Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C'mon people! Take the new 15 question Rock Quiz!

good quiz samlad,yeah the saul question was probably the trickiest alright ..how about an IQ test next?
    Last edited by Apollo1; 09-11-10 at 23:31.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo1 For This Useful Post:

samlad (10-11-10)

Blog Entries

Where is the quiz?

Just click on the quizzes button next to whats new? above and that will bring you to the quiz page
    Last edited by Apollo1; 10-11-10 at 00:51.

Seeing that this is a rock quiz thread heres a class tune by the von bondies to be playing in the background when taking the quiz that is if you want to...

Think am not that good only scored 60%

Blog Entries

Not bad for a black girl who was discouraged from listening to Rock N Roll from her Grandparents-93% didn't answer the 'Celebrity band' question

100% ........ yessssss!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigMark View Post
    Think am not that good only scored 60%
    Thats a great score mark. I got 73% and really proud. On reflection these scores tell us two things,

(1) that we are too young to remember half that stuff

and

(2) our taste of rock is actually quite good.

Mark, i for one am proud of you,
    Westside.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Thats a great score mark. I got 73% and really proud. On reflection these scores tell us two things,

(1) that we are too young to remember half that stuff

and

(2) our taste of rock is actually quite good.

Mark, i for one am proud of you,
    Westside.
    I'm not that old, Westie, but I do love rock and The Beatles (pop band turned rock as they progressed). Although The Beatles aren't officially regarded as a rock band, they were influenced by rock and roll roots and inspired by Greats such as Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Bill Justis and such like. At one point before Brian Epstein took over as manager, they had the leather jackets, slicked backed hair, teddy boy image and the band was called Long John and the Silver Beetles. The spelling of 'Beatles' was clever as it merged 'beat' as in music and 'Mersey Beat' with the insect, the 'beetle'.

The Beatles certainally revolutionised rock music in so many ways; to name an example, the feedback of a guitar was first incorporated in the song 'I Feel Fine' when John Lennon leant his guitar against his amplifier, accidently catching the A string which created the sound of the note echoing back on itself. He adapted this into this song. George Harrison learned to play the sitar in Rishikesh, India on his spiritual crusade and was first incorporated in the song 'Norweigen Wood' which can be heard in various rock tracks to date. The use of the distorted guitar sound was also promoted by George Harrison (and Jimi Hendrix) in such tracks as 'Revolution' through the use of a fuzz pedal, although initially this sound was created by poking holes into the amplifier which wouldn't have been a good idea long term.

Of course, the 'Sgt. Pepper' album was a completely new and revolutionary step in music completely. The Beatles (rumoured to have been influenced by drugs ) took music to a different dimension.

The reason I am harping on about this is because people often wonder what all the fuss is about with The Beatles, and I wish to just make the point that 'rock' music can be defined on so many levels. Yes, I'm not old enough to have seen the great rock legends of the sixties and seventies, but my love for rock (like many other rock fans) has intrigued me into looking at the origins of this wonderful genre of music, and tracing the 'rock family tree' is very intriguing!
    Last edited by samlad; 10-11-10 at 13:11.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

scotus (10-11-10)

The Beatles can definitely rock...just check out Helter Skelter...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo1 For This Useful Post:

samlad (10-11-10)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast