Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Alana View Post
    Create a new forum called "ON TOPIC GENERAL CHAT" this title is self explanatory really and posters are pre warned in the forum title that any input must be "on topic"
    Anyone posting in general chat continues to run the risk of there thread venturing off topic but hey its OK and expected because the correct place for any serious discussion is "ON TOPIC GENERAL CHAT" simple eh
    One of the original suggestions that fell by the wayside was a tick box for the thread creator to specify whether they wanted their thread to strictly stay on topic and this would be highlighted in the title of the thread and the mods would be aware of this and strictly police it..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

An don (04-08-10)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    One of the original suggestions that fell by the wayside was a tick box for the thread creator to specify whether they wanted their thread to strictly stay on topic and this would be highlighted in the title of the thread and the mods would be aware of this and strictly police it..
    In theory its a good idea but most of the posters here wouldnt see a bus never mind a box with a tick in it
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    In theory its a good idea but most of the posters here wouldnt see a bus never mind a box with a tick in it
    If they can figure out how to create a thread I'm sure they can figure out how to put a tick in a tick box if it's made clear and obvious enough, maybe even have the box compulsary and they can't submit the thread untill they select option a or b..

Quote Originally Posted by bigladdub View Post
    In this instance it was on the basis of threads going off topic as a result of "in jokes" on a post I made about a review of Jessica. The people who took it off topic were being self indulgent. However, that will sometimes happen adn I am not saying that it should never happen, but if you look at how some threads go off topic, it really is done sometimes by frequent posters or mods who should be showing better example....
    I think you need to read that thread again and you will see that my first few posts were keep strictly to the topic at hand and I explained why the situation was as it is as per the rules and at that point I felt the issue was dealt with and could not be explained any further and do not see what harm a bit of banter was after that point.

As to the wider issue, I have said it many times the only solution to this problem for people who do not like threads going off topic is to have a system where a poster states they want it kept on topic and everyone shows the poster some respect by not straying from the original topic and then mods can deal with the few posters that do not follow the OP's wishes.

People seem to thinks mods can do it all but we can't, there is an element of co operation required, some do not like things straying off topic, others do not mind so the best thing would be to state your wish on the title, just the letters SOT would do and away we go and the people who would not honor that request of their fellow posters would be being dis respectful to another poster and all would see that they were ignoring their stated wishes.

I would propose it well worth trying first rather then a blanket modding of off topic posts as why should the people who enjoy a thread wandering off in different directions be not allowed to do so or enjoying reading those threads in which the OP did not request that it stay on topic?
    Last edited by Quarterpoundher; 04-08-10 at 00:59.

Blog Entries

I've suggested this before. As Ber says some people might miss the box. I've also suggested that if people post serious threads on serious topics, they could say that they request or would appreaciate it the thread could be kept on topic. I've done this myself in the past.......

(with mixed results. Myself and Anita had a little falling out over this)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

If they can figure out how to create a thread I'm sure they can figure out how to put a tick in a tick box if it's made clear and obvious enough, maybe even have the box compulsary and they can't submit the thread untill they select option a or b..
    Why complicate things when there is no need too with tick boxes in various forums prior to posting ?
    A forum which says "ON TOPIC GENERAL CHAT" and if you want it kept that way post in that forum.
    Post anywhere else and you quite rightly run the risk of it being "highjacked"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alana For This Useful Post:

jayf1 (04-08-10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alana View Post
    Why complicate things when there is no need too with tick boxes in various forums prior to posting ?
    A forum which says "ON TOPIC GENERAL CHAT" and if you want it kept that way post in that forum.
    Post anywhere else and you quite rightly run the risk of it being "highjacked"
    The problem there is, while some topics may start off on a serious note, or with a serious question, on a certain subject, they may naturally progress to something else and it may not bother people. And threads that are not put in the "ON TOPIC GENERAL CHAT" will never be taken seriously and may immediately be hopped on and taken off topic and "highjacked" for comedy purposes etc. Which pretty much bring you back to having 2 forums, Gen Chat and the soap section.......

Guys this is a really tough one and kind of only works on a thread by thread basis, however, I don't think it's fair on the mods to have to decide what's on topic or not on topic, or what's not on topic but still ok and the thread is just progressing and should be left.........

I think the thread originator should decide at the beginning of the thread...........

Jayses we talk more here about how we should talk about things and who should do what and how they should do it and what should be allowed and what shouldn't, than actually talking and doing............

We're turning into a committee, or worse yet, the bloody government..............
    L

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterpoundher View Post
    I think you need to read that thread again and you will see that my first few posts were keep strictly to the topic at hand and I explained why the situation was as it is as per the rules and at that point I felt the issue was dealt with and could not be explained any further and do not see what harm a bit of banter was after that point.

As to the wider issue, I have said it many times the only solution to this problem for people who do not like threads going off topic is to have a system where a poster states they want it kept on topic and everyone shows the poster some respect by not straying from the original topic and then mods can deal with the few posters that do not follow the OP's wishes.

People seem to thinks mods can do it all but we can't, there is an element of co operation required, some do not like things straying off topic, others do not mind so the best thing would be to state your wish on the title, just the letters SOT would do and away we go and the people who would not honor that request of their fellow posters would be being dis respectful to another poster and all would see that they were ignoring their stated wishes.

I would propose it well worth trying first rather then a blanket modding of off topic posts as why should the people who enjoy a thread wandering off in different directions be not allowed to do so or enjoying reading those threads in which the OP did not request that it stay on topic?
    Qph

Yes, your initial posts were on topic.

Later on, you were bantering with Anon and the nature of that banter took the thread off topic. It happened. I dont believe that either of you meant it. However, you should (in my humble opinion) be careful. i.e. if you do take a thread off topic, bring it back..... you are a smart guy, you already know this!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigladdub View Post
    Qph

Yes, your initial posts were on topic.

Later on, you were bantering with Anon and the nature of that banter took the thread off topic. It happened. I dont believe that either of you meant it. However, you should (in my humble opinion) be careful. i.e. if you do take a thread off topic, bring it back..... you are a smart guy, you already know this!
    In my opinion, I believe the posters on the thread had already addressed the issue and answered the questions so perhaps felt the the case was closed.........

TBH, there are far far better examples of threads being brought off topic that this one. Of course I understand that this was your thread and so you have a vested interest in it, but I think you're picking on the wrong thread to highlight the problem of threads going off topic......

At this stage I think you're just using this thread to highlight your own issue on another thread.........
    Last edited by luther; 04-08-10 at 01:35.
    L

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    I've suggested this before. As Ber says some people might miss the box. I've also suggested that if people post serious threads on serious topics, they could say that they request or would appreaciate it the thread could be kept on topic.

I appreciate what you are saying but why should some one have to request it. If someone posts a serious topic then surely the rest of the posters should have a enough respect for the thread starter and realise it should be kept on the original topic. I think it still boils down to matter of respect for your fellow poster. If its a serious topic it doesnt need a picture of a cat or dog on it . Because it like dominos you get one jokey pic then theres a spate of them and the original point gets lost. As i stated earlier on this thread somewhere near the start (lol) that this had to policed by the people replying to the thread with maybe a little nudge to repeat offenders from a mod/manager. I hope i dont come across a killjoy but i think there is a lot of very good and interesting threads which have gotten sidetracked lately.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast