View Poll Results: Is 2010 the last year of the old decade, or the first year of the new???

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • First year of a new decade.

14 60.87%
  • Last year of an old decade.

9 39.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 2010 the last year of the old decade, or the first year of the new???

HAL is pissed...

2009 a space odyssey doesn't have the same ring to it.

Reviews

Anyone who has read the books or seen the films 2001 and 2010 would know that HAL turned against his crewmates because of programming conflicts caused largely by the orders of a self serving untrustworthy government.Of course it is only fiction and could never happen in reality........
    could it??????

P.S. I too believe that 2010 is the last year of this decade although Im sure 99% of people will not agree.
    Last edited by westcorklad; 22-12-09 at 13:27.
    The Truth is out there.

Blog Entries

Default Depends

a decade is ten years so if 0 is included then 2010 is the first year of the new decade but if 0 isnt included then 2010 is the last year of the old decade.

all maths today,
    Westside.

Reviews

So wats the answer
    mam mammy mam mam mam mammy

Reviews

Yeah, what IS the answer??

Blog Entries

Default Have a read of this...

And see if it helps.............

Anno Domini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by carlos marvado View Post
    That's actually incorrect Anon. The first year of the Christian era was 1 AD and it was preceded by the last year before the Christian era 1 BC. Unlike a mathematical number sequence, there was no year 0.

If a decade is 10 years, a century 100 and a millennium 1000, then the first decade of the Christian era was 1 AD to 10 AD incl., the first century 1 AD to 100 AD incl. and the first millennium 1 AD to 1000 AD incl. However as many historians seem to think that the correct year of Christ's birth was 6 BC, we are therefore dealing with a totally arbitrary dating system introduced hundreds of years ago and based on a miscalculation of a person's birth year.

Be that as it may, according to the Christian chronology, the second millennium ended on 31st December 2000 and the third one began the following day......all the fireworks were basically a year early. The current decade thus includes 2010.

Jews, Muslims and those who like to date the earth scientifically from the time of it's creation or from the Big Bang would of course quote different figures.

Personally, I have my own little system dating system...........BCM and ACM.
    Ok, so I have looked this up and it would seem I was incorrect in using AD in my post but I was correct in saying there is a year zero just not in the Julian or Gregorian calenders but there is a year zero in the Astronomical calender which the science community use, so we are both correct and it would seem either option in this poll is correct so now I hope you are all totally confused

Blog Entries

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Yeah, what IS the answer??
    i reckon its the last year of the last decade.I dont know much about this AD / BC stuff but 0 usually means nothing.If you had €0 then you have no money.So i would imagine 0 AD is not a year but nothing.

Westside.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    i reckon its the last year of the last decade.I dont know much about this AD / BC stuff but 0 usually means nothing.If you had €0 then you have no money.So i would imagine 0 AD is not a year but nothing.

Westside.
    But we all lived 365 days of 1980 1990 2000 etc so 0 does have a value when it comes to time. 0 to 9 is ten digits, 0 to 10 is 11 digits. It makes more sense to work from 0 to 9 so I would say 2010 is the first year of the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterpoundher View Post
    But we all lived 365 days of 1980 1990 2000 etc so 0 does have a value when it comes to time. 0 to 9 is ten digits, 0 to 10 is 11 digits. It makes more sense to work from 0 to 9 so I would say 2010 is the first year of the next decade.
    Carlos is actually 100% right

We celebrated the millenium a year early as only 1999 years had passed since 1 AD therefor the millenium, century and decade did not start till 2001.

Of course we all completely ignore this as it means 1990 was part of the 80s and 1980 was part of the 70s etc.

Of course it makes more sense to start at 0 to 9 but unfortunately the people creating the calendar did not do that and started at 1.

So technically 2010 is part of the first decade of this millenium but in practise it is considered the first year of the second decade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast