• Allow to fade away

5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Irish Language- An Gaeilge

Blog Entries

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by experienced punter View Post
    no its not bullshit seriously I went to an all Irish speaking primary school fellas then in secondary school were too busy asking me to write them essays(for money) etc rather than listening believe me I know
    I was a star pupil....
    for me it was a case of if those that value it dont take it seriously so neither will i ,so i didnt. I passed all my Irish because of the determination to prove them wrong. I actually did great considering i had nobody but myself to teach it and i had zero interest in it. Now i hate it and i hate the ppl that shove it down ppls throats.

I have no respect for it,
    Westside.

Blog Entries

Default I'd say it was both.......

Quote Originally Posted by experienced punter View Post
    Luther u got belted because of who u are nothing to do with u being thick...
    And lazy too, or so they told me.............
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Blog Entries

Default Yep.........

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    for me it was a case of if those that value it dont take it seriously so neither will i ,so i didnt. I passed all my Irish because of the determination to prove them wrong. I actually did great considering i had nobody but myself to teach it and i had zero interest in it. Now i hate it and i hate the ppl that shove it down ppls throats.

I have no respect for it,
    Westside.
    I blame Lisbon..........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Default the butchers apron

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Horan View Post
    you superannuated bleep bleep !

bet you wouldent walk down the street in limerick....waving that....you bleep bleep west brit langer....take you brit loving ...and your butchers apron....and stick it up your hole....u fucking hun.....the most hated flag on the planet...a symbol of death and hated by everone who see it fly.............the butchers apron

Moderator's Comment: Less abuse please cartman, and make your mind up as to whether Alec is a west brit or a hun....they are not the same.
    Last edited by carlos marvado; 04-02-10 at 23:04. Reason: I like saying bleep bleep...bleep bleep.

Reviews

I don't understand why students from Dublin are sent to the gaeltacht areas to learn Irish. They don't have any excuse for not having good Irish. Irish has been taught in all schools in the country since they were infants. Maybe it's an excuse for a holiday and they have good Irish anyhow.
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

Default My old mans a dustman.= lonnie donegan

Quote Originally Posted by cartman View Post
    bet you wouldent walk down the street in limerick....waving that....you bleep bleep west brit langer....take you brit loving ...and your butchers apron....and stick it up your hole....u fucking hun.....the most hated flag on the planet...a symbol of death and hated by everone who see it fly.............the butchers apron
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yaaarrr , I am sorry you feel so intimidated by superiority Eric , but take heart that counselling
    for an inferiority complex is available in Cork.
    Thanks for flying the Union flag in your posting , its very humble of you.
    Have a nice evening.
    Last edited by carlos marvado; 04-02-10 at 23:06. Reason: More f**king bleep bleeps required for quotation

Default wanna be brit

Quote Originally Posted by capt.pugwash View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yaaarrr , I am sorry you feel so intimidated by superiority Eric , but take heart that counselling
    for an inferiority complex is available in Cork.
    Thanks for flying the Union flag in your posting , its very humble of you.
    Have a nice evening.
    yyaarrr.....you be a right langer...captain dickhead

Quote Originally Posted by cartman View Post
    yyaarrr.....you be a right langer...captain dickhead
    Yaaarrr , congratulations Eric, that was your post No.100
    you have been busy of late

Quote Originally Posted by capt.pugwash View Post
    Yaaarrr, sorry I am a bit anti Gaelige but Westies experience of it sums it up for me.
    School hours are short enough for this to be a statutory subject.
    The other issue I laugh at is whomever is responsible for keeping it live and creating
    new translated words is somewhat lacking in originality.---- eg --
    CUP OF TEA = CUPAN TAE
    CONDOM = CONDAM
    AIRPORT = AERFORT
    HELICOPTER = HEILEACAPTAR
    FFS , and that was just the first few words I looked up.
    An awful lot of Irish people I talk to are struggling with the Prime language let alone
    learning Irish.
    My maths teacher used to say --- Pytagoras`s Teorem
    You should try those words in French or Spanish

French
    tasse de thé
    préservatif
    aéroport
    hélicoptère

Spanish
    taza de té
    preservativo
    aeropuerto
    helicóptero

Not exactly the most inventive words in the world. Even without knowing the languages, you can see where the words came from.
    None of those words are native to the language.
    All languages have to adapt to new words.

FWIW, I'm all for keeping the language. I know it was beaten into us as kids, but it would be crying shame to lose it. It's part of our heritage.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

So far, "something to be proud of" is clearly in the lead. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but why would I feel proud? I know a few languages, some better than others, but I don't think I've ever felt pride in any of them. After all, I've never contributed anything to any of them. I only feel proud of things I've done, and not many of those.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast