Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is sex considered a taboo/private topic in society?

1. Default Why is sex considered a taboo/private topic in society?

Western society is way more sexually liberated than in the past and still moreso than many cultures today but there's a taboo discussing sex with family/friends/coworkers etc... Many people even feel uncomfortable watching sex scenes in movies.

Is this all taught to as from an early age or is it ingrained in us as humans?
    Last edited by greylatex; 28-03-22 at 22:19.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to greylatex For This Useful Post:

Mrbean76 (28-03-22)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by greylatex View Post
    Western society is way more sexually liberated than in the past and still moreso than many cultures today but there's a taboo discussing sex with family/friends/coworkers etc... Many people even feel uncomfortable watching sex scenes in movies.

Other European countries are far more open than Ireland as a whole concerning all things sexual, the Catholic Church is to blame.
    We have two lives , the second begins when we realise we only have one .....

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrbean76 For This Useful Post:

bollocks (31-03-22), Rockerman (29-03-22), rockonallnite (29-03-22), SteveB (29-03-22)

Reviews

Lust, a deadly sin:

"Dante defined lust as the disordered love for individuals.*It is generally thought to be the least serious capital sin, as it is an abuse of a faculty that humans share with animals and sins of the flesh are less grievous than spiritual sins".

6. The Following User Says Thank You to huntingdon For This Useful Post:

bollocks (31-03-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbean76 View Post
    Other European countries are far more open than Ireland as a whole concerning all things sexual, the Catholic Church is to blame.
    The Poles and Spaniards have always been a much more liberal bunch than the Irish when it comes to matters of sex.
    I'd be interested to see how your theory of blaming the Church excuses this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UnFulfilledScott For This Useful Post:

Banger (02-04-22)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by UnFulfilledScott View Post
    The Poles and Spaniards have always been a much more liberal bunch than the Irish when it comes to matters of sex.
    I'd be interested to see how your theory of blaming the Church excuses this.
    I'm Irish, I don't know anything about the Catholic Church in Poland or Portugal.

It's beyond my comprehension how anyone can defend the Church in Ireland.
    We have two lives , the second begins when we realise we only have one .....

Blog Entries
    Reviews

it was certainly ingrained in the people of Ireland for decades

Blog Entries
    Reviews

what decade was this then?
    all we do today on whatsapp is talk about sex,or is my mobile very horny
    a thousand kisses deep..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ric Hardgear For This Useful Post:

EdwardElizabethHitler (02-04-22)

Reviews

I'm Irish, I don't know anything about the Catholic Church in Poland or Portugal.

Can't imagine anyone here defending the CC. Oh, and don't forget to tick the "No Religion" box on Census night.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pigsmickey For This Useful Post:

Mrbean76 (30-03-22)

I'm Irish too.
    Generally when I make a sweeping statement like 'the Catholic Church is to blame' I'll have a battery of facts and stats to support the claim.
    Poland is more Catholic than Ireland.
    Spain is the same.

Me questioning your unsupported assertions is not the same thing as me supporting the ... 'Church of Ireland'?
    Last edited by UnFulfilledScott; 30-03-22 at 22:30. Reason: No idea why you dragged Portugal into the conversation either.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to UnFulfilledScott For This Useful Post:

Banger (02-04-22)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by UnFulfilledScott View Post
    I'm Irish too.
    Generally when I make a sweeping statement like 'the Catholic Church is to blame' I'll have a battery of facts and stats to support the claim.
    Poland is more Catholic than Ireland.
    Spain is the same.

Me questioning your unsupported assertions is not the same thing as me supporting the ... 'Church of Ireland'?
    Did you intend to refer to the 'Church of Ireland' which is protestant, or the Catholic Church?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast