Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Alex Higgins dies.....

RIP Alex ....

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    You cant compare Best with Higgins. Best realised his full potential as a soccer player but Higgins didnt come close to his as a snooker player. Higgins actually failed miserably as a snooker player because i think only one other player had more natural snooker ability and thats White. Higgins had the ability to win the championship multiple times like Davis, Hendry etc but never did because he never cam e close to playing as well as he could. He wasnt even consistent between frames in the same game let alone over a season.

Westside.

Where in my post did I compare Best with Higgins? I was responding to claims in previous posts about Best, Higgins and Maradona wasting their talent and not being at the top of their sport over a long period. My reply was about each as individuals, not a comparison. The only similarities between Best & Higgins was that they died prematurely as a result of their illness and addiction.
    I don't agree that Higgins failed miserably as a snooker player, he was World Champion twice, 10 years apart. Maybe he should have won more, but anyone that becomes a World Champion, in any sport, cannot be considered a failure.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:

benin (25-07-10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Where in my post did I compare Best with Higgins? I was responding to claims in previous posts about Best, Higgins and Maradona wasting their talent and not being at the top of their sport over a long period. My reply was about each as individuals, not a comparison. The only similarities between Best & Higgins was that they died prematurely as a result of their illness and addiction.
    I don't agree that Higgins failed miserably as a snooker player, he was World Champion twice, 10 years apart. Maybe he should have won more, but anyone that becomes a World Champion, in any sport, cannot be considered a failure.
    I was speaking generally.

As far as Higgins failing as a snooker player ,i say that keeping the ammount of natural snooker talent he had. the man if he got his act together and stop acting the idiot ,could hold the record for ammount of world championships won. So he wasnt a failure as a snooker player per se but when taking his potential into consideration ,he was a disaster.

Sincerely,
    Westside.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Westsidex For This Useful Post:

benin (25-07-10)

As far as Higgins failing as a snooker player ,i say that keeping the ammount of natural snooker talent he had. the man if he got his act together and stop acting the idiot ,could hold the record for ammount of world championships won. So he wasnt a failure as a snooker player per se but when taking his potential into consideration ,he was a disaster.

Sincerely,
    Westside.
    thats a way better way to phrase it westie...yes he did underachieve...but my god did he entertain

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Sincerely,
    Westside.
    I always preferred to watch Alex Higgins and Jimmy White (2 World Championships between them) play snooker than Steve Davis or Stephen Hendry(two multiple World Champions)
    It's great to win things but some prefer to win by entertaining rather than grinding out results.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

I always preferred to watch Alex Higgins and Jimmy White (2 World Championships between them) play snooker than Steve Davis or Stephen Hendry(two multiple World Champions)
    It's great to win things but some prefer to win by entertaining rather than grinding out results.
    dont forget cliff thorburn ..nobody entertained like good old cliff..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blog Entries

More than likely because to be a multiple world champ you have to play slower and use more safety than the way Higgins or White played. This makes it more boring. Higgins and White gave way too much away by not taking it slower espeicially Higgins.

Westside.

Reviews

Higgins? No doubt about about it, the best player in the world when on form..
    Outside of that, an alcoholic, wife beater and told Dennis Taylor that he would get him shot while playing a match in the midst of the "Troubles"

loss of a talent.... Yes
    loss of a man... Not really

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Derry lad View Post
    Higgins? No doubt about about it, the best player in the world when on form..
    Outside of that, an alcoholic, wife beater and told Dennis Taylor that he would get him shot while playing a match in the midst of the "Troubles"

loss of a talent.... Yes
    loss of a man... Not really
    Simple answer but you hit the nail on the head,the snooker player will be missed but the man....no.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Reviews

Only ever met the man once, sat beside him for a few hours, seemed genuine, had a bit of craic, didn't follow his life so can't comment. RIP

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

MrFussy (29-07-10)

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast