Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamers

Default Gamers

I'm looking for something to scratch a particular itch.

Anyone have any suggestions for something to fill a 'Spec Ops : The Line' sized hole?

Reviews

I found the Sniper series quite good - liked the campaigns anyway. Or if looking for more of a 'run and gun' you can't beat the rebooted Doom games from the last few years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PhilPhilPhil For This Useful Post:

UnFulfilledScott (15-12-22)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilPhilPhil View Post
    I found the Sniper series quite good - liked the campaigns anyway. Or if looking for more of a 'run and gun' you can't beat the rebooted Doom games from the last few years.
    I've been a hardcore Doom fanatic ever since first playing it in the mid 90s. Doom 2016 floored me and Doom Eternal had me jizzin' and cryin'. The history reveals in Eternal were incredible.
    Never really got into the Sniper series, prefer close range FPS games. Run and gun as you call them.

'Spec Ops : The Line' is a different beast. There's a psychological element to the game revolving around some questionable decisions you have to make. The ending of the game changes depending on those decisions. It's the kind of game that rattles around in your head a long time after you've finished playing. That's what I'm looking. There's seems to be a dearth of this particular type of game in the FPS genre.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

Reviews

Iv never played it, but i do see it compared to metal gear and metro.

Honestly shooters rarely have a decent storyline so its slim pickings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bananabox999 For This Useful Post:

UnFulfilledScott (21-12-22)

7. Default

Operation wolf. Great game from the 80's. had an uzi on the arcade machine. Great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorVonDoomCock View Post
    Operation wolf. Great game from the 80's. had an uzi on the arcade machine. Great fun.
    Stay off my threads, MrNiceGuy.

Quote Originally Posted by UnFulfilledScott View Post
    I'm looking for something to scratch a particular itch.

Anyone have any suggestions for something to fill a 'Spec Ops : The Line' sized hole?
    That's a tough itch to scratch, it may not be a totally unique game in terms of gameplay, but something that no-other game since then has yet to touch the themes & topics that game has.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiloOscar For This Useful Post:

LonelyScotsman (28-12-22), UnFulfilledScott (21-12-22)

Far Cry 3 has a great story with gameplay that enhances the themes the story explores. Not too long either at about 20 hours to beat unlike the newer ones like 5 and 6. They're great too though as well as 4, I'm a Far Cry fanboy, they're some of my favourite games.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to colwrites For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KiloOscar View Post
    That's a tough itch to scratch, it may not be a totally unique game in terms of gameplay, but something that no-other game since then has yet to touch the themes & topics that game has.

Exactly.
    There's a lot to be said about how dated and borrowed some of the game mechanics were - even when it was released - but there's no question the game experience itself was just totally something uniquely its own. Unfortunately it seems

A few people here have mentioned games with episodic intervals of somewhat similar scenarios ( Metal Gear, Metro, FarCry ). All great games in their own right but none of them have that sustained sense of building dread nor that constant sense of questioning your own actions not that general air that nothing is sitting right and you're 'in' deeper than you can comprehend .

That game tore at the heart of me and I want more.

Reviews

Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat?

"Get over here!"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockerman For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast