Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What customs and things do you find strange in Ireland?

Reviews

I study early modern history and researching faries at the moment in connection with witchcraft trials. Stephanie may l please ask you what county you are from and do they have a verson of faries where you come from?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Joelegs View Post
    I study early modern history and researching faries at the moment in connection with witchcraft trials. Stephanie may l please ask you what county you are from and do they have a verson of faries where you come from?
    Hi Joe .

The only version of fairies we would have is in little kids’ tales ;

or would’ve been a derogatory term in the past for effeminate gay men .

Afraid no other fairies

: had the Salem Witch Trials …
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Did you hear the one about the fairy's bush?

That changed a motorway? We are a bit different so we are

"Never shift a fairy bush"

https://www.thejournal.ie/fairy-bush...04485-Apr2019/
    Last edited by Larrii; 05-11-21 at 22:20.
    Mmmm-hmm

Reviews

I study British witchcraf trials, I'm not into the occult, just History. 4000 people were burned in Scotland, 500 hung in England and there are no records of excutions in Ireland. That is not to say they did not hanppen in Ireland, just the records were lost during the Easter Rising, when the law courts were burned. A woman was burned by a mob in Antrim for bewitching a child. She was set free by the court only to be murdered by her community.

Salmem was tame compaired to Britian, but is very well documented and so everyone know about it.

Faires in Ireland and Scotland were not the kind found at the bottom of your garden. These were evil beings who lived under the ground in "shee's" and stole children. They were shape shifters and attacked animals and people.

The "Banshee" was thought to be the queen of witches in Scotland. She lured young men to have sex with them and then kill them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joelegs For This Useful Post:

Super ModeratorTheNightShift (06-11-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Love Irish stew !! Yumm.

KClub had a really good version of it some time back / pre-Covid 🥘 !

Brill : sit out on the terrace overlooking the manicured expanse of lawn , hopefully not many around .

Awesome moments 😎 x
    Pales when compared to atin a hang sangwich out of the boot of the car, washed down with a mug a tay along the Kilinan road outta Thurles after a Munster Final. And the Cork lads bet.

where did this "hang sangwich" thing come from? it does my head in when I hear people say it and then deny that that's what they said!
    I've always been curious about where it came from... ham to hang... sandwich to sangwich. Does anyone know how it came to be?

either way it should have brown sauce on it and I wouldn't complain if someone added some cheese and onion Taytos too..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby For This Useful Post:

Rooney2808 (08-11-21)

Reviews

Not sure where it originated but it's a piss take of culchies isn't it??
    Big fan of brown sauce but on a ham sandwich, I'm not so sure!

10. Default

We are unique breed of people here in Ireland but that's a good thing.

Reviews

My dad used to take ham sandwitchs with HP sauce to work on the sites evey day!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    where did this "hang sangwich" thing come from?
    I believe it goes back to the days when people cured their own bacon. The side of bacon would be hanging in the house and you'd cut yourself a doorstep of bread, take it over to the side of bacon and cut yourself a generous slice of meat which would be hanging over the sides of the bread,a second doorstep of bread on top was optional. And no washing up except the knife.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast