Thread: For Ber and Luther

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default For Ber and Luther

Straight from the horses mouth.A post i spotted from one of the best Amercian coaches at the moment.About sprinting.

I can't remember the response you are referring to; however, the motor and physiological structure of sprinting is specific to the distance covered, the athlete's speed potential, and the bioenergetic fitness level of the athlete.

Regarding the 100m event: this is my breakdown as it applies to most sub-10sec sprinters:

Start (0-10m)
    Acceleration 1 (10-30m)
    Acceleration 2 (30-50m)
    Maximum Velocity (50-70m)
    Speed Endurance (70-100m)

The start and acceleration 1 phases, from a motor standpoint, transition from starting/explosive abilities into the acceleration 2 and max V phases that require elastic/reactive abilities coupled with relaxation which is a unique ability unto itself.

The ability to accelerate, within the context of sprinting, is interesting because it differs from acceleration strength which by definition occurs right around the beginning of actual movement.

The race finalizes with the physiological environment during speed endurance that breaches the purely alactic zone that, depending on the bioenergetic fitness level of the athlete, may vary between alactic capacity and anaerobic-lactic power.

Not to be forgotten is the technical requirements necessary to maximize the motor potential.

Note to my fellow coaches of physical preparation, regardless if you are employed by professional, collegiate, or school age organizations, if you are not qualified to properly instruct sprint training to your field based athletes- you are doing them a great disservice.

It was mainly Bolts stride that makes him get better times and thats why he says Bolt needs to be analysed seperatly (in a seperate post he says Bolt needs to be analysed seperately to other sub 10 sec sprinters.)..No where in this post does it mention stride.However it mentions alot of the things i spoke about as far as accleration goes

Enjoy,
    Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 26-10-09 at 22:41. Reason: Left out one bit