Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Irish are lovely ppl?

Reviews

Haven't travelled much abroad but have found UK people ive met to be very sound - much more so than irish people and certainly a lot more broad-minded when it comes to sex than their irish counterparts . Buddy who backpacked all over the world reckons the nicest people he ever met were from Iran of all places (didn't say anything about Iranians attitudes to sex but if ever a case of discretion being the better part of valour).Wasn't an especially big fan of the Italians.
    Think the excesses of the Tiger really brought out the worst in us - broadly speaking,you'll get assholes of every nationality - we're probably in the middle of that 'asswipe per capita' league.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    this could be a bit of a controversial one but whatever. Where in the name of god did this Irish are lovely ppl come from? Im Irish and my jesus dont consider alot of Irish ppl to be all that nice to be honest. Of course i know alot of nice Irish ppl but they way we are spoken about as in being nice ppl as a nation is undeserved in my book.

thoughts?
    Westside.
    probably a throw back to the days of huge emigration when people that traveled had to be a polite as possible and do what ever they were told just to get jobs. Then as tourism began to grow in Ireland we kept this up as a way of bleeding people dry, weather they be in pubs or some other place where us Irish are looking for their cash.

I reckon the Celtic Tiger has ruined all that, as service industries were taken over pretty much by foreign nationals who were here just to make money and not really care about the company they were working for they were as rude as they liked, also because jobs were 10 penny to come across who gave a fuck if I get fired today, sure I'll get another job tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by monster_monster View Post
    probably a throw back to the days of huge emigration when people that traveled had to be a polite as possible and do what ever they were told just to get jobs. Then as tourism began to grow in Ireland we kept this up as a way of bleeding people dry, weather they be in pubs or some other place where us Irish are looking for their cash.

I reckon the Celtic Tiger has ruined all that, as service industries were taken over pretty much by foreign nationals who were here just to make money and not really care about the company they were working for they were as rude as they liked, also because jobs were 10 penny to come across who gave a fuck if I get fired today, sure I'll get another job tomorrow
    I agree that emigration has spread us far and wide but we still have an excellent reputation abroad. Put our own social problems to one side, every country has them. We have a downshift in the economy, big deal, it will pass.

Irish bars thrive around the world because people like us. I was in an Irish bar in El Salvador that was packed, not one fecking word of English between them but so what, they identify the Irish with good times and good people.

The one thing that will ruin us is Irish people who go abroad and complain about how bad the countries' getting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    The one thing that will ruin us is Irish people who go abroad and complain about how bad the countries' getting.
    very true

Reviews

I understand what you are saying,i am Irish and good and bad everywhere but the one thing about Irish people that drives me nuts is that we are a nation of begrudgers,having a few euro in this country is nearly frowned upon,other nations such as America applaud sucess.I say FUCK THE BEGRUDGERS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Notatwork View Post
    I understand what you are saying,i am Irish and good and bad everywhere but the one thing about Irish people that drives me nuts is that we are a nation of begrudgers,having a few euro in this country is nearly frowned upon,other nations such as America applaud sucess.I say FUCK THE BEGRUDGERS.
    great point, i find that to hold true for nearly 90% of people in Ireland. If they can't have something they really don't you want to have it, no matter how hard you have worked to get to where you are in your life.

Natasha Guest

Im not sure whether or not you could call us Irish nice or nosey... Im still trying to figure it out... But i do find when you meet Irish people where ever you go they are more friendly...

Quote Originally Posted by monster_monster View Post
    great point, i find that to hold true for nearly 90% of people in Ireland. If they can't have something they really don't you want to have it, no matter how hard you have worked to get to where you are in your life.
    90% of Irish are begrudgers? Lads where are you getting these numbers?

Statistics aside there is a universal law, people complain about the traits in others that are actually present in themselves.

I'll roll with your post, however ask yourselves this one, are you one of the 90% or the 10%?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    90% of Irish are begrudgers? Lads where are you getting these numbers?

Statistics aside there is a universal law, people complain about the traits in others that are actually present in themselves.

I'll roll with your post, however ask yourselves this one, are you one of the 90% or the 10%?
    90% would be just an estimate of the people I would come across and put in the begrudgers list. I really hope I'd be in the 10% though as I don't really care what others have nor do I care if I can/can't have it either. But most importantly I'll give people credit where credit is due.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Haven't travelled much abroad but have found UK people ive met to be very sound - much more so than irish people and certainly a lot more broad-minded when it comes to sex than their irish counterparts . Buddy who backpacked all over the world reckons the nicest people he ever met were from Iran of all places (didn't say anything about Iranians attitudes to sex but if ever a case of discretion being the better part of valour).Wasn't an especially big fan of the Italians.
    Think the excesses of the Tiger really brought out the worst in us - broadly speaking,you'll get assholes of every nationality - we're probably in the middle of that 'asswipe per capita' league.
    I find the British way nicer than Irish. you know where you stand with a brit.They would tell you to fuck off and that would be the end of it but Irish would say no worries and there will never be an end to it. We are absolutly dreadful business ppl. I think the Spainish in general are a fairly stright up race of ppl too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast