Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laura Trevelyan , Repatriations Ireland not mentioned

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ryankelvin View Post
    Well said BA ,
    I agree with what you say , the devastation caused in Ireland at that time was absolutely horrendous,
    It really comes into war crimes category, to be stealing grain etc . And the country starving.
    When you visit some of the museums in London, and see what the British pilfered and stole from around the world it is shocking.
    What happened in Ireland in the 1800s would be seen as irrelevant, which is very wrong.
    We do have to move on and rise above that time and that hurt .
    The only reason the pyramids are still in Egypt is that the British couldn’t figure out how to steal them

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TommyH123 For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (26-04-23), beautyaddict (25-04-23), ford pefect (26-04-23), Ryankelvin (25-04-23), WellDressed (25-04-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WellDressed View Post

BA starting this thread

I love it
    I had to head out unplanned , so not throwing a grenade and walkies , it might get a bit hot but thats a decent debate init
    Clubcard stop now
    "Those who keep the ability to see beauty, never grow old"- Frank Kafka

You will Always be fond of me .I represent all the Sins you never had the Courage to commit Oscar Wilde

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beautyaddict For This Useful Post:

Ryankelvin (25-04-23), WellDressed (25-04-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ryankelvin View Post
    Well said BA ,
    I agree with what you say , the devastation caused in Ireland at that time was absolutely horrendous,
    It really comes into war crimes category, to be stealing grain etc . And the country starving.
    When you visit some of the museums in London, and see what the British pilfered and stole from around the world it is shocking.
    What happened in Ireland in the 1800s would be seen as irrelevant, which is very wrong.
    We do have to move on and rise above that time and that hurt .
    Agreed but not forget , UK needs to own its past and educate otherwise they will not understand hostility they may experience , some on Stag parties think its just because we are drunk paddies who built their roads that there is an issue
    Clubcard stop now

You will Always be fond of me .I represent all the Sins you never had the Courage to commit Oscar Wilde

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beautyaddict For This Useful Post:

Ryankelvin (25-04-23)

IMO Laura Trevelyan, and her likes are only courting publicity.

We can not hold people alive today for the sins of their ancestors etc, but we can certainly confiscate excessive wealth where it is clear that this wealth came from slavery etc.

As regards holding Britain responsible for their past and expecting them to pay reparations that is pure fantasy.

I remember meeting a young student in Armenia, about 20 years of age, very well educated and all he wanted to do was join the army and kill a few Turks, or Azerbaijanis, when I asked him why, given no one alive today had any involvement in the genocide, he looked as me as if I had 2 heads. The hatred built into him was sad, but a symptom of problems throughout the world with hatred of events 100+ years ago.

My own ancestors going back 100 years, could have been Catholic, or Prod, Irish or English or American, I have no idea and I certainly feel no responsibility for what they may or may not have done.

Had I inherited millions and it was money covered in blood, then I would understand it been seized.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noregrets For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (26-04-23), Ryankelvin (26-04-23)

Reviews

Been thinking about this , should UK educate on its empire and what it did like the Famine here , one problem or should I say 65 problems as that was the number of countries they seized at the height of Empire so thats a lot of history they need to re tell .

However Ireland as in Northern Ireland is the final piece of land held via Empire , some Scots will get a bit WTF but for now it is seen as such , and perhaps the UK needs to educate on our shared history so they can understand us better.

Will we ever get compensation ? I doubt it but making the case might be the goal rather than achieving it .

Allowing a silence is not a solution .
    Clubcard stop now

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beautyaddict For This Useful Post:

Ryankelvin (26-04-23), WellDressed (26-04-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by beautyaddict View Post
    I see she is actively campaigning for Slavery repatriations to Caribbean mainly , I watched her interview , her great great grand father Sir Charles Edward is immortalized in the fields of Athenry , as in Trevelyans corn , as in food he exported during the famine , her family heavily involved in slavery also

1 million died here during the Famine , our population has never recovered , indeed the estimate is 1.8 million in total died here and in transit. She never mentioned Ireland nor was she asked

So here is the question , how much was taken from us by the British in wealth and lives and slavery as in Australia and all but free labour in UK

And lets not forget the economic blockade 1932/ 1938 when we reclaimed our ports which utterly devastated this country at that time and only ended because of 2nd world War . I am sure there is much more to be found when we were forced off land and that food exported to UK

So why no mention of Ireland , why no debate on repatriations , slavery in my opinion was not confined to color alone and the destruction of us by the Famine ????

Not a word on us

Not good enough I say
    Don't get me started mete , my great grandfather was shot by the black and tans while my great grandmother was heavily pregnant working the fields just to survive . Then she comes along and has the nerve to say things like this and not even mention , they forget the past because there past is tainted in blood , its OK now there a modern country but they forget how they became a modern country , through slavery and violence and death and robbery of there neighbouring countries and now the very races they enslaved are running Britain. There will never be a me ton for us cause all that was swept under the carpet . And they wonder Ireland still harbours so much hate towards certain parts of there society .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kangaroo02 For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (26-04-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroo02 View Post
    Don't get me started mete , my great grandfather was shot by the black and tans while my great grandmother was heavily pregnant working the fields just to survive . Then she comes along and has the nerve to say things like this and not even mention , they forget the past because there past is tainted in blood , its OK now there a modern country but they forget how they became a modern country , through slavery and violence and death and robbery of there neighbouring countries and now the very races they enslaved are running Britain. There will never be a me ton for us cause all that was swept under the carpet . And they wonder Ireland still harbours so much hate towards certain parts of there society .
    Hate is too strong for me TBH and my family severely affected by Black and Tans /Economic War which destroyed us at the time and affects us in a way even now. But not up for a no worries mate attitude either. Own up , educate and stop being arrogant , money I very doubt. The attempt to stop prosecution in North of UK forces , I might be cynical but that to me is about compensation if found guilty
    Clubcard stop now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123