Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Are they ready?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default Are they ready?

    The Brazilian army is holding two soldiers in connection with the shooting of a young gay man following Rio de Janeiro's annual Pride parade.

    The army released a statement saying one of the suspects admitted to shooting 19-year-old student Douglas Igor Marques Luiz.

    The two sergeants were arrested yesterday and will be questioned by police. Initially army officials denied any involvement.

    Luiz was shot once in the stomach before being treated and released by local hospitals.

    Gay rights advocates fighting discrimination against Brazil's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual community called the shooting an example of lingering homophobic attitudes that mar the city's reputation for tolerance.

    Is Brazil ready to host the world cup and more importantly the Olympics ?

    GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    5,879
    Reviews
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaylord View Post
    The Brazilian army is holding two soldiers in connection with the shooting of a young gay man following Rio de Janeiro's annual Pride parade.

    The army released a statement saying one of the suspects admitted to shooting 19-year-old student Douglas Igor Marques Luiz.

    The two sergeants were arrested yesterday and will be questioned by police. Initially army officials denied any involvement.

    Luiz was shot once in the stomach before being treated and released by local hospitals.

    Gay rights advocates fighting discrimination against Brazil's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual community called the shooting an example of lingering homophobic attitudes that mar the city's reputation for tolerance.

    Is Brazil ready to host the world cup and more importantly the Olympics ?

    GL
    Well China hosted the 2008 Olympic Games and their human rights record isnt anything to crow about.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indoors with Emmasweet
    Posts
    36,636
    Blog Entries
    15
    Reviews
    61

    Default

    was'nt lois hamilton lucky to escape a recent kidnapping when he was there for a formula 1 race just recently,
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do .: doc

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    5,879
    Reviews
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr love View Post
    was'nt lois hamilton lucky to escape a recent kidnapping when he was there for a formula 1 race just recently,
    Jenson Button, iirc. But yeah Brazil can be quite bad.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indoors with Emmasweet
    Posts
    36,636
    Blog Entries
    15
    Reviews
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    Jenson Button, iirc. But yeah Brazil can be quite bad.
    as you see i'am not a big f1 fan .;doc;
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do .: doc

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
    Well China hosted the 2008 Olympic Games and their human rights record isnt anything to crow about.
    Very true, however I am talking about the personal safety of those participating and the spectators...?


    GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    People thought the same thing with South Africa hosting the World Cup and there were no major incidents involved, so I dont see Brazil having a problem.
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    People thought the same thing with South Africa hosting the World Cup and there were no major incidents involved, so I dont see Brazil having a problem.
    True...


    GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    So that would suggest that the isolated incident of teh man being shot during teh pride parade would have no real baring on the World Cup also adding that with such an event security will be upgraded for the saftey of all involved
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    So that would suggest that the isolated incident of teh man being shot during teh pride parade would have no real baring on the World Cup also adding that with such an event security will be upgraded for the saftey of all involved
    As it was during the F1...


    GL
    "Keep it real with me, and I'll keep it real with you"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •