Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
Most people aren't even aware there are rules regarding certain breeds of dog with on the spot fines of €30 for breaching them, I blame the Gardai for not enforcing them.

Rules relating to certain breeds of dog

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (S.I. No. 442 of 1998) impose additional rules in relation to the following breeds (and strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:
  • American Pit Bull Terrier
  • English Bull Terrier
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Bull Mastiff
  • Dobermann Pinscher
  • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
  • Rhodesian Ridgeback
  • Rottweiler
  • Japanese Akita
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Bandog
The rules state that:
  • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
  • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
  • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.
Hold on one fuckin second now. All dogs are to be kept within the control of the owner at all times and a dog off a lead in a public place isnt under the control of the owner. Thats the first thing. The second thing is if a dog attacks one of these dogs and its on a lead. If one of the above metnioned dogs is on a lead and a dog attacks it but is off a lead then in a court it balance of responsabilities will come into it. So who isnt neglecting mostly here? The owner of the dangerous breed has his dog on a leash so even if its not muzzled it is still within his control but the other dog isnt under any control and is the one who came over.

This reminds me of that dickhead of a fine gael fool that wanted all oif the above breeds banned from public places in Cork. He was all rules and regulations until some bright spark (hint) brought to his attention the fact that in his beloved homeland ,quite a few of his neighbours dogs roam loosely on the ROADS. What a dickhead and course he shut his mouth then because he will loose seats by interefering with his neighbours. God that guy that shut him up was bright one indeed.

You see what makes me laugh is the way ppl bend the above laws to suit themselves. Its ok for the above to be muzzled and to be leased but its also ok for the other breeds to be off leash. You cant have it both ways. Whats more dangerous? A dog roaming around a public roadside or a dog not muzzled but within the control of its owner at all times? Do ppl think i want to walk me dog around Patrick st or somewhere where a person will come in close contact with him? Er nope.

Another thing 99% of dog owners shouldnt have their dogs in public to begin with because they havnt got a dog license.

Westside.

PS no law can force a person to give their name and address out to the public whether on a dogs collar or otherwise. Thats why cars have reg numbers.