Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Tech question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,555
    Blog Entries
    11

    Question Tech question

    I couldnt get online last night or earlier today. The connection looked good, the firewall settings were fine and i was getting back a message that the connection was reset (the standard message that appears). A guy told me to delete Norton anti virus if i had it which i did and deleted it and then it still didnt work but this is my first time restarting the pc since it happened so it looks sorted. I have AVG anti virus on the pc so im fine for that.

    My q.If this happens again what could it be? It may not happen again but if it does what should i check.I had a few techies a few years back but no longer have them because of

    (a) one of them died
    (b) had a fight with another
    (c) another is nowhere to be found (he is missing but presumed not right)

    Hate to loose the World cup comp because of missing an update.

    means soooooo much to me,
    Westside.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    RETIRED FROM POSTING
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    I cant help u there...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Well generally you need to first try to find out where is the cut out point.
    1. It can be your provider not working
    2. You router not working
    3. Your firewall blocking the packets coming to your PC
    4. Your browser is doing funny things.

    Always the best is go from the source. Means go from the provider and work your way to the browser to eliminate the possibilities.

    1. If you have a router (e.g. wirelles ADSL, cable router ...) - the lights on it might tell you something is not right, or every router has its setting interface usually at 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 IP address (depends on the make) where you can log into and check if the ADSL connection is established with the ISP and if you are given IP address from ISP and if the connection is working.
    In case you are on Vodafone e.g. mobile stick you check that you have signal, that your dongle is connected to the mobile network - all of that is in its configuration utility (the one you use to connect)
    2. If the router is not doing what supposed to switch it off and on, give it 5 mins to establish the connection, if that fails reset the router to factory setting and set up the router again per instructions provided by ISP. If that fails call the ISP (you might wanna do that before resetting everything to factory settings) - sometimes there is simply disruption of the service or they cut you off for not paying your bills or any other bullshit. Also do all that with cable connection to the router rather than WiFi to avoid your WiFi is faulty.
    3. Every Firewall has an option to temporarily disable. Do that. You can always switch it back on.
    4. Try different browser.

    In lots cases turn off and on the PC will solve it!!!
    I can write very long column on this it really depends on each case and configuration.
    If you have any specific question - shoot. Will do my best to give you an answer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,555
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Well generally you need to first try to find out where is the cut out point.
    1. It can be your provider not working
    2. You router not working
    3. Your firewall blocking the packets coming to your PC
    4. Your browser is doing funny things.

    Always the best is go from the source. Means go from the provider and work your way to the browser to eliminate the possibilities.

    1. If you have a router (e.g. wirelles ADSL, cable router ...) - the lights on it might tell you something is not right, or every router has its setting interface usually at 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 IP address (depends on the make) where you can log into and check if the ADSL connection is established with the ISP and if you are given IP address from ISP and if the connection is working.
    In case you are on Vodafone e.g. mobile stick you check that you have signal, that your dongle is connected to the mobile network - all of that is in its configuration utility (the one you use to connect)
    2. If the router is not doing what supposed to switch it off and on, give it 5 mins to establish the connection, if that fails reset the router to factory setting and set up the router again per instructions provided by ISP. If that fails call the ISP (you might wanna do that before resetting everything to factory settings) - sometimes there is simply disruption of the service or they cut you off for not paying your bills or any other bullshit. Also do all that with cable connection to the router rather than WiFi to avoid your WiFi is faulty.
    3. Every Firewall has an option to temporarily disable. Do that. You can always switch it back on.
    4. Try different browser.

    In lots cases turn off and on the PC will solve it!!!
    I can write very long column on this it really depends on each case and configuration.
    If you have any specific question - shoot. Will do my best to give you an answer.
    I have wired bb. One thing i did just before going online this time was unplugged the main modem and turned it on again. So this might have helped it too. When i checked the icon it showed that the signal strength was ok but the google page wouldnt open up.So my turning off and on the main modem might have done the trick.

    Thanks,
    Westside.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I guess it did, sometimes one of the modem on either side will stop responding or the telecom guys can switching the wires. If you are on a single ADSL modem without any router, you better restart the computer too after switching of and on the modem.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,555
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    I guess it did, sometimes one of the modem on either side will stop responding or the telecom guys can switching the wires. If you are on a single ADSL modem without any router, you better restart the computer too after switching of and on the modem.
    There is a single main modem but i have a router on the pc too.

    Thanks,
    Westside.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Buried up to me bollox in BB Baskin
    Posts
    121
    Reviews
    1

    Default

    Im not a computer person but generally if you have Norton AND AVG on the same computer it can sometimes cause internet issues. AVG is better than Norton and works well with Firefox. By dumping Norton you probably sorted your problem. I got shut of Norton ages ago as it doesn't get on with the Firefox browser.
    Im on Eircom WiFi and when I get any issues I switch everything off for 5 mins and it seems to work
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 16-06-10 at 12:48.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,555
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Yep i had both

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    Im not a computer person but generally if you have Norton AND AVG on the same computer it can sometimes cause internet issues. AVG is better than Norton and works well with Firefox. By dumping Norton you probably sorted your problem
    and removed the norton.

    AVG is better,
    Westside.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,442

    Default

    I like Pauli..................he's a nice bloke.........but sometimes I wish to God he'd speak SAE (Standard Acquired English).

    What the f**k is a dongle?

    Does it get hard when a lady puts her hand on it or puts it in her mouth?

    Is it hardware or software?.........Or can it be both depending on the application?

    And what the f**k is a router?

    Last time I used that term, the lady in question told me I could rout her up the arse if my dongle was in hardware mode!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default


    Not to worry - dongle mobile broadband stick (vodafone, three or 02) that you put a cup on or off and than you stick it into back or front of your computer to get internet connection through the mobile networks.
    I think that you could understand this ?..

    The router is the piece of hardware usually standing or lying box that gives you ADSL (over telephone line) connection to your provider e.g. Eircom. It is kinda modem with built in wirelles and wired networking - it means you can connect your Iphone, PC, Laptop, IPad, Playstation, TV, or your new fridge - all in the same time. And the router will make sure that all the porn video you watching will show on your laptop in your hideaway and not on the fridge or teli where your wife is watching soup series.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •