Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Environment and Climate Change

Reviews

There is climate change but how much it is man made is another thing . Governments and multinational companies are using it to make money from it . So called environmentalists and greens are also pushing for massive offshore windfarms what about the marine environment that these monstrosities will destroy . A whole eco system gone forever

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbpdick For This Useful Post:

ladiesman217 (13-01-23), Wolverine (16-01-23)

Reviews

It pisses me the foop off, because most people haven't a clue what they're fupping talking about when you hear them talking about climate change. Climate change is a natural phenomenon which has occurred many times in Earth's 4/5 billion year history, as it will continue to until the day the Earth essentially 'dies'. Now, we do influence things in a number of ways. I was reading recently how the Ozone layer has apparently fully healed - it was damaged due to a multitude of emissions problems such as CFCs in the.... 70's or 80's or even before them. Then there's us pumping more CO2 (carbon dioxide for those not familiar with empirical formulas) into the air, from cars/jets/etc - basically this is one of the main things those climate activists be harping on about. And yes it is a problem that needs to be resolved rather quickly. But here's the thing, everyone switching to electric cars for example isn't going to do diddly squat. More electric vehicles on the grid, the more of a demand on power generation there is. And what's the main source of power in Ireland? Petroleum based, I think accounts for like 45% or so of our energy production. So that's more burning of petroleum products! Then of course is the problem with batteries - the lithium mining isn't sustainable, and how is that mined? With petroleum fueled machines.

There was a breakthrough in fusion recently, which may be our saving grace though it's too early to tell. What astounds me though is why countries aren't looking into researching hydrogen energy more. Now there are problems with it, as it doesn't yield as much as other sources and there's problems with transport and storage. There is nuclear too, which is.... questionable to say the least. If contained properly, it's clean and has tremendous yield. And yet more and more countries are steering away from it? I dunno, it's complicated.

You know one thing I never hear being talked about in all these climate and environment debates or protests? Trees. I assume most people know the role trees play, but in case you don't: essentially, trees absorb CO2 and release oxygen (O2). Now that's a very basic and brief summary, but yeah it is just that really. Anyway, why am I talking about trees? It's estimated, that in the 200,000 years or so since Homo sapiens evolved (but especially so in the last 50k years or thereabouts), the global population of trees has been more than halved by us. Bearing in mind their role, I find it fascinating that nobody is talking about this. Essentially, trees only have half as much capability now of absorbing CO2, and still people think we have no affect on the environment?

Then there are other issues too, as mentioned by rbpdick's post above mine. At the end of the day, it's all a balancing act. But as ever, money makes the world go round and money dictates the course of action.
    Last edited by ladiesman217; 13-01-23 at 20:38.
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

AmorInfinito8 (16-01-23), IrishSarahBarra (16-01-23), rbpdick (13-01-23), Stephanie (16-01-23), Wolverine (16-01-23)

Reviews

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 9/11 moon landings were an outside job

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forceuser For This Useful Post:

ga1 (17-01-23), Stephanie (16-01-23), Wolverine (16-01-23)

Think of millions of farmers all over Asia and Africa who burn off the remains of crops each season or factory owners of all sizes pumping out pollution in the same regions. It's all about survival for the farmers and business for the factory owners in China, India etc. Little hope of change there.

Yet in Ireland soon we'll all be forced to change to electric cars (no thought if we can afford the change or not). Or the two save the world types I used to work with in an office, and nearly took heart attacks when I threw the wrong thing in the recycle bin one day or used to follow people around the office hoarding up starbucks coffee cup trays so they could be reused.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GoneShooting For This Useful Post:

rbpdick (16-01-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSarahBarra View Post
    We’ll be nuclear before you know it.
    We may as well be We are only a stones throw from nuclear plants in Britain and France

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    You know one thing I never hear being talked about in all these climate and environment debates or protests? Trees.
    isn't the rain forests usually a huge topic regarding enviroment and climate change?
    Last edited by Forceuser; 16-01-23 at 17:22.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eanna Ni Lamhna suggested that Earths human demise started when Neandrathals threw away their spears and developed Fire.
    Then Agriculture, technology, then money, then Greed were developed. With Money you buy complacency and security. (And perceived happiness)

It’s interesting how this question is posed “the Woke environmentalists want to take stuff from me”.
    - go and live in Ukraine or Pakistan where 32 villages were washed away over 2 days!
    “But Mom, they want to take my stuff!”

Environmentalism for the sake of humanity needs to be a thing, otherwise the next things are Survivalism and Existentialism.

If Age of Earth since the Big Bang is measured as a 24 Hr period; humanities existence on Earth would be only 1 Second.

We may destroy a lot of the Earth, but luckily prizes like the EarthShot and other radical entrepreneurs, societal and governmental will make a difference.

We may only have about 10 or so yrs to get it right.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macdragon76 For This Useful Post:

IrishSarahBarra (17-01-23), ladiesman217 (24-01-23)

Quote Originally Posted by Forceuser View Post
    isn't the rain forests usually a huge topic regarding enviroment and climate change?
    Maybe he can’t see the wood for the trees?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrumhalf9 For This Useful Post:

AmorInfinito8 (16-01-23), Forceuser (17-01-23)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumhalf9 View Post
    Maybe he can’t see the wood for the trees?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Forceuser View Post
    Interesting that you mention trees, Our FF FG G gov are prepping to sell massive tracts of public land to a GB investment Co in order to do tree planting on an industrial scale, wont do a damn thing to reduce carbon emmissions for 30 yrs.
    The deal could lock lots of local farmers from getting into forrestry. We need climate justice. not the privatisation of our land.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pigsmickey For This Useful Post:

ladiesman217 (24-01-23), Rooney2808 (17-01-23)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast