Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Higgins dies.....

Quote Originally Posted by aml View Post
    For many they will be remembered as sportsmen,heroes.....most ppl never want to see the individuals they were outside their profesions.
    but who among us wants others to see who we really are?..and we are not famous and deffo are without talent like he had

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    George Best played at the top level at United for 10 years. He was the first 'celebrity' footballer, when everyone wanted to be his friend, not mention the 'hangers-on'. A lot of those friends disappeared when things spiralled out of control.
    Alex Higgins won his first World Championship in 1972 and his 2nd in 1982, so he was in his 'sport' at the top level for 10 years. He was the brash, belligerent one that changed the image of snooker. His 'friends' behaved the same as Best's.
    Maradona singlehandledly won the World Cup for Argentina in 1986, and Napoli won the Scudetto in Italy because of him. How many times did he have to play with painkilling injections and other drugs to keep him going?
    They all had a bad streak because of addictions, which it is difficult for anyone else to really understand until you go through it yourself.
    Let's not forget the heroic deeds they all performed. I accept that they all did bad things in their personal lives but they were not in control of themselves because of their addictions.
    How many times did Best in those ten years take to the field of play in less than tip top condition(hangover) so he couldnt
    give the performances he could have. Just because he was still better than those around him dosent mean that he was as good
    as he could have been
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    How many times did Best in those ten years take to the field of play in less than tip top condition(hangover) so he couldnt
    give the performances he could have. Just because he was still better than those around him dosent mean that he was as good
    as he could have been
    but it means he was better than the rest...talent

He will be the next, unfortunately. I am boycotting any 'gazza' stories in the press, its all a little too bedlam for my taste.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I suppose the real issue i have is that these people have are given a free pass for bad behaviour,which in turn leads to it
    being acceptable and that just begins a vicious circle of people seeing them as role models and on and on it goes.
    Believe me i have personally seen enough in relation to alcholism and it aint Glamorous, but u still cant take from the fact
    that certain choices are made along the way before it reaches a critical stage
    Best & Higgins both served time for their bad behaviour and they both died from the addiction that was a root cause of their bad behaviour. I don't see that as a free pass.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Reviews

as he could have been
    Personally i think he was one of the finest players of his generation,he could have been ahead of pele or maradonna if he kept on the straight and narrow...but he effectivly threw his career down the toilet when he left utd and played for nothing clubs...it went downhill once he got to the US.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Best & Higgins both served time for their bad behaviour and they both died from the addiction that was a root cause of their bad behaviour. I don't see that as a free pass.

It wasn't. It isn't. I hope they rest in peace.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Blog Entries
    Reviews

as he could have been
    It was only the year after they won the European Cup that he started to misbehave. The breakup of that team and Busby retiring heaped a lot more pressure on Best. He was still a lot better than most of the players around him. He also played with injuries & pain killers because there were a lot more 'hard-men' back then to kick him around the pitch. He just got up and carried on, no prima donna rolling around the pitch like some of the current 'overpaid' drama queens.
    Last edited by Forrest; 25-07-10 at 00:40.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    but who among us wants others to see who we really are?..and we are not famous and deffo are without talent like he had
    Ah Benny you are famous, and you have talent. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady

Quote Originally Posted by aml View Post
    Personally i think he was one of the finest players of his generation,he could have been ahead of pele or maradonna if he kept on the straight and narrow...but he effectivly threw his career down the toilet when he left utd and played for nothing clubs...it went downhill once he got to the US.
    apart from the best goal he ever scored...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to benin For This Useful Post:

Forrest (25-07-10)

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast