Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bloody Sunday Report

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derry lad View Post
    Despite everything that happened the Paras were never removed from the streets and were used to spearhead operations in republican strongholds. The govt and the generals knew exactly what they were starting but possibly didn't realise that it would have gone so out of control.
    That's because they had a reputation ay that stage...........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I remember the signing of the Good Friday Agreement,I was in Belfast a month later much more relaxed place,than my previous visits ,anyway this girl comes up to me and says "Your from the South (they can never say Ireland) are you here cos of work? No says I ,I,m here to claim back my land...She laughed,.. before the agreement I probably would have being tarred and feathered.
    Today was another step in a long line off steps to make the North a normal healthy place to live and visit,I have found the Nothern people since the Agreement loosen up, unafraid of welcome,they have blossomed without the violence and may it continue..
    Last edited by Ric Hardgear; 16-06-10 at 00:36.
    a thousand kisses deep..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IrishKelt View Post
    Thought I pressed quote. It was to Parker.

Surely a windup? Because they were getting their asses kicked before America came.
    Actually I think Alec said that........and i his case yes, it probably is a wind up...........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    Actually I think Alec said that........and i his case yes, it probably is a wind up...........
    Luther dearest - if they cant even quote the correct post then what chance that their argument is also flawed - anyway to denigrate the brit effort in ww2 - raf - invention of radar - enigma code breaking is a very foolish position to assert -

ps if anything it was the russians that really helped win the war - the americans were just glory hunting as usual.............

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Hardgear View Post
    this girl comes up to me and says "Your from the South (they can never say Ireland)
    Why would someone say "You're from Ireland" when you're in Ireland?

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

[QUOTE=Alec Horan;234380

sure wouldnt we all be goose stepping german speaking sausage munching nazis if it werent for the brits winning WWII[/QUOTE]
    ================================================================================ ======

Most unlikely Alec , as a Brit you may have survived but Adolf had a dislike for imperfection so the ethnic cleansing would have seen most of
    the Irish nation go straight up the chimney. -- We can thank that great man Winston for the happier outcome.

Reviews

I never thought I'd see the day ......... a Tory PM apoligising for British actions in our land ?
    This sort of thing only helps with the whole process. I reckon a truth & reconciliation commission should be set up to help people from all sides.
    I have to disagree though, doing business with people of the Unionist persuasion is still not easy if you're a southerner. They are polite, courteous etc. but you just get that cold undercurrent. I guess it will take a long time before it really is "normalised", maybe the next generation won't have the scars & wounds, the bigotry & suspicions ?
    No one single action guaranteed that the IRA had an endless supply of willing young volunteers than Bloody Sunday & the cover-up. The British in effect lengthened the war considerably that dreadful day.
    I am happy for the families of the dead, whose sons & brothers Widgery labelled "terrorists". They have campaigned long & hard.
    Go n'eiridh an bothar libh go leir.
    "I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there."
    Oscar Wilde

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheNads For This Useful Post:

Irish Soairsa (16-06-10)

Reviews

David Cameron has shown himself to be a most learned gentleman.
    It was terrorism which led to the 'freaked' out soldiers. 6 of their friends had been sniped weeks before.
    The ballot box is the educated/civil way to affect change, if possible.

Hi Nads! where u been man?

the biggest victim is the truth, u see it so much in this crazy world we live in....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Experienced Punter esq For This Useful Post:

warmcome (16-06-10)

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Horan View Post
    would you mind defining the Irish people ?

sure wouldnt we all be goose stepping german speaking sausage munching nazis if it werent for the brits winning WWII
    Brits winning WWII???? News to me. According to anything I've seen it was the US who won it!! But of course Russia were the people who actually defeated the Nazis and paid the highest price.
    Last edited by huhuggs; 16-06-10 at 11:23.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast