Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: car question

Default Good question

I have had 2 automatics.

I love autos as the car practically drives itself.

One was a Fiat Punto, there was no auto kick in as it has an electronic auto box, not too many around but I could take off at the lights quicker than anything it was a little flier.

Automatic Pros
    Less work and to me a more enjoyable driving experience.
    No heavy clutch so no stress on your left leg joints etc.

Automatic cons (as I see them)
    More fuel thirsty
    Auto cars start off a lot dearer new than their manual versions.
    In Ireland there is not a lot of choice of autos especially in the smaller to mid engine sizes. For example certain makes don't do an auto version.
    Less control especially if its snowing.
    If the gearbox fucks up more expensive to fix.
    If you want a car and it comes in auto, the engine size of the auto is usually bigger hence more road tax.

Even though the cons list is longer you can't beat driving a good auto !!!

Natasha Guest

Some of the newer cars have both, I love driving in automatic, but when a male driver pisses me off, I will put it into manual and kick his ass. I do love you guys, but sorry this lady is a better driver. Lol

I love my automatic Passat TDI. It handled great in the icy weather and is soooo relaxing on a long run. Heavy on juice though.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lordjohn View Post
    I have had 2 automatics.

I love autos as the car practically drives itself.

One was a Fiat Punto, there was no auto kick in as it has an electronic auto box, not too many around but I could take off at the lights quicker than anything it was a little flier.

Automatic Pros
    Less work and to me a more enjoyable driving experience.
    No heavy clutch so no stress on your left leg joints etc.

Automatic cons (as I see them)
    More fuel thirsty
    Auto cars start off a lot dearer new than their manual versions.
    In Ireland there is not a lot of choice of autos especially in the smaller to mid engine sizes. For example certain makes don't do an auto version.
    Less control especially if its snowing.
    If the gearbox fucks up more expensive to fix.
    If you want a car and it comes in auto, the engine size of the auto is usually bigger hence more road tax.

Even though the cons list is longer you can't beat driving a good auto !!!
    There seems to be more disadvantages over advantages,i think i will stick with the manual....
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by BootSlick55 View Post
    Any car-buffs here?

Question... Automatic gears/transmission are standard in USA, and this makes it a hell of a lot easier/less hassle to drive, IMO. Yet, in Ire, Eng etc driving involves manual gear changes.

Why hasn't automatic superceded manual everywhere? Like in an evolutionary process, where the better idea spreads to render the old way defunct.

I was going to post this on the Straight Dope website, but I think you lot here are smarter than a bunch of geeky know-it-alls. And I'm banned there for claiming to be in the IRA (true story).

I await your insight. (Apologies for any inaccurate car jargon.)
    most manufacturers offer tauto boxes with a tiptronic mode. this basically means you can change gear manually, yet still have 2 pedals. they are normally a couple of grand more expensive than manuals, and there is normally about a 5-10% increase in fuel consumption. thats probably why they havent taken off over here. that and the yanks are lazy b*stards.
    I'm a well hung chap, hung like a bastard says i.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    Some of the newer cars have both, I love driving in automatic, but when a male driver pisses me off, I will put it into manual and kick his ass. I do love you guys, but sorry this lady is a better driver. Lol
    You're right the lady is a better driver, especially when she enters a roundabout on the right, veers into the left lane and then comes off the roundabout on the right. Then she sez that's a luvly looking hat, looking in the shop window on the left and then hits the car up the arse in front of her, but you are right.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

Reviews

Default An accident of history

I think that this is down to a combination of technology, taxation and history.

Go back to the sixties and seventies. Automatic gearboxes came with a penalty of about 25% in terms of efficiency. (This was a limit imposed by the available technology.)

Thus, automatic gearboxes were only viable in countries with low levels of fuel tax that would make car buyers insensitive to fuel consumption.

Today, the tech is completely different. We can use a computer to control a highly efficient gearbox substantially more effectively than a human can. The computer controlled system is also lighter and cheaper to make than the manual system. (No gear stick and tricky mechanical linkage, no clutch pedal. By ditching those you lose two paths through which noise and vibration can enter the cabin so you can get away with less sound and vibration damping.)

European car makers think that it is marvelous that they can actually charge more for the cheaper option too!

So why do we keep on buying the manual option in Europe?

We are used to it. People are bound by habit.

It will change - it _is_ changing but slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkskin View Post
    So why do we keep on buying the manual option in Europe?

We are used to it. People are bound by habit.

It will change - it _is_ changing but slowly.
    You sure? I think people bought into it at the time, it makes sense: less work = better. But it doesn't really turn out like that. I'm sure there was even a sense of elitism about it at the start.... "My car changes gears by itself, it's the newest most expensive thing, how convenient it is for me".

But I think that now time of the "automatic" has come full circle.... it's the people with the automatic who are laughed at. I think even when it's as cheap and efficient as manual 95%+ of people still want manual.

Reviews

Modern auto's are great as they usually have tiptronic where gears can be selected manually. In some Mercedes-Benz, BMW and General Motors Europe models, a 'Winter mode' can be engaged so that second gear is selected instead of first when pulling away from stationary, to reduce the likelihood of loss of traction due to wheelspin on snow or ice. I'd pick a auto over a manual anyday. Formula 1 cars use a tiptronic type of gearbox, a more compeleted one than the adverage car but its not a manual.

Reviews

All my cars are automatics with one exception and I wouldnt have it any other way. I can leave it in full auto mode or i can change gear if I want to, when I want to. They are better in the snow than a manual and easier to get unstuck.
    Modern autos are just as economical as manuals but in some cases new ones today might be a CO2 emission class up on a manual.

As for that stupid comment "Less control especially if its snowing" ......... utter bollox.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast