Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Life Balance

1. Default Work Life Balance

I am just curious to get everyone’s views on work life balance. Does your job compromise your personal life.

I travel a bit and now I find the travel etc takes its toil and I need to be better organised etc.

Do you have a job that requires you to travel and how do you manage your work life schedule.

I am sure that the girls who tour and work long hours must have some views on how they manage their schedules and life.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Launcelot For This Useful Post:

Nononsense111 (27-02-24), TommyH123 (27-02-24)

Reviews

My work takes me to all sorts of places in Europe and further. Last year according to Google timeline I travelled 2.6 times around the world.

I love to travel but I also like to sit at home and do absolutely nothing.
    I don't schedule anything personal until last minute
    ( within a week or 2) due to work.

Fav place last year that I wasn't expecting was Namibia
    Last edited by Clubcard; 27-02-24 at 14:40.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clubcard For This Useful Post:

TommyH123 (27-02-24)

Reviews

I travel quite a bit due to work commitments but as I’m practically my own boss, I set my own schedule and I don’t get micro managed as long as the tasks gets completed.

The travel doesn’t impact greatly on my home life, it’s structured and planned well in advance, very little last minute trips, maybe once or twice a year I’ll have to fire fight an issue but its rare, outside that its generally problem free, trips to corporate and various trade shows break the monotony, was in Cork and Dublin in the last two weeks, Frankfurt shortly, had a long stint in the UK before Xmas.

I try not to work away from home on Fridays to make up for all the travel time and am fairly well compensated in general, the sad fact is we all need an additional income stream these days, travel expenses pay for a lot of our day to day bills.

I guess my routine won’t change in the near future but I do have my mind on an exit strategy from the grind, hopefully before I hit the finish line in 15 years.

To follow CC’s lead, most interesting work related destination was South Korea

Reviews

My job requires a lot of travelling here and abroad. Work life balance isn't really a thing for me. I can work 12/13 hour days sometimes. I am decently paid so there's a trade off.

The thing that bothers me is the loneliness of travelling by yourself for work, at the start it was nice, especially abroad,nice places to stay and everything paid for but after a while it becomes annoying ordering your dinner for one and going back to an empty bed.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WellDressed For This Useful Post:

Nononsense111 (27-02-24), TommyH123 (27-02-24)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WellDressed View Post
    My job requires a lot of travelling here and abroad. Work life balance isn't really a thing for me. I can work 12/13 hour days sometimes. I am decently paid so there's a trade off.

The thing that bothers me is the loneliness of travelling by yourself for work, at the start it was nice, especially abroad,nice places to stay and everything paid for but after a while it becomes annoying ordering your dinner for one and going back to an empty bed.
    to be honest I sorted the eating alone/empty bed issues fairly quickly, haven't figured a way to put it down on the expenses sheet yet

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TommyH123 For This Useful Post:

Clubcard (27-02-24), Lighthearted2022 (27-02-24), Nononsense111 (27-02-24), Rooney2808 (27-02-24), WellDressed (27-02-24)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH123 View Post
    to be honest I sorted the eating alone/empty bed issues fairly quickly, haven't figured a way to put it down on the expenses sheet yet
    ^^^^ potm^^^^^^

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clubcard For This Useful Post:

TommyH123 (27-02-24), WellDressed (27-02-24)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WellDressed View Post
    This bit, although I don't tend to go to nice places. They don't tend to build machines in nice places.

I hate going to restaurants by myself. Especially when I was regularly travelling to Czech Republic (not Prague). I'm guessing nobody eats alone there, because they would leave you sitting there all night without a menu if you let them, I assume because they think you are waiting for someone.

In that job, you had to get a hotel. I fought for years to be allowed rent an apartment with a kitchen (actually much cheaper than a hotel) but it was against company policy, and it was a big company who weren't for changing their worldwide policy.

Also, projects usually meant travelling to the same place multiple times, and the shine really goes off travelling then. I spent almost two years in Czech, when you count up the 1-2 week trips, 6 months in Singapore, Penang and Johor Bahru in Malaysia, and Neuchatel/Le Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland, and a fair amount of time in Germany, Canada, Florida. Never in the nice parts of them.

It's also something you get absolutely no sympathy for from anyone who doesn't travel for work. Everyone who hasn't done it seems to think they would love it.

They wouldn't.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredBiscuits For This Useful Post:

WellDressed (27-02-24)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FredBiscuits View Post
    This bit, although I don't tend to go to nice places. They don't tend to build machines in nice places.

I hate going to restaurants by myself. Especially when I was regularly travelling to Czech Republic (not Prague). I'm guessing nobody eats alone there, because they would leave you sitting there all night without a menu if you let them, I assume because they think you are waiting for someone.

In that job, you had to get a hotel. I fought for years to be allowed rent an apartment with a kitchen (actually much cheaper than a hotel) but it was against company policy, and it was a big company who weren't for changing their worldwide policy.

Also, projects usually meant travelling to the same place multiple times, and the shine really goes off travelling then. I spent almost two years in Czech, when you count up the 1-2 week trips, 6 months in Singapore, Penang and Johor Bahru in Malaysia, and Neuchatel/Le Chaux-de-Fonds in Switzerland, and a fair amount of time in Germany, Canada, Florida. Never in the nice parts of them.

It's also something you get absolutely no sympathy for from anyone who doesn't travel for work. Everyone who hasn't done it seems to think they would love it.

They wouldn't.
    I’m with you on this, where you end up working is generally industrial in the extreme, I insist on a centrally located hotel to counteract it and to be fair in my case I’m not away from home for more than 3-4 days so it’s bearable, what you’re describing seems like hard work.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Launcelot View Post
    I am just curious to get everyone’s views on work life balance. Does your job compromise your personal life.

I travel a bit and now I find the travel etc takes its toil and I need to be better organised etc.

Do you have a job that requires you to travel and how do you manage your work life schedule.

I am sure that the girls who tour and work long hours must have some views on how they manage their schedules and life.
    I do find myself so tired some evennings that as soon as I get home I can't do anything.

Some days it is very hard to find that balance. At least I find personally

The people who have endless motivation are incredible honestly

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH123 View Post
    I’m with you on this, where you end up working is generally industrial in the extreme, I insist on a centrally located hotel to counteract it and to be fair in my case I’m not away from home for more than 3-4 days so it’s bearable, what you’re describing seems like hard work.
    The town I was in, in Czech, centrally located wasn't much use. The whole town wasn't great to be in (I'm sure it's fine if you had your life there).

On the plus side, it's where Semtex is made (not the reason I was there, I promise)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredBiscuits For This Useful Post:

Clubcard (27-02-24), TonyB (27-02-24)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast