I threated myself to a little toy a few years back, I got it in the UK and as I only had it a short time and drove it the on the odd occasion I hadn't got round to nor did I see any great urgency registering it and paying the VRT.
Anyway I hadn't taken it out of the garage for 2 months, the weather was good so I took it out for a spin. Headed to Dublin and I got stopped at a check point, because I had it insured he was able see that I had the vehicle 3 months, needless to say he seized the car, when the tow truck arrived and took the car, the garda left me there saying there is a payphone in the petrol station about a 3 mile up the road if I don't have a phone on me to call someone and off he went.
Got a €1500 fine plus I had to pay the VRT which was backdated to when it first entered the country. I'm not complaining about him taking the car, I was in the wrong but don't leave a guy stranded in the arsehole of nowhere, right wanker he was, another typical example of power resting on small shoulders within the Gardai!!