Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: How Ireland Works

Reviews

https://www.thephoenix.ie/article/ma...nary-evidence/
    MALCOLM BYRNE’S “EXTRAORDINARY” EVIDENCE

Date: July 27, 2023 - Affairs of the Nation

THE IMPROPER sacking of Aodhagán Ó Súird as principal of Wexford primary school Gaelscoil Moshíológ has generated plenty of headlines given the 11 years it took for the matter to be finalised in the Four Courts earlier this month.
    Goldhawk, however, feels that the starring role played by Fianna Fáil senator Malcolm Byrne has not got the credit it deserves.
    Fans of The Phoenix will be familiar with the long-running saga over Ó Súird’s dismissal (see The Phoenix 1/7/22).
    The move led to outings in both the Workplace Relations Commission and, following an appeal from the school, the Labour Court, with both bodies coming down strongly in favour of the hapless principal.
    Indeed, the Labour Court even referred to an “animus against Mr Ó Súird by the board”. The matter then ended up in the High Court as a result of yet another appeal.

In the High Court, Judge Brian Cregan was withering in his criticism of Melanie Ní Dhuinn, and the school board of management that she chaired, in which Malcolm Byrne was, significantly, acting chair during much of the school’s relentless pursuit of Ó Súird, during which the principal was represented by legal eagle Robert Dore.
    The FF senator also chaired the board’s disciplinary panel, which played a central role in the whole debacle, carrying out a hearing over a number of days.
    At the heart of the story is the fact that in Ó Súird was initially accused of a “minor incident” in the classroom but then found himself on the end of a significantly widened investigation, accused of inflating pupil numbers in the school unbeknownst to the board of management (which was not the case), in order to boost his own income as a result. In fact, his pay was never increased as a result of this matter.
    A final comprehensive report on these allegations was never prepared by Ní Dhuinn, leaving the allegations to “hang in the air”, according to Cregan, and putting Ó Súird “in the Kafkaesque position of being unable to defend himself”.
    Most significantly, “there was no evidence of fraud” and no finding of fraud was ever actually made.
    The allegations were eventually withdrawn years later.

Cregan highlights that “an important figure” in the whole sorry saga was Malcolm Byrne, who signed the 2015 letter officially sacking Ó Súird, in which he referred to “the deliberate falsification of documents”.
    At that time, Byrne had been acting chair of the board of management as Ní Dhuinn was acting in the role of ‘prosecutor’. In relation to incorrect allegation of fraudulent behaviour, Cregan noted the “abysmal failure… by the board of management and the board of management disciplinary panel” (chaired by Byrne).

Moreover, although neither the school’s disciplinary panel nor the disciplinary appeal panel made an actual finding of fraud against Ó Súird, Byrne told the Labour Court that the principal had been dismissed “as a consequence of the fraud he had committed”. Cregan described this evidence as “most improper”.
    According to the judge, Byrne’s interpretation of the evidence presented to the disciplinary panel was “utterly wrong”.
    The judge noted that the Labour Court did not accept Byrne’s evidence and “it was right to do so”.
    In fact, Cregan found that the FFer’s evidence to the Labour Court was “simply extraordinary”.

Maybe Malcolm should concentrate on his Seanad duties.
    Last edited by joggon; 07-08-23 at 23:56.
    Other opinions are allowed
    Age doesn't equal maturity - just look around !
    Unhappy ? press ignore user in settings

Reviews

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/.../35076323.html
    Former TD 'was told cousin abused boys but he said nothing'

Victims of paedophile Bill Kenneally demand inquiry into who knew what about the abuse

A former Fianna Fail Minister has said he was told his cousin was a sex abuser in 2002 - but he didn't report the matter to gardai.
    ]Brendan Kenneally was a TD in Waterford and served as Minister of State in the early 1990s. His first cousin, sports coach and accountant Bill Kenneally (66), was sentenced last February to 14 years for the horrific abuse of young teenage boys in the 1980s in Waterford.

Victims of the paedophile are to take legal action against the State, Garda and the Health Service Executive; they want the Minister for Justice to set up a Commission of Inquiry into who knew what about Bill Kenneally.
    A new victim has come forward saying he told gardai about his abuse in 1985, two years before Waterford gardai claim they first knew.
    Former South Eastern Health Board officials say they didn't know about Kenneally - even though at least two victims had counselling through the health board.
    The victims also want the role of Fianna Fail and the Catholic Church investigated.
    The mother of one victim says former TD Brendan Kenneally (a cousin of the paedophile) was told in 2002 that her son was being abused.
    "He said to leave it with him and he would get the Monsignor to deal with it," she says.
    The former TD says that contrary to what people might think, he wasn't aware of his cousin being an abuser in the 1970s, '80s or '90s.
    Bill Kenneally is currently appealing his sentence of 14 years. He pleaded guilty to 10 sample charges of abusing 10 boys in the 1980s.
    Kenneally preyed on young teenage boys in and around Waterford city and used sport and basketball to groom them before carrying out horrific abuse. Five of the 10 boys, now in their 40s, waived anonymity in February for an RTE Prime Time programme so they could outline the litany of abuse and how their lives changed forever.

Former South Eastern Health Board officials say they didn't know about Kenneally - even though at least two victims had counselling through the health board
    The victims also want the role of Fianna Fail and the Catholic Church investigated.
    The mother of one victim says former TD Brendan Kenneally (a cousin of the paedophile) was told in 2002 that her son was being abused.
    "He said to leave it with him and he would get the Monsignor to deal with it," she says.
    The former TD says that contrary to what people might think, he wasn't aware of his cousin being an abuser in the 1970s, '80s or '90s.
    "The first time I became aware of it was in early 2002 when someone very close to a victim told me," said Brendan Kenneally. "I was shocked and blown away by it and nearly fell off the chair. I made sure certain things were done and I got him assessed medically, which found he wasn't still offending."
    When asked did he talk to gardai about it, Brendan Kenneally says he didn't, as the victim said he didn't want to go further with it. And regarding the Monsignor, he said: "Yes, I spoke with him about it."
    Monsignor John Shine said he didn't know in the past about his nephew Bill Kenneally being an abuser.[
    Last week, another victim spoke for the first time about how he was groomed by Bill Kenneally in 1984 and 1985 when he used to play football in a local park in the city with a group of friends.
    "Like others, he gained my trust by giving me money over a period of time to buy things for myself and a match programme from my favourite English football team," said John (not his real name).
    "Then one day near the end of my Junior Cert exams he saw me walking and asked me to get into his car. Nothing had happened to me before that day but he took me to an isolated area and abused me.
    I
    was shocked and terrified and didn't know what to do or who to tell.
    [
    Gardai in Waterford claim they knew nothing about Kenneally and his abuse until 1987, when the fathers of two boys contacted them to say the basketball coach had abused their sons. Gardai claim the fathers didn't want the boys to make statements and asked the perpetrator to come to the station.
    [COLOR=var(--color-primary-80)]In late December he did and was interviewed by then Superintendent Sean Cashman and Inspector PJ Hayes. He admitted abuse and said he would stop.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=var(--color-primary-80)]"When he walked into the station he was a broken man," says Cashman. "He said 'I know why I'm here lads, and I'm glad to be here, because I want to be looked after', or words to that effect."
    I interviewed Sean Cashman about that meeting: "You had a man in the station, albeit not under arrest, admitting he had been involved in abusing children?
    "And yet you let him out of the station with a slap on the wrist?"
    "I wanted to tell someone but felt I couldn't tell my parents or a relation. So I went to the garda station and said I wanted to make a complaint and told the garda that I had been sexually abused. He took me aside from the front counter and asked me who it was. When I said the name 'Bill Kenneally' his demeanour changed as if he wanted me gone. He asked how old I was and when I said I was 14 just going on 15 he said I would need an adult to make a statement.
    Last edited by joggon; 19-09-23 at 00:22.

Reviews

"Hetold me to come back. I left the station but couldn't tell any otheradult and I just kept it to myself.
    "Itchanged me. I became withdrawn into myself, gave up sports andstopped trusting people. I was unable to apply myself sufficiently atschool but did manage to go to college.
    "Istayed away from Kenneally but I never heard anything from the guardsafterwards. When I heard that Kenneally was up in court for abusingboys, I cried."
    Gardaiin Waterford claim they knew nothing about Kenneally and his abuseuntil 1987, when the fathers of two boys contacted them to say thebasketball coach had abused their sons. Gardai claim the fathersdidn't want the boys to make statements and asked the perpetrator tocome to the station.
    Inlate December he did and was interviewed by then Superintendent SeanCashman and Inspector PJ Hayes. He admitted abuse and said he wouldstop.
    "Whenhe walked into the station he was a broken man," says Cashman."He said 'I know why I'm here lads, and I'm glad to be here,because I want to be looked after', or words to that effect."
    Iinterviewed Sean Cashman about that meeting: "You had a man inthe station, albeit not under arrest, admitting he had been involvedin abusing children?
    "Andyet you let him out of the station with a slap on the wrist?"
    Cashmanreplied: "Oh, he didn't get even a slap, no slaps wereadministered at all. It was a professional approach as far as I wasconcerned. We did not have evidence to charge him."
    "Buthe admitted it."
    "Ahhh,he admits it. I've known a case where a man came into the station andadmitted murder that he hadn't done. He did admit it, but I have tosay, I knew he was the culprit, it wasn't a question of hisimagination running away, I knew he was the culprit. But I didn'thave a statement from an injured party."
    Kenneallywas never arrested until 2012, when survivor Jason Clancy found outKenneally was still involved in basketball.
    Jasonwent to gardai, who initiated a train of events which would lead toKenneally being being sentenced to 14 years in jail.
    Now,victims have been told a video tape was found when gardai raidedKenneally's house in 2012. It allegedly shows Kenneally engaging in asexual act with a minor.

"Webelieve this is crucial," says Jason, "as the existence ofthis video can tell us a lot about if Kenneally abused after 1988 andtherefore if the gardai did not stop the abuse."
    Belfast-basedhuman rights lawyer Darragh Mackin met victims last week and iswriting to the Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald seeking anurgent meeting, calling for an inquiry.
    Heis also calling for Monsignor Shine to step down as chairperson ofthe Board of Management of Holy Cross School National School inTramore.
    DamienTiernan is South East Correspondent for RTE

Who's whoin the Bill Kenneally sex abuse scandal

BillKenneally (66): Accountant; former local and Irish basketballcoach; Fianna Fail tallyman; nephew of the late Billy Kenneally(former Fianna Fail TD); first cousin of Brendan Kenneally. Bill Kenneally pleaded guilty in December 2015 to 10 sample chargesof sexual abuse, one each for 10 boys he assaulted in the 1980s. InFebruary 2016, he was sentenced to 14 years and two months in prison.
    BrendanKenneally (61): Son of Billy Kenneally and first cousin of convictedpaedophile Bill Kenneally. Elected to the Dail in 1989; lost seat in2002; appointed Senator by An Taoiseach; regained his Dail seat in2007; appointed Minister of State for Tourism, Transport andCommunications in 1992; Director of Elections in the 2016 generalelection for Mary Butler in the Waterford constituency.
    MonsignorJohn Shine: Parish of Tramore; Uncle of convicted paedophile BillKenneally (Bill Kenneally's mother and Monsignor Shine are brotherand sister).
    SuperintendentSean Cashman: Personally dealt with the complaints against BillKenneally; interviewed him in December 1987 but never arrested him.Retired in 1995. Lives in Waterford.
    InspectorP.J. Hayes : Along with Sean Cashman, he dealt with the complaintsagainst Bill Kenneally and says he has been "best friends withMonsignor Shine for over 40 years". Lives in Tramore.

Reviews

Good example of how Ireland does work. Everyone knows everyone [and is probably related to everyone].
    Do whatever you like and your mates [and relatives] will see you right.

Reviews

Donegal property worth €10M has been sold to the brother of the original developer for €265,000
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2023/09...65000-by-nama/
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41236189.html

The head of Nama has admitted the sale of a “rat-infested” Donegal property subject to loans of €10.3m for just €265,000 is “shocking”, but insisted the agency had had no alternative.The sale of the property, which consists of 14 occupied residential units and 28 unoccupied ones on a 21 hectare site, to a company owned by the brother of the original debtor, was raised by State’s accountant the Comptroller and Auditor General in his 2021 report on Nama's progress, saying what had transpired was “so exceptional” it merited mention.

Reviews

Green Party Partying away like its their last chance in government (it is)

Reviews

John Downing was a press officer for Eamonn Ryan , the GP conference is on currently

Reviews

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/iris...ician-31269635
    Former high profile Irish politician facing possible jail time over alleged drug driving

The Irish Mirror has confirmed that the man is due to appear in court in the west of Ireland early next year – charged with one count of drug driving

A former high profile TD is facing a fine and the possibility of jail time – for alleged drug driving, it has emerged.
    The Irish Mirror has confirmed that the man is due to appear in court in the west of Ireland early next year – charged with one count of drug driving.
    Sources have told us that it will be alleged in court that he was over the legal threshold for cocaine when stopped by gardai in the west of Ireland earlier this year.

The legal threshold is some 10 Nanograms per millilitre of blood – but sources have told us the ex-politician’s reading was 10 times that.
    He is now to appear in court in January. The penalty for driving under the influence of drugs is a 12-month road ban, a fine of up to €5,000 – and a maximum of six months in prison

The man was arrested following a roadside drugs test in the west of the country in June.
    Sources have told us that the man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, failed an oral swab test – that indicated there was cocaine in his system.
    He was then arrested and taken to a nearby garda station, where a more sensitive blood test was taken from him.
    The car he was driving when he was stopped in a town in Connacht at around 1pm on June 12 had no NCT or tax.
    Sources say that test was sent to the Medical Bureau for Road Safety in south Dublin – where all such samples are analysed. It then came back positive and gardai began the process of charging the man.
    There had been fears that the drugs in the ex-TD’s system may have dissipated in the time that elapsed between him failing the roadside swab and being brought to a Garda station for a full test.
    A source told us: “It is not uncommon for someone to fail the oral swab at the roadside but the main test comes back negative and the person is in the clear.
    “It does happen. Sometimes the traces of cocaine in the body’s system can go by the time they are brought to the station and tested there.
    But sources have now confirmed the man failed the Garda station test – and will be appearing in court.

Reviews

How many more advisors do they need ?
    Seven months after Micheal Martin appointed ex-Sunday Times journo, Sharon McGowan as an €105k-average advisor, Leo Varadkar approves the appointment and the notice is published 01/11/23
    She's tasty though ......
    Last edited by joggon; 02-11-23 at 01:01.

Reviews

Former Fine Gael politician charged in €2.6m money-laundering case

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...661067394.html
    Frank Kilbride.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112