Quote Originally Posted by TheNads View Post
It's good to see that someone somewhere has the balls to say "fuck you" to their government & their new EU lords & masters.
I can't condone the firebombing of a bank or the awful deaths involved but just what would it take to get mass demonstrations onto our streets ???
I heard on the news last night that one of the Greek people's chants was something akin to :

"We are not Irish, we won't bail out the rich"

Interseting, very interesting ................
Our government keeps telling us that we have a gold star from the EU for our swift & thorough actions. Maybe the EU beurocrats, who want to maintain the status quo are happy that we are toeing the line but it's interesting to hear what normal people think.

TheNads thinks that Irish people are generally compliant & spineless. I keep reading that taking to the streets & demonstrating will serve no purpose, well bollox to that.
Wouldn't it show the vested interests that we won't tolerate this again, we want heads ! Can you believe that we still have 90% of the same people heading government & banks as 2 yrs ago ?? Really !!! These people got us here & we leave them there to adjust things back to where they want it again ??
A good angry demo (without the violence) would certainly help repair the Nad's very negative view on his own people.
I agree totally with u that was has gone on is scandalous, worse that 3 people have lost their lives, but this
really is a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. What will these protests achieve? nothing
they will just make a bad situation worse,by going too far they have actually played into the hands of the
goverment as this morning the news channels are saying ordinary decent people want to distance themselves from these murders and thuggery. The problem here is what option has Greece ? none is the answer, if they
dont accept this loan and the conditions that go with it they are bankrupt, so instead of enforced cuts on wages
etc there will be no wages and the people protesting instead of getting reductions will not be paid atall.
In fairness the greek economy is a total basket case,it is almost totally dependent on tourism and i guess there
will be alot of people who were thinking of going there for a holiday will now go elswhere on the off chance of being caught up in all of this . There is a terrible culture of lies and deciet in greece with the goverment leading
the way by cooking the books and not being up front about deficets etc ,it now seems that they lied and
didnt meet the criteria to join the Euro and are now reaping the rewards of this. Also apparently the black economy is huge there and tax avoidance a real massive problem