Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cure for Cancer ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    There are three main reasons you hear about more cases now.
    - Environmental causes That's what you were mostly talking about. That certainly plays a role. Especially for some types of cancer.
    - Social stigma There was a time when cancer was considered shameful. I know that makes absolutely no sense, but that's the way it was. So people didn't really talk much about it, and would often claim that relatives were suffering or had died from something else.
    - Progress on other diseases We're all going to die of something sooner or later. So any reduction in one cause of death must be matched by a rise in some other cause of death. It's still progress, of course, if you're now dying at 60 from a cancer rather than at 20 from TB, but it won't feel that way.
    Maybe so but its defo on the rise all the time. Even with the larger populations ,there is far more cancer around today than ever.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    My mother was as calm as calm could be, didnt smoke, didnt drink and was a very good looking healthy woman but died very young of cancer so from what i can think its the increasingly chemical age that we are living in and the fucked up air quality that "could" be causing it. I cant think of anything else that hasnt being there in as much quantity as now.
    Westside.
    Sorry to hear about your mom, Westie, even if it was very long ago, the pain will never go away 100%.

Well, as far as I know, cancer is rarely caused by one single factor. If you smoke and get lung cancer, more likely another factor was playing its part too, beside the cancer causing substances in the cigarette. Probably changes in genetics as we get older, or a poor genetical make up, a poor immune system, some particular viruses or bacterial infections or changes in environment. Even if one doesn’t smoke, if any 2 or more causes here are present, then the result is the same …

I don’t think smoking is in increase lately. I don’t think people’s genes have been severely modified as an overall in the last 20 – 30 years, unless they were born in places like Chernobyl. If we don’t give much credit to all the conspiracy theories about evil corporations that play with killer viruses in labs and then spread them free, viruses and bacteria are more or less the same level as before.

So what has been changed? Correct, the day to day changes in environment. Living with asbestos, eating food with lots of E modifiers, inhaling polluting air, which is much more nocive then before since cars are more and more common goods in every household.

Based on that, I don’t believe the true researchers don’t know what exactly causes cancer, when it is obvious to even someone on a low level knowledge like myself.

And yes, eventually they will find the cure for it. Like for all other terrible illnesses from the past. I just wonder what other terrible illness will come next (beside AIDS) …

Blog Entries
    Reviews

You can find a table of cancer survival rates over time, by type of cancer, here: Cancer Survival Rates

As you can see,
    - It matters a lot what type of cancer someone has.
    - Survival rates are improving, whether through earlier detection or better treatments, but they're improving a lot slower than we would like.

EDIT: Before anyone freaks out, the most recent data in those tables is 20 years old. There has been progress since then.
    Last edited by El Gordo; 06-11-10 at 21:34.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to El Gordo For This Useful Post:

Sensual Delights (06-11-10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual Delights View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mom, Westie, even if it was very long ago, the pain will never go away 100%.

Well, as far as I know, cancer is rarely caused by one single factor. If you smoke and get lung cancer, more likely another factor was playing its part too, beside the cancer causing substances in the cigarette. Probably changes in genetics as we get older, or a poor genetical make up, a poor immune system, some particular viruses or bacterial infections or changes in environment. Even if one doesn’t smoke, if any 2 or more causes here are present, then the result is the same …

I don’t think smoking is in increase lately. I don’t think people’s genes have been severely modified as an overall in the last 20 – 30 years, unless they were born in places like Chernobyl. If we don’t give much credit to all the conspiracy theories about evil corporations that play with killer viruses in labs and then spread them free, viruses and bacteria are more or less the same level as before.

So what has been changed? Correct, the day to day changes in environment. Living with asbestos, eating food with lots of E modifiers, inhaling polluting air, which is much more nocive then before since cars are more and more common goods in every household.

Based on that, I don’t believe the true researchers don’t know what exactly causes cancer, when it is obvious to even someone on a low level knowledge like myself.

And yes, eventually they will find the cure for it. Like for all other terrible illnesses from the past. I just wonder what other terrible illness will come next (beside AIDS) …
    I lost both parents to it but shit happens. Thats my attitude to it and like i said to a relative and it scared the shit out of them but is true, you have to be able to take these things in life as we are all going to be faced with something someday whether we like it or not. On a happier note i do know a few ppl who survived and also one who just wrote a book although i have never met him, i was in touch with him. I also have a cousin who survived and is doing good. I would like to see a cure for cancer in my lifetime. It would be great to see that ppl no longer have to go through the hardship of dealing with cancer.

Westside.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Westsidex For This Useful Post:

Notatwork (06-11-10)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    I lost both parents to it but shit happens. Thats my attitude to it and like i said to a relative and it scared the shit out of them but is true, you have to be able to take these things in life as we are all going to be faced with something someday whether we like it or not. On a happier note i do know a few ppl who survived and also one who just wrote a book although i have never met him, i was in touch with him. I also have a cousin who survived and is doing good. I would like to see a cure for cancer in my lifetime. It would be great to see that ppl no longer have to go through the hardship of dealing with cancer.

Westside.
    Having lost both your parents to Cancer and some relatives,does that worry you that you may get it?I have heard many people talk about "Cancer is in the family"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Notatwork View Post
    Having lost both your parents to Cancer and some relatives,does that worry you that you may get it?I have heard many people talk about "Cancer is in the family"
    Not really. This is like saying i am worried about going to die. Its pretty pointless. All i can say if its in the cards then its in the cards, if it isnt then it isnt but i sure as hell dont give a fuck either way as it a pretty pointless way to live.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Notatwork View Post
    By the way, death doesnt scare me, cancer doesnt scare me, the only thing that scares the shit out of me is being on my deathbed ,looking back on my life and saying "fuck that sucks". Now that scares me which is why i live my life doing what i want to do and f with what others think about it.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 07-11-10 at 13:28.

I think its due to bad genes being present in our dna that lead to certain types of cancers but there very complex in nature so i guess it makes it difficult to find a cure

Most cancers are caused by over consumption of seafood
    cut back on the seafood is the answer !!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo1 View Post
    I think its due to bad genes being present in our dna that lead to certain types of cancers but there very complex in nature so i guess it makes it difficult to find a cure
    whats a bad gene? My mother was very good looking, was very fit ,very active , she was calm and rarely if ever got sick, had a very positive outlook on life ,didnt drink or smoke and wasnt the slightest bit bitter or nasty. She literally had everything going for her. I say this without the slightest bit of exageration.

I asked a cancer doctor about this incidently one time and he said one word - Food. He was most of the probs that ppl have ,cancers included are caused by food.

Hard to believe or figure out even,
    Westside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast