Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doug Beattie tells LCC ‘days of men and women being sent to fill jail cells and early

Reviews

Default Doug Beattie tells LCC ‘days of men and women being sent to fill jail cells and early

about time this was said
    Doug Beattie tells LCC ‘days of men and women being sent to fill jail cells and early graves should be over’
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-42103668.html
    UUP leader Doug Beattie has vowed to resist anyone who seeks to take Northern Ireland backwards following a sinister threat from loyalists.
    It comes after loyalist groups warned of “dire consequences” if there was no movement on the Northern Ireland Protocol in a letter that indicated support for the paramilitary ceasefires may be waning.
    Mr Beattie revealed he read the letter, which was shared via the Loyalist Communities Council (LCC), with the feeling that a particular section of unionism is “condemned to repeat the mistakes of the past”.
    The LCC is an umbrella group which represents the views of paramilitary gangs including the UVF and the UDA.
    Mr Beattie said his party “totally rejects any notion of moving back to pre-ceasefire days and will resist anyone who seeks to take us back there”.

“The days of men and women being sent to fill jail cells or early graves in this country should be over,” he added.
    “Peace and political process are the only way to advance our argument, be in no doubt of that.”

The letter also carried a clear warning that Irish Government ministers should not visit NI.
    “As the threat of an election looms, we feel it important to re-iterate our view that there can be no weakening or ‘backsliding’ on the clear and unambiguous commitments made to our community by political unionism in relation to the protocol, and its impact upon the political and peace process,” it stated.
    Mr Beattie responded to the authors directly on Friday.
    “Quite simply it is the words of unionism in retreat, not the confident presentation of our argument which will win out on the protocol,” he said.
    “It is the school of thought which sees unionism return to the table in a weaker position each time.”
    The Upper Bann MLA said his party has been “unequivocal” in its opposition to the protocol since it was proposed to the EU by former Prime Minister Boris Johnson in October 2019.
    He reminded the LCC that he opposed “playing Russian roulette with the future of the United Kingdom” while the DUP was busy “playing catch up after realising the folly” of the arrangements they initially welcomed.
    Mr Beattie accused the DUP of creating a “mess” over Brexit and then “trying to make others the fall guys for their mistakes”.
    “If the LCC would like to acknowledge who or what is to blame for Sinn Fein holding the post of First Minister then they should look no further than the DUP’s negotiating prowess at St Andrew’s,” he added.
    “That unionism should be the majority designation in the Assembly, but not fill the office of First Minister is a failure they have to explain.”
    Earlier this year, the LCC told the UUP to “act like unionists” and decide “if it actually opposes the protocol” or not.
    Following their latest run in, Mr Beattie promised he will continue to engage with the British Government, the Irish Government, the European Union and the US State Department to make the case against the protocol.
    He cited proposals being adopted into the UK Government’s command paper, the EU coming back to the negotiating table and a change in position from Sinn Fein, SDLP and Alliance as evidence his approach is working.

Last edited by joggon; 28-10-22 at 22:24.
    Other opinions are allowed
    Age doesn't equal maturity - just look around !
    Unhappy ? press ignore user in settings

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joggon For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (31-10-22)

The questions Doug Beattie isn't asking are more interesting than his statements..
    Why are these proscribed organisations (UDA, UVF) seemingly free to carry on in "business"?
    Why are the DUP and TUV appearently consulting with them on policy?
    Why are the DUP & TUV allowed to keep repeating the mantra of "but, but, but IRA" and "Irish Govt." in relation to the Protocol instead of being called out on the fact that they themselves championed it and voted for it?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonybgood For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (31-10-22), joggon (31-10-22)

Reviews

Feelings amongst the PUL community are very angry and raw at the moment. On one hand Unionists feel betrayed by the UK Gov. and they were. On the other hand there is a lot of fear about the prospect of a unified Ireland. Rightly, or wrongly people are afraid of the unknown and change. Many Unionists are afraid of an "All Ireland" and if they would they have a place in this new state. They are afraid of losing things like the NHS, welfare, and access to Jobs that require being able to speak the Irish language.

There is still a lot of bitterness on both sides of our community who all share the island of Ireland. There is still a lot of hurt on both sides, from people who can still remember a 30 year conflict. Over the years I met many people who lost during "The Troubles". Both sides story of loss mirrored each other: the loss of loved ones, the loss freedom for all who were convicted, the loss of mental heath and the families of the lost (The disappeared). It was hard to meet the widow of a man shot by Michael Stone and the UFF, or talk to a brother of a policeman who was shot by the IRA. I commend the UUP and Beattie for calling for peace. To be honest I would have liked to see more healing and progress made in the last 20 years, but SF and the DUP both squandered the chance for real peace made at the signing of the "Belfast Agreement".

All terrorists are evil, none are heros or volunteers, but instead psychopathic killers who sucked the life out of the very communities they claimed to protect. All terrorist's ruled by fear. To quote Jerry Adams "We're haven't gone away you know". Statements like this will never build peace, or trust among Unionists.

Unionists didn't ask to be born in Ireland, they are here as the result of events that took place during early modern history, but they are here now and have nowhere to go. Out a sense of fear and seige they may have even done many terrible things in the past. Protestants in Ulster were terrorised by the high number of people, women and children who were slaughtered by the Confederate Irish in 1641. Many were piked and slashed to death, while others were driven naked, into the bogs and mountains to starve to death. Protestants never got over this event and it shaped their thinking for the next hundreds of years.

People like Beattie Who have saw and experienced war at first-hand are slower to embrace violence than those saber rattlers who have not and I commend him. The reality is that for the PUL and everyone in NI who who just wants to place an order online, rely on some certain medicines and who want to shop in supermarkets without empty shelves, the the NI Protocol presents problems for life in NI. The UK Gov. doesn't care about NI all it wanted was out of the UK. The Irish Gov. and the EU don't really care for NI either. We are like a Bastard child that no one wants. Try to understand what it is like to be unwanted by everyone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joelegs For This Useful Post:

IDF2 (02-11-22)

Reviews

all one big smokescreen for the fact that they can not accept a catholic as first minister .
    12500 loyalists ( narco terrorists ) who have rearmed themselves ( if they ever really decommissioned) never mentioned
    Last edited by joggon; 31-10-22 at 21:51.

Reviews

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Joelegs View Post
    Feelings amongst the PUL community are very angry and raw at the moment. On one hand Unionists feel betrayed by the UK Gov. and they were. On the other hand there is a lot of fear about the prospect of a unified Ireland. Rightly, or wrongly people are afraid of the unknown and change. Many Unionists are afraid of an "All Ireland" and if they would they have a place in this new state. They are afraid of losing things like the NHS, welfare, and access to Jobs that require being able to speak the Irish language.

There is still a lot of bitterness on both sides of our community who all share the island of Ireland. There is still a lot of hurt on both sides, from people who can still remember a 30 year conflict. Over the years I met many people who lost during "The Troubles". Both sides story of loss mirrored each other: the loss of loved ones, the loss freedom for all who were convicted, the loss of mental heath and the families of the lost (The disappeared). It was hard to meet the widow of a man shot by Michael Stone and the UFF, or talk to a brother of a policeman who was shot by the IRA. I commend the UUP and Beattie for calling for peace. To be honest I would have liked to see more healing and progress made in the last 20 years, but SF and the DUP both squandered the chance for real peace made at the signing of the "Belfast Agreement".

All terrorists are evil, none are heros or volunteers, but instead psychopathic killers who sucked the life out of the very communities they claimed to protect. All terrorist's ruled by fear. To quote Jerry Adams "We're haven't gone away you know". Statements like this will never build peace, or trust among Unionists.

Unionists didn't ask to be born in Ireland, they are here as the result of events that took place during early modern history, but they are here now and have nowhere to go. Out a sense of fear and seige they may have even done many terrible things in the past. Protestants in Ulster were terrorised by the high number of people, women and children who were slaughtered by the Confederate Irish in 1641. Many were piked and slashed to death, while others were driven naked, into the bogs and mountains to starve to death. Protestants never got over this event and it shaped their thinking for the next hundreds of years.

People like Beattie Who have saw and experienced war at first-hand are slower to embrace violence than those saber rattlers who have not and I commend him. The reality is that for the PUL and everyone in NI who who just wants to place an order online, rely on some certain medicines and who want to shop in supermarkets without empty shelves, the the NI Protocol presents problems for life in NI. The UK Gov. doesn't care about NI all it wanted was out of the UK. The Irish Gov. and the EU don't really care for NI either. We are like a Bastard child that no one wants. Try to understand what it is like to be unwanted by everyone.
    Ach Joe Joe Joe! 1641? Are you talking about the likes of the Portadown massacre? What did the Crown forces do in retaliation? They murdered tens of thousands of Irish Catholics in retaliation.

"To Hell or Connacht " was Cromwell's message to the native Irish.

But that is history.

We don't live in the past like the Orange Order do.

We live for the future.

Partition was a major blunder on this island.

How many of the United Irishmen were Presbyterian?

Maybe they should embrace that part of their history.

As for being bitter? As a nationalist and a republican I should have many reasons to be bitter.

But I don't. What's done is done and what's won is won.

And like Phil Coulter I can only pray for a bright brand new day on this island I love so well.
    Hello darkness my old friend.....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barney Rubble For This Useful Post:

IDF2 (31-10-22), joggon (31-10-22)

Reviews

education for the member from a neighbouring island
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ict/civil.html
    The 1968 Civil Rights Movement
    (remainder on link provided above )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to joggon For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (31-10-22)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Ach Joe Joe Joe! 1641? Are you talking about the likes of the Portadown massacre? What did the Crown forces do in retaliation? They murdered tens of thousands of Irish Catholics in retaliation.

"To Hell or Connacht " was Cromwell's message to the native Irish.

But that is history.

We don't live in the past like the Orange Order do.

We live for the future.

Partition was a major blunder on this island.

How many of the United Irishmen were Presbyterian?

Maybe they should embrace that part of their history.

As for being bitter? As a nationalist and a republican I should have many reasons to be bitter.

But I don't. What's done is done and what's won is won.

And like Phil Coulter I can only pray for a bright brand new day on this island I love so well.
    Wolfe Tone was a legend.

The father of republicanism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_Tone

My family visit his grave every year.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IDF2 For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (31-10-22)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by IDF2 View Post
    Wolfe Tone was a legend.

The father of republicanism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_Tone

My family visit his grave every year.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Joelegs View Post

And Joe as for the protocol I have yet to see any empty shelves in the shops or supermarkets up here.

Yeah maybe there was no bog roll at the start of Covid.

But the North is in a unique position in Europe. Here businesses have a free trade agreement to export to the EU and the UK.

The vast majority of businesses up here say that this has been a bonus to them.

Yes there may be problems getting some goods from GB but on the whole it's a minor problem in the bigger picture.

The DUP say they won't take their seats in Stormont because of the Protocol.

The truth is that they won't accept a SF First Minister.

100 years ago when this island was partitioned Craig stated that this was A Protestant Parliament for a Protestant People.

Well times have changed. Catholics are now the largest religion in the North.

The DUP are like dinosaurs. Well apart from those who say the world is only 10,000 years old and the teaching of evolution is against the word of God. They are fossils.

People like David Irvine knew that the future involved all inclusiveness despite his loyalist background.

After his death his wife carried on his message and has set up Irish language schools in loyalist areas of Belfast.

We have a shared history. The good , the bad and the ugly

But more importantly we have a shared future.

The sooner we can move forward together the better for everyone.
    Last edited by Barney Rubble; 31-10-22 at 23:29.
    Hello darkness my old friend.....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast