Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Fair Deal Scheme and Nursing Home care in Ireland

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by john40 View Post
    Is it really the case that the state covers 100% of the cost after 3 years. I thought it was just that the 3 year cap on the value of the house being used was removed
    Well my understanding is they take 80% of the pension after 3 years, nothing else. You can also seek a review of the deal every year and the charge will likely reduce a bit if cash assets have reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbusdriver View Post
    Well my understanding is they take 80% of the pension after 3 years, nothing else. You can also seek a review of the deal every year and the charge will likely reduce a bit if cash assets have reduced.
    Ok thank you

Another quick question if someone could help I'd appreciate it very much.

I've been contemplating selling my own house to move back to be with my Mother as I would hate to see her left alone. Both my parents have done so much for me in my life it wouldn't cost me a thought.

However, I'm wondering. Can the income I make from the sale of my house be taken into account ? As my original post states, everything has been submitted and we've already been told what we have to pay. I'm fearful of taking that step in case it affects the weekly contribution we've been told we have to make to the nursing home costs.

Reviews

Excellent nursing homes in England with first class room costs about 1400 stg per week and they big waiting lists
    Old age pensions are half that of what you get in Ireland so its a massive cost per week

Reviews

Heard that there's an arrangement where you rent out the family home to house Ukrainians and the rent can cover the shortfall in the fair deal scheme.
    But sickening thing about the fair deal scheme is how unfair it is. Someone that worked hard, were careful with their money, bought their own house and who were a net contributor to the state are fleeced. However, those that were a constant burden to the state, and those that squandered every penny are looked after for free

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philipkntz For This Useful Post:

ORDINARYJOE (20-07-23), SecretaryLover (20-07-23)

Quote Originally Posted by john40 View Post
    I would like to hear peoples experiences of both in this country.

Unfortunately my Father was diagnosed with rapid dementia in March and has subsequently had to enter full time nursing hone care since June. His decline I'm sad to say has been pretty fast.

We applied for the fair deal funding scheme about 3 weeks ago and received notification that once it has been approved we will have to pay a contribution of €402 per week. The particular nursing home where he is charges €4,517 per month. I have always been a little disgusted with the costs of nursing home care in this country.

I have also been more than worried about certain practices that go on in some of these homes and have witnessed a few in the last few months firsthand. I appreciate how hard a job they have (I worked in the health service based in a hospital for 25 years so have an idea of the pressures they're under), but that doesn't mean they can't treat their residents with the respect they deserve.

I know the government can't be expected to pay for everything but am I the only one who thinks that if you've worked all your life, which my Father had as an ambulance driver for 35 yrs and you contributed by means of tax, PRSI etc. That if you need care in later life you should be looked after ?
    My dad went into a nursing home at the start of the year. Broke me. The fees are €1500 a week and €200 contribution a week. Where he is the place is great the room he has it larger them most hotel rooms. We are lucky. We got fair deal aster 8 weeks.

Does anyone know. When it comes to the family contribution to nursing home costs once fair deal funding comes through. Is the persons old age pension paid directly to the nursing home and the family pay the balance or does the spouse continue to collect the pension and just pay the full amount to the nursing home directly ? Thank you in advance

Reviews

Why doesn’t beemer post on this thread, I’m sure he’d have some first hand info to share on the subject

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123