Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Duddy

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by aml View Post
    I always support all irish boxers,should be a great fight.
    I'm not into supporting anything Irish. But Duddy has paid his dues and Chavez is a brat living off his dad's name. I don't think it'll be that great a fight but it's a 50/50.

If the winner does fight Cotto, they will take a beating.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    i bet his dad was awake for weeks to come up with such an original name.......
    It's not a name that jumps out at you......this is the 1st time I noticed him.

Reviews

I think the Duddy of about 3 years ago (post Campas win) would beat the current JCC Jr. because i think he was a bit more fearless but after switching to trainer don turner he seemed to lose a bit of his pugilstic fervour for a more technical approach.Unfortunately,i don't think Johnny could ever outbox any of the serious contenders and i don't think he's ever got back his pure brawling style - the big payday was the potential fight v Pavlik but the Lyell loss really scuppered that.
    Since the fight is in San Antonio,and with a Chavez surname ,unless John KOs him,unfortunately i expect a UD for JCC Jr.

Reviews

WAR John Duddy!! Would be nice if he won.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    I think the Duddy of about 3 years ago (post Campas win) would beat the current JCC Jr. because i think he was a bit more fearless but after switching to trainer don turner he seemed to lose a bit of his pugilstic fervour for a more technical approach.Unfortunately,i don't think Johnny could ever outbox any of the serious contenders and i don't think he's ever got back his pure brawling style - the big payday was the potential fight v Pavlik but the Lyell loss really scuppered that.
    Since the fight is in San Antonio,and with a Chavez surname ,unless John KOs him,unfortunately i expect a UD for JCC Jr.
    Ya...I agree. I watched his last fight on Pacquiao/Clottey undercard and he struggled. Hopefully he'll go back to what he's knows best and force the fight.
    How would you see Chavez/Cotto going?? I think Arum is being clever here.....if Cotto is finished then he'll finally be able to make big cash off Chavez but if he isn't he'll beat the shit out of Chavez and Arum will probably make more money off Cotto/Margarito2.
    I thnk Cotto looked alright against Foreman, seemed to be moving his feet much better.

Reviews

Think you're spot-on there debest re Arum's motives - he knows JCC Jr is worth more from his name than his talent and so matched Duddy with him would represents a step up on Chavez's previous opponents but prob not enough to beat him(esp in San antonio).Don't think Arum would put Chavez in with Cotto though as miguel still is way too saavy for the mexican.
    Think Arum is also gearing up for Cotto-Plastarito 2 since Miguel's third 'world' title 2 weeks ago.Shocking that Plastarito should even be still allowed a boxing licence but I guess money talks and despite both fighters decline since their first fight,there would be more than enough hype to sell the fight.With Manny Steward now in Cotto's corner(spot-on re your call on cotto's movement vs foreman) and seemingly Plastarito looking awful in his comeback fight,I'd fancy Cotto big-time.

Now if we can only get those top two p4p fighters to get in the ring........!

i wouldnt be his biggest fan either. but, for the sake of irish boxing, i hope he wins.
    I'm a well hung chap, hung like a bastard says i.

Reviews

Think you're spot-on there debest re Arum's motives - he knows JCC Jr is worth more from his name than his talent and so matched Duddy with him would represents a step up on Chavez's previous opponents but prob not enough to beat him(esp in San antonio).Don't think Arum would put Chavez in with Cotto though as miguel still is way too saavy for the mexican.
    Think Arum is also gearing up for Cotto-Plastarito 2 since Miguel's third 'world' title 2 weeks ago.Shocking that Plastarito should even be still allowed a boxing licence but I guess money talks and despite both fighters decline since their first fight,there would be more than enough hype to sell the fight.With Manny Steward now in Cotto's corner(spot-on re your call on cotto's movement vs foreman) and seemingly Plastarito looking awful in his comeback fight,I'd fancy Cotto big-time.

Now if we can only get those top two p4p fighters to get in the ring........!
    Ya....I think if Cotto doesn't back up like he did when he lost to Margarito he'll take him. Huge difference sitting down on your punches rather than punching while backing up. Cotto is probably my favourite active fighter (with Pac and Hopkins) and I was gutted when he took that beating off that cheating scum.....so I will be hoping he kicks his ass. It depends on how far gone Margarito is. His style will always cause Miguel problems, although Miguel is the better fighter.

Agreed on your last point. I think it will be made.....too much money. I fancy the Pretty Boy if it happens though.....

Reviews

Thumbs up A B-Hop fan? aw come on,debest.....

You've better judgement than that ! Definitely Hall of Famer but jeez most of B-Hops fights put fans to sleep rather than opponents - he's had a few bona fida top notch wins ( Tito & Tarver esp) but has participated in a lot of snoozefests (Taylor,Jones Jr.,Allen,Calzaghe).
    Again, i'd agree with you re Pbf over pacman - his defense is just too damn good and would counter him ridiculous.Having said that,if pac connected as per mosley right,pac would finish him and pac's speed and esp angles from southpaw stance must be horrific to deal with.
    Spot on again re Cotto - prob my favourite active fighter as well : rarely fights a stinker and maybe,just maybe ,both his defeats have question marks over them (depending on your pac/roids beliefs).
    Good to see a fellow pugist fan on the site !

Reviews

You've better judgement than that ! Definitely Hall of Famer but jeez most of B-Hops fights put fans to sleep rather than opponents - he's had a few bona fida top notch wins ( Tito & Tarver esp) but has participated in a lot of snoozefests (Taylor,Jones Jr.,Allen,Calzaghe).
    Again, i'd agree with you re Pbf over pacman - his defense is just too damn good and would counter him ridiculous.Having said that,if pac connected as per mosley right,pac would finish him and pac's speed and esp angles from southpaw stance must be horrific to deal with.
    Spot on again re Cotto - prob my favourite active fighter as well : rarely fights a stinker and maybe,just maybe ,both his defeats have question marks over them (depending on your pac/roids beliefs).
    Good to see a fellow pugist fan on the site !
    Leave the B-Hop alone.....the man's a ring genius.....modern day Archie Moore. He made me a fan when he whooped Tito. Want him to retire now.....that jones jr fight was a disgrace.
    I think pac has a chance of outworking PBF....if he uses lots of lateral movement and then in and out quickly he has a chance....but I don't see it happening.
    I'm sure we'll talk again.....I'm sick of those damn soccer threads.....talk about a real sport ffs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast