Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is behind the Irish fascination with British Soccer Teams

Default What is behind the Irish fascination with British Soccer Teams

I dont know-normally I couldnt care less about this topic,

but something riles me thinking of Irish people getting upset this evening at Liverpool losing the soccer final,

At the end of the day I am an Irish Nationalist, I want the British to FO out of the North and I am not going to be eulogising, celebrating, or sympathising to British culture in any way,

but we will have Irish people 26 counties nationwide as this very minute drowning their sorrows in their pints disecting Liverpool's defeat,

Why do they do this - at the end of the day this is a British soccer team- and paradoxically the same people will actually cheer against the english national team (fair enough), but why then support their clubs.

so what is the mentality behind it all?
    A dangerous weakness of mine- "an attraction for fast women and slow horses"

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TheFalcon View Post

but something riles me thinking of Irish people getting upset this evening at Liverpool losing the soccer final,

At the end of the day I am an Irish Nationalist, I want the British to FO out of the North and I am not going to be eulogising, celebrating, or sympathising to British culture in any way,

but we will have Irish people 26 counties nationwide as this very minute drowning their sorrows in their pints disecting Liverpool's defeat,

Why do they do this - at the end of the day this is a British soccer team- and paradoxically the same people will actually cheer against the english national team (fair enough), but why then support their clubs.

At the end of the day its a load of Balls.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bmw528 For This Useful Post:

TheFalcon (29-05-22)

Reviews

Irish football is shite...not professional. All the best Irish players went to England. Johnny Carey went to Manchester United way back...a great player of the forties...Liam Whelan in the fifties, Best in the sixties, McIlroy in the seventies. Manchester United and Liverpool both have a huge Irish background. Sport like music breaks down barriers. I hate the British government and Royal family...I am a staunch republican, but football is different. Celtic for example is an Irish club. James Connolly was born in the Irish part of Edinburgh to Irish parents.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockerman For This Useful Post:

176x (29-05-22), joggon (28-05-22), TheFalcon (29-05-22)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerman View Post
    Irish football is shite...not professional. All the best Irish players went to England. Johnny Carey went to Manchester United way back...a great player of the forties...Liam Whelan in the fifties, Best in the sixties, McIlroy in the seventies. Manchester United and Liverpool both have a huge Irish background. Sport like music breaks down barriers. I hate the British government and Royal family...I am a staunch republican, but football is different. Celtic for example is an Irish club. James Connolly was born in the Irish part of Edinburgh to Irish parents.
    Well her Majesty would say to you. WE ARE NOT AMUSED.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bmw528 For This Useful Post:

Rockerman (29-05-22)

8. Default

Not sure what you can’t understand - it’s simple. In the same way people in China will be watching European soccer or people here in Ireland will be watching American football it’s because they like it and have an interest in it. I’m sure there are people who can’t understand why you visit a website like this in the hope of getting laid - Each to their own eh?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rogermoore69 For This Useful Post:

176x (29-05-22), bmw528 (29-05-22), specsaver (02-06-22), TheFalcon (29-05-22), TonyStark (30-05-22)

In a nutshell! 😀

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rogermoore69 View Post
    Not sure what you can’t understand - it’s simple. In the same way people in China will be watching European soccer or people here in Ireland will be watching American football it’s because they like it and have an interest in it. I’m sure there are people who can’t understand why you visit a website like this in the hope of getting laid - Each to their own eh?
    Haha 😂 love it
    Although I also would like more people to go to league of Ireland games ,I support my local team and we are crap but I still support them

Reviews

[
    In reality, there are not too many British soccer teams in the premiership. They are limited companies that own a football team (mainly foreign owned although that make no difference) that provide entertainment and an ‘experience’ through what could loosely be called a sporting environment. It is just that the premiership is located in England with the exception of Germany which have a different ownership structure I think it is pretty much the same all over europe

QUOTE=TheFalcon;2661663]I dont know-normally I couldnt care less about this topic,

so what is the mentality behind it all?[/QUOTE]

Reviews

If you're riled its coz you have an inferiority complex, try talking to someone
    No two way's about it, I am the best looking punter in Ireland.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 176x For This Useful Post:

TonyStark (30-05-22)

Reviews

Never understood this fascination with English clubs myself. I doubt if many Liverpool natives will be cheering for Cork or Kilkenny?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to philipkntz For This Useful Post:

TheFalcon (29-05-22)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast