Thread: I got a new job recently............

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
    Hi folks. So yeah i got a new job about 5 weeks ago, haven't been on in ages as a result, it is in a shop/small supermarket. I'd just like to get your advice and opinions on a few things.

Firstly, if what i know is right, the current minimum wage is €8.65 per hour, although i, and the other staff, only get paid €8.40 an hour. Is this against the law or is it not?

But could people please tell me if it is against the law to pay staff minimum wage or not, and if so how is she able to get away with it? I was unemplyed for a long time so i don't want to start any trouble as any job is a job for me right now.
    Also if there is any legal requirement of paying staff more money for working on sundays and/or bank holidays (i work mostly in the stockroom and packing shelves on the shop floor).

Cheers everyone.

You should get in touch with NERA. They will make sure your employer is compliant with all aspects of your employee rights, including rates of pay, holidays, bank holidays and overtime. www.employmentrights.ie

Btw, how's the commute working out?
    Last edited by Forrest; 22-10-10 at 22:59.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Reviews

Employers market, If you don't like it leave is the answer you'll get.

Reviews

Thanks for the replies lads.

A Lithuanian lady who started working there about 3 weeks ago left in Saturday, because she was getting paid under the wage, she said to the boss that that was against the law to pay under the legal requirement of pay to workers, the boss said "Well you have the job, if you leave its your own choice, i have plenty of other staff who i can call now and they would jump at the chance to start in the morning"

Blog Entries

A Lithuanian lady who started working there about 3 weeks ago left in Saturday, because she was getting paid under the wage, she said to the boss that that was against the law to pay under the legal requirement of pay to workers, the boss said "Well you have the job, if you leave its your own choice, i have plenty of other staff who i can call now and they would jump at the chance to start in the morning"
    He would be walloped at an Employment Tribunal for that.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 24-10-10 at 14:37.

Reviews

This is the problem at the moment. So many people unemployed the employer thinks they can treat people the way they want. Recently in my job i heard one of the managers saying to an employee if i had my way id get rid of the lot of you. Arrogant little shit. What they can pay and the way they speak to employees these days are disgraceful. I also find the union well the one im in anyway a complete waste of time.
    “Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same”
    Alan Ball

Justice For The 96

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovethegirls View Post
    This is the problem at the moment. So many people unemployed the employer thinks they can treat people the way they want. Recently in my job i heard one of the managers saying to an employee if i had my way id get rid of the lot of you. Arrogant little shit. What they can pay and the way they speak to employees these days are disgraceful. I also find the union well the one im in anyway a complete waste of time.
    Unions are usually full of ppl that are in them out of their own self importance and have very little in the way of standing up for their members.

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Unions are usually full of ppl that are in them out of their own self importance and have very little in the way of standing up for their members.

Westside.
    True. They promise this and that and at the meetings with the company its a complete different story. Ive been there and seen it. A couple of years ago a lad i worked with got sacked and i rang our union rep to come out for the appeal. Yes he said gave him the date and time but failed to show. Gave him a ring and told me he got tied up in other things. The lad lost the appeal and last year that union fella got a promotion. Sums it all up.
    “Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same”
    Alan Ball

Justice For The 96

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post

Westside.
    Unions are usually full of people who are lazy underperformers and hide behind their union card.

Dont get me started on the public service .....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeynut View Post
    Unions are usually full of people who are lazy underperformers and hide behind their union card.

Dont get me started on the public service .....
    The who? Ah sorry ,i missunderstood. My sincerest apologies. You mean The Pubic Service. The protected hard working members of society who are immune to the budget cuts or in other words the law. Ah sure look we can send them back to college this year and sure we can take rail and bus routes off service and the good ole CSO can count them.

horay,
    Westside.

Reviews

Victimisation

If you seek your entitlement to the national minimum wage you are protected from victimisation or dismissal. Victimisation is prohibited by the legislation. In addition if you are dismissed for seeking the national minimum wage, you may bring a claim for unfair dismissal regardless of length of service or number of hours worked per week.
    If you are due an increase under the National Minimum Wage Act your employer cannot reduce your working hours without a corresponding reduction in duties or the amount of work.