Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by punterminator View Post
    Assuming you meant "wouldn't worry", not "would worry", what's your point West? What does my post count have to do with anything? Should I start documenting my bowel movements on here to bring my post count up to match yours?
    My point is that you post infrequently enough which is your own business , but its infrequent enough to suggest that a rule for off topic threads would be that important to you.

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    My point is that you post infrequently enough which is your own business , but its infrequent enough to suggest that a rule for off topic threads would be that important to you.

Westside.
    That wasn't what I asked though, I was asking where the list of infractions was.
    For what it's worth I agree with you entirely on the off-topic business, impossible to police and will only lead to more feuding.
    Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    this is the key and i think its applicable to most things in life as most things are imperfect. Its an ongoing process. I honestly think that bringing in a rule on off topic threads will be too rigid and destroy topics instead of helping them.

Of course this is for Jackie or Sam and not my decision to make but if it were me ,i would let it as it could backfire a fair bit.

Westside.
    Westside,

I agree with you on "rules". My point is that those people who should know better should exercise judgement on things rather than being self indulgent and having "in joke" based banter....

I dont think that this means being politically correct, just that people use judgement before posting something that is clearly taking a post off topic.

It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to prevent this happening, it is just human nature to have a bit of craic. However, it happens ALL the time and I am just suggesting that WE ALL try to have a bit of regard for each other and for the subject of the thread, without taking the fun out of the site in general...

Does this make any sense?

BLD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigladdub View Post
    Westside,

I agree with you on "rules". My point is that those people who should know better should exercise judgement on things rather than being self indulgent and having "in joke" based banter....

I dont think that this means being politically correct, just that people use judgement before posting something that is clearly taking a post off topic.

It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to prevent this happening, it is just human nature to have a bit of craic. However, it happens ALL the time and I am just suggesting that WE ALL try to have a bit of regard for each other and for the subject of the thread, without taking the fun out of the site in general...

Does this make any sense?

BLD
    Yes it does make sense but ppls views of having regard for the subject of thread may differ. I think this could cause probs and again its where do you draw the line.

Westside.

Reviews

What do people want here? A rule to completely stop threads going off topic? I agree with West. That would be a terrible idea.

Ber started the thread because mods were closing certain threads because they were going off topic and then wouldn't do the same for other threads. He was looking for consistancy. Seemily leaning towards not closing them at all.

So what are people looking for? Bring in a rule to stop it? Get rid of community mods? There haven't been many suggestions on how to deal with it, just stating the obvious and criticism.

Reviews

People want consistency I think. There are plenty of instances in the past of mods using the "going off topic" excuse to close threads they didn't like yet there are 1000's of other threads that go WAY more off topic that rather than closing, the mods are actually the main offenders.

So, either there is a rule or there isn't?
    Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bigladdub View Post
    WE ALL try to have a bit of regard for each other

BLD
    Thats what i said a page back. lol

Reviews

People want consistency I think. There are plenty of instances in the past of mods using the "going off topic" excuse to close threads they didn't like yet there are 1000's of other threads that go WAY more off topic that rather than closing, the mods are actually the main offenders.

Is there a rule for it already?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debest View Post
    What do people want here? A rule to completely stop threads going off topic? I agree with West. That would be a terrible idea.

Ber started the thread because mods were closing certain threads because they were going off topic and then wouldn't do the same for other threads. He was looking for consistancy. Seemily leaning towards not closing them at all.

So what are people looking for? Bring in a rule to stop it? Get rid of community mods? There haven't been many suggestions on how to deal with it, just stating the obvious and criticism.
    I think the word excessive is whats being meant.Threads going excessively off topic, like starting about a bj and ending with the price of donor kebabs. In this case maybe a pm to a forum manager or mod could sort it out without going into a rigid rule for it although im still a but wary of how restrictive this could be.

Remember a thread that starts off becoming a nasty slagging match is gone off topic but its also breaking the rules so will be locked anyway.

I answered jackie about bers comment on a thread i locked but i think ber in the case of this example,is reading way too much into how i put things when i post at times.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 03-08-10 at 21:34.

Blog Entries

This is simply more of an anti mod post rather than a constructive post to give ppl a better idea of dealing with the issue of off topic threads.

Westside.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast