Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Dublin?!?!?!

Reviews

I had planned to go over for a weekend but not now,
    Worst time to go would be when England beat Ireland in Rugby or soccer and if they hear a British voice youre in for a hiding...
    Its got worst and its overpriced for everything. I will keep my head on my shoulders and stay away or pay two bodyguards

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WeeJimmy View Post
    I had planned to go over for a weekend but not now,
    Worst time to go would be when England beat Ireland in Rugby or soccer and if they hear a British voice youre in for a hiding...
    Its got worst and its overpriced for everything. I will keep my head on my shoulders and stay away or pay two bodyguards
    Soccer its nailed on , Rugby I have never seen violence from supporters but then again it is you posting , our v own Daily Star jorno

There is violence in areas like Temple Bar constantly only because it is tourists does it get coverage , a fact worth a debate
    Last edited by beautyaddict; 15-08-23 at 03:28.
    Clubcard stop now
    "Those who keep the ability to see beauty, never grow old"- Frank Kafka

You will Always be fond of me .I represent all the Sins you never had the Courage to commit Oscar Wilde

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beautyaddict For This Useful Post:

Rooney2808 (15-08-23)

Reviews

Talbot street from Connolly station to Gardiner street is a no go area , also Marlborough street towards the quays.
    I don’t agree about the English being targeted I work with a couple of English lads and they get no hassle.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ford pefect For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (15-08-23), SteveB (15-08-23)

Reviews

Every city in Ireland, and most of the world, someone gets the shit kicked out of them every weekend. The unfortunate American tourist just made the news because of the severity of the beating he got, and the repercussions. Then the story of the UK tourists was heighten because the American tourist thing had happened a couple of weeks before. It wouldn't have made the news otherwise.

No-go areas? Calm down, there's no need for hysterics.

Reviews

If Dublin was as bad as most of you are making out, the hotel prices wouldn't be so high because no one would want to come here.

Reviews

Fred I Have to disagree, I know Dublin very well and there are certainly areas you should avoid as I mentioned earlier, I enjoy popping into town for a meal and a few beers but by 8pm I’d be in a taxi back to my local.

I used to live in the city... for 8 years I had a lovely apartment on the north side (D3 - near Croke Park) and worked in a couple of locations in the city centre. You couldn't pay me to live there now.

Reviews

It’s not just Dublin it’s any major city, drugs alcoholism and other problems seem to have increased, as I say I know the city well and the two areas I mentioned are very close to a Garda station, there are drugs openly dealt and taken, cans of beer being consumed in the open (which I believe is illegal ) but the guards do nothing ,go in a report a crime and they just shrug their shoulders

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ford pefect View Post
    Fred I Have to disagree, I know Dublin very well and there are certainly areas you should avoid as I mentioned earlier, I enjoy popping into town for a meal and a few beers but by 8pm I’d be in a taxi back to my local.
    That's just you getting older. I walk those parts of town at all hours, and have never had a problem.

As for people saying that it is getting worse, everywhere in the world has short term peaks and troughs, but generally speaking crime has gone down everywhere for the 30 years... And yet people's "fear of crime" has gone up massively, despite the lower crime rates. Part of that is increased reportage and coverage of the lower number of crimes that are happening, that you wouldn't have heard about 15 years ago.

Drug addiction issues, assuming you are talking about opioids as people usually mean when they mention drugs, are exactly the same for the last 10 years, and are quite a bit lower than they were in the 90s and 00s. You'll also be happy to know that usage amongst younger people (under 24) is dropping at quite a high rate when compared to 10 years ago.

For booze, both alcohol consumption and "problematic alcohol users", have consistently been dropping for decades in Ireland now.

The main drug that has seen an increase is coke, and that is mostly driven by increased usage in areas you won't see called out as "No go" areas here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FredBiscuits For This Useful Post:

Rooney2808 (15-08-23)

Reviews

Anyway, if you want to know when things were are their worst (in relatively recent years), 2007 is your answer.

People just seem to forget the bad that happened in the past, and long for a beautiful and safe time that never actually existed. This has always been the way.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredBiscuits For This Useful Post:

lammerk (16-08-23), Larrii (15-08-23)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast