Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: car question

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post

Automatic gearboxes can also be automated. If you select "D" that's it, it does everything else itself "automatically"........
    Emm ..... no it doesnt, what about 'kickdown?

This is all missing the point. The original post I reckon was referring to manual cars ie clutch and gear stick and automatic cars without a clutch and gear stick which is the way most people look at it.
    Posters then said that you dont have as much control with an automatic which of course is nonsense. I assume they are talking about a car without a clutch and gear stick. Then it went crazy ......

I asked the wife who drives and automatic! Her definition as a woman is... I put it in D and it goes forward, R and it goes backwards and P when I park!

Now the class is dismissed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Emm ..... no it doesnt, what about 'kickdown?
    How does that work???
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

all this car chat gives me road rage......

get over it guys if u like auto drive one if not drive manual or walk ffs

Reviews

How does that work???
    every automatic has what is called a torque convertor, this converts the torque of the engine into a gear change ie if u are in top gear and u push the accelorator it will drop a gear, if u are in 3rd say and u hit the gas it will change up. hence the term "kick Down

Poggo............
    Some PPL mistake an attempt at reconciliation, as a personal attack or insult......

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poggo For This Useful Post:

luther (26-06-10), up for it (26-06-10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poggo View Post
    every automatic has what is called a torque convertor, this converts the torque of the engine into a gear change ie if u are in top gear and u push the accelorator it will drop a gear, if u are in 3rd say and u hit the gas it will change up. hence the term "kick Down

Poggo............
    I know that Poggo, I'm just not sure Bilbo does..........

So what you're saying is if you floor it the gearbox will "automatically" change gears without you "manually" having to actually move the gears???

Hmmm...........

Don't worry Bilbo, it's school boy error...............

The confusion between auto and manual is easilly cleared up...........

Manual means you manually or physically have to move and engage the gears (as in the actual cogs, not the same thing as gear selection).........

Automatic means it does it itself, whether you tell it to or no not, either by selecting a gear, making an imput via the gear stick in the tiptronic or command shift mode, via paddles or through manipulation of the accelerator..........

Selection of gears does not make it manual. Actually moving them does........

In short...........

If you move the gears, it manual........

If it moves the gears, it automatic.........
    L

Reviews

I also think you'll find it changes the gear down. Sorry to be pedantic, but I drove an automatic for 3 years....
    Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Reviews

So what you're saying is if you floor it the gearbox will "automatically" change gears without you "manually" having to actually move the gears???

Hmmm...........

Don't worry Bilbo, it's school boy error...............

The confusion between auto and manual is easilly cleared up...........

Manual means you manually or physically have to move and engage the gears (as in the actual cogs, not the same thing as gear selection).........

Automatic means it does it itself, whether you tell it to or no not, either by selecting a gear, making an imput via the gear stick in the tiptronic or command shift mode, via paddles or through manipulation of the accelerator..........

Selection of gears does not make it manual. Actually moving them does........

In short...........

Ahhh there i go again not paying attention......hey but why change the habit of a life time
    Some PPL mistake an attempt at reconciliation, as a personal attack or insult......

Blog Entries

Ahhh there i go again not paying attention......hey but why change the habit of a life time
    That's not true Poggo. You were being helpfull and I appreciate it.............
    L

In short...........

Well I know exactly what kickdown is and how it occurs and its done via the accelerator pedal. Automatic gearboxes include a way of forcing a downshift into a lower gear ratio if the throttle pedal is fully depressed. In many older designs, kickdown is accomplished by mechanically - usually a cable - actuating a valve inside the transmission. Most modern designs use a solenoid-operated valve that is triggered by a switch on the throttle linkage or under the throttle pedal. So technically speaking you have moved the gears by planting your right foot - or by moving the gear selector - or flicking the flappy paddle, all of which are physical actions done by the driver.

So is there a true automatic transmission..........? No!

Is there a true manual transmission.........? Yes!
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 26-06-10 at 23:39.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bilbo Baggins For This Useful Post:

Monkeynut (27-06-10)

Poggo............
    Torque converters are a seperate part from a gearbox and nothing to do with kickdown. Similarly a clutch and flywheel are not part of a manual gearbox but part of the engine assembly

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast