are currently f**ked. I'm not saying raising the tax rate would boost growth; I'm just saying the alternatives are worse. For anyone who's forgotten, here are the alternatives:
    - Raise personal taxes, which are already higher here than elsewhere, and kill consumer demand.
    - Even more drastic cuts in public spending than already planned. Because of the fiscal multiplier effect, this would sink most of the economy.
    - Default. This one is looking better every day, but it is still a very dangerous strategy. It would mean no one anywhere in the world would trust us for a generation.
    - Raise corporate taxes. This would also reduce growth, but not by as much as people claim. And the threat of an exodus is overstated. Irish corporations are largely stuck here, independent of the rate. There are really two kinds of foreign corporation in Ireland: the ones who really do business here, and the ones who don't. The ones who do business here aren't going anywhere for a while. The ones who don't do business here aren't really paying taxes anyway. Do you know what google really pays? 2.4%.
    Last edited by El Gordo; 23-11-10 at 09:22.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast