Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    So is this about me or an off topic debate? Incidently when did you last get an eye test?

This is a commuinity ,yes but once a member registers ,as long as they stay within the rules, then they can feel free to use this site as they wish.

The rest of your thread is simply nothing but a personal vendetta against the mods team and interestingly enough for a guy who feels so strongly about this being a commuinity and not a personal playground for a few, this would also apply to the few anti modding posters on here.

The site you mention is miles behind this one so its not the best example to use really.

Once again we have the same theame from the same few who are all against modding period.

Westside.
    You're not paranoid, bitter and twisted at all.

Reviews

So is this about me or an off topic debate? Incidently when did you last get an eye test?

This is a commuinity ,yes but once a member registers ,as long as they stay within the rules, then they can feel free to use this site as they wish.

The rest of your thread is simply nothing but a personal vendetta against the mods team and interestingly enough for a guy who feels so strongly about this being a commuinity and not a personal playground for a few, this would also apply to the few anti modding posters on here.

The site you mention is miles behind this one so its not the best example to use really.

Once again we have the same theame from the same few who are all against modding period.

Westside.
    Westside,

It is not about you at all. I promise you that. If you look at my posts, although not very frequent, I dont think I have ever made a personal attack on anyone. I might make a post which is personal to somebody, but I hope I have not ever been rude to anyone.

I don't know what you mean by a eye test....

My post is not a vendetta against the mod team. It is a series of observations of a member of the site. I dont know if my views are shared by anyone else or not. I do have a right to give an opinion though. That is the purpose and reason of any board.

I have suggested that community mods have not worked on the board. In this instance it was on the basis of threads going off topic as a result of "in jokes" on a post I made about a review of Jessica. The people who took it off topic were being self indulgent. However, that will sometimes happen adn I am not saying that it should never happen, but if you look at how some threads go off topic, it really is done sometimes by frequent posters or mods who should be showing better example....

I am not trying to sound holier than thou, but this, in my view, is where the real problem starts...

BLD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bigladdub For This Useful Post:

jayf1 (04-08-10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debest View Post
    You're not paranoid, bitter and twisted at all.
    No im not.

Cheers,
    Westside.

Reviews

That is just my point Westside. At one point, that site was thriving, vibrant and had a ton of advertisers and posters. For a bunch of reasons, including heavy handedness on the message board (albeit by a staff moderator), it lost most of its posters and I would suggest that that led to a loss of advertisers.

I would not like that to happen here. I do think though that there is a tipping point with online communities and that once a community goes past that point it can be enormously difficult to recover the situation.

I dont think we are anywhere close to that here at the moment, but, it can be a small thing that can turn a situation.

I am sure that Pat is a very smart lady and as such she is probably trying to maintain the status quo and the continued success of the site.

I am doing nothing here other than making some (hopefully) reasoned and reasonable observations at a macro level.

I have no axe to grind against any individual.

BLD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigladdub View Post
    Westside,

It is not about you at all. I promise you that. If you look at my posts, although not very frequent, I dont think I have ever made a personal attack on anyone. I might make a post which is personal to somebody, but I hope I have not ever been rude to anyone.

I don't know what you mean by a eye test....

My post is not a vendetta against the mod team. It is a series of observations of a member of the site. I dont know if my views are shared by anyone else or not. I do have a right to give an opinion though. That is the purpose and reason of any board.

I have suggested that community mods have not worked on the board. In this instance it was on the basis of threads going off topic as a result of "in jokes" on a post I made about a review of Jessica. The people who took it off topic were being self indulgent. However, that will sometimes happen adn I am not saying that it should never happen, but if you look at how some threads go off topic, it really is done sometimes by frequent posters or mods who should be showing better example....

I am not trying to sound holier than thou, but this, in my view, is where the real problem starts...

BLD
    Wel, fair enough but i think lots of ppl have taken threads off topic and not just mods. In fact thats the beauty of this place and one thing i like about it is that the conversation at times just flows its own course.

The problem with things going off topic being monitored is the ability to draw the line.Whats off topic? where does it start and where does the control come into it? Personnally i say let things be because this can easily backfire and cause more probs than its worth ,for everyone and not just mods.

I disagree completely with what you say about the mods team not working. It has worked. Whats being discussed here is actually a very small thing and in no way a reflection of how the site has being run.

The trouble with most things in life and modding included in that you are only as good as your last action. Like im only as good as Saturdays Nights Main event. Whether right or wrong, this is the case.

The eye test remark by the way was me tellign you i am no longer a mod for the time being. I resigned it last Sunday.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by An don View Post
    I wasnt , i was stating that there is an infraction rule for bumping a thread why not have one for taking a thread off topic. And for the record i think the mods are doing a good job . I think the purpose of this thread is to try find a solution to off topic posts.
    But it looks like going off on another tangent all together like most of the general threads here lately
    Because i honestly do think that to bring in a rule for off topic threads will destroy the site. Put everything that has being said and has happened to one side and just think about it? A fixed rule and has to be adhered to for off topic threads. Its a recipe for disaster.

A solution would be if the original poster requested the off topic thread to be brought back on topic and that left to the discretion of the forum managers. This , i think is a much more realistic option than having a fixed rule in place which will make the flow of the conversation too rigid.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 03-08-10 at 20:54.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by punterminator View Post
    There's an infraction rule for bumping? Can someone link me to these rules please?
    No offence but giving the fact that you have 874 posts since Jan 2007 , i would worry too much about rules on the forum.

Westside.

Reviews

Wel, fair enough but i think lots of ppl have taken threads off topic and not just mods. In fact thats the beauty of this place and one thing i like about it is that the conversation at times just flows its own course.

The problem with things going off topic being monitored is the ability to draw the line.Whats off topic? where does it start and where does the control come into it? Personnally i say let things be because this can easily backfire and cause more probs than its worth ,for everyone and not just mods.

I disagree completely with what you say about the mods team not working. It has worked. Whats being discussed here is actually a very small thing and in no way a reflection of how the site has being run.

The trouble with most things in life and modding included in that you are only as good as your last action. Like im only as good as Saturdays Nights Main event. Whether right or wrong, this is the case.

The eye test remark by the way was me tellign you i am no longer a mod for the time being. I resigned it last Sunday.

Westside.

AHA

Right, I get it now. Well. I also remember you saying you had given up posting. I am glad that you changed your mind on that. EVERYONE who has something to add should do just that and I (for what it is worth) am glad that you reconsidered!

In terms of the other part of your post, I am torn between agreeing with you in principle and disagreeing with you because of the fact that mods who still post and contribute to the boards have the power to edit posts, delete and lock threads and other things because they disagree with the content or sentiment.

This opinion of mine is not a criticism of any individual, but hopefully something that can be taken into account with many other opinions to continue to make this place better in the medium term. I am not saying that moderators are bad. I am saying that in my opinion, having volunteer community mods has not worked as well as it might have up to now.....

BLD

Reviews

No offence but giving the fact that you have 874 posts since Jan 2007 , i would worry too much about rules on the forum.

Westside.
    Assuming you meant "wouldn't worry", not "would worry", what's your point West? What does my post count have to do with anything? Should I start documenting my bowel movements on here to bring my post count up to match yours?
    Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigladdub View Post
    AHA

has not worked as well as it might have up to now.....
    this is the key and i think its applicable to most things in life as most things are imperfect. Its an ongoing process. I honestly think that bringing in a rule on off topic threads will be too rigid and destroy topics instead of helping them.

Of course this is for Jackie or Sam and not my decision to make but if it were me ,i would let it as it could backfire a fair bit.

Westside.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast